This holiday season, as you search for the perfect gift, remember that active people welcome gifts of good health such as a loaf of banana bread warm from the oven!
Heres a popular recipe from my new Sports Nutrition Guidebook (2008) -- a welcome gift in itself!
This is an all-time favorite banana bread recipe. Its key to success is using well-ripened bananas that are covered with brown speckles. Especially yummy for a pre-exercise snack.
3 large well-ripened bananas 1 teaspoon salt
1 egg or 2 egg whites 1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons oil, preferably canola 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup milk 1 1/2 cups flour, preferably
1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar half whole-wheat, half white
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Mash bananas with a fork. Add egg, oil, milk, sugar. Beat well.
3. Gently mix in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Stir just until moistened.
4. Pour into a 4 x 8 loaf pan that has been lightly oiled, treated
with cooking spray, or lined with wax paper. Bake 45 minutes,
or until a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean.
5. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
Yield: 12 slices Total calories: 1,600
135 calories per slice; 24 g Carb; 3 g Protein; 3 g Fat
For more ideas for recipes and nutrition books,[click here!|http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/Healthy__Holiday_Nutri-Gifts.htm]
Nancy Clark MS RD CSSD