During their initial appointment with me for a nutrition consultation, many of my clients complain they have “weird” eating habits. They even feel a bit embarrassed they can’t do something as simple as eat normally.
Some of these clients just need nutrition education to get them on the road to healthier food practices. Others have disordered eating practices or outright eating disorders.
If you wonder if you have an eating disorder, this SCOFF quiz can help assess your situation.
1. Do you make yourself Sick because you feel uncomfortably full?
2. Do you worry you have lost Control over how much you eat?
3. Have you recently lost more than 14 pounds in a 3-month period?
4. Do you believe yourself to be Fat when others say you are too thin?
5. Would you say that Food dominates your life?
Give yourself 1 point is for every "yes."
If you score 2 or higher, you likely are struggling with anorexia or bulimia.
www.SCANdpg.org (use the referral network to find a local sports dietitian)
Nancy Clark’s Sports Nutrition Guidebook – chapters on Dieting Gone Awry
"Beating Your Eating Disorder" by Glenn Waller and any of the books at www.gurze.com
Be wise and get help … you need not struggle on your own!