10 Steps to a Healthier Workday
As athletes (recreational or elite), we regularly consider our training protocol – we put a lot thought and effort into our pre, during, and post-workout regimens, but how often do we neglect the rest of the day? Busy, hectic schedules can increase stress, allow us to not eat properly and skip workouts. The key to a healthy diet and lifestyle does not involve a complete menu and routine overhaul, but rather small, permanent changes.
10 quick tips to improve the quality of your workday:
- Eat half your sandwich at lunch and save the other half for an afternoon snack.
- Replace potato chips or crackers with air-popped popcorn or baked chips.
- Find a lunch spot close to your work and walk.
- Use mustard (any variety), hummus, or lowfat mayo instead of regular mayo or dressings
- Try a cup of hot tea instead of an energy drink for that late-afternoon pick-me-up (yerba mate tea has a higher caffeine content than green and black). 1-2 teaspoons of sugar, honey, or agave add negligible Calories.
- Pre-cut and package your own fruits and vegetables (cucumber, jicama, celery, carrots, bell peppers, strawberries, grapes). Make several bags on Sunday evening and grab 1-2 on your way out the door each morning.
- If you know you will have a busy day, make an extra helping of dinner and bring the leftovers.
- Use subliminal messages – keep your running shoes on the floor next to your desk as a reminder to walk/run during lunch or immediately after work.
- Perfect your pizza – ask for ½ the normal amount of cheese, skip the meat and pile on fruits/vegetables: onions, bell peppers, olives, mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, tomato, pineapple.
- Go the extra mile – use the bathroom on the next floor each time you have to go.
Take a few steps each day (literally and figuratively) towards improved health and better training!