Skip navigation

Currently Being Moderated

San Francisco Long Run (Wow)

Posted by Steve Carton on Jun 23, 2008 1:28:41 PM

I was lucky enough to be in San Fancisco last week and since I usually do my long run late in the week, I decided to try and run it on Friday morning there. It was a fantastic run, though I had touble -- I was way too tired and dehydrated and ended up walking a bunch. But the run was well worth it for the scenery and the thrill.


I was staying at a hotel on 3rd and Market, so I chose a route down to the Embarcadero, then north past Crissy field and over the Golden Gate Bridge, and then back again.   Seemed to be about 16 miles. 


I got started around 7:30 am -- a little later than I had planned, but still early enough. It was warm in SF and I wnated to be done before it got too warm. I carried a water bottle, though the runners at Fleet Feet in SF had told me there was a lot of available water along the way.


San Francisco is a fantastic place to run and I tried to take some pictures with my cell phone along the way. They are crappy, but better than nothing? Maybe not.  Anyway, I hit the Embarcadero at the Ferry Building. There was this neat park/sculpture/waterfall:














I could see the Coit tower on my left as I ran along the waterfront. Alcatraz Island was popping in and out of view as I ran past buildings:









There were sooo many other runners out, I felt like I was at home, running with my fellow addict. As I passed Fishermans Warf, there were the very cute small fishing boats and all the neat local seafood restarants:










Then along past the aquatic center and up the hill to Fort Monroe. Then down the back-side of the fort park with a beatiful view of the water and the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance:










Then past the "Gas-House" cove and on to the  Yacht Club area. First water stop and bathroom break at about 4.5 miles. The on through Crissy field and up to the "Warming Hut" which is at the foot of the bridge. I took the steps up to the bridge...








And I walked those -- just too steep for this turtle. But then I was on the bridge and headed across:








The views were just plain fantastic. The Bridge was awe-inspiring.








I ran over to "Vista Point Park". Refilled the water bottle again. I waited there for about 20 minutes before starting back. For some reason my nose started bleeding and it took that long before it stopped. I didn't want to get underway again until I was sure it wasn't bleeding.




On the way back, I got a great view (and a lousy picture) of the workers painting the bridge cables:








Coming back, I got dehydrated and hot -- had to walk a bunch. Or, perhaps I pushed too fast for the first half. Or maybe the travel had exhausted me. Anyway, I was beat. But I will do that run again next time I'm in San Francisco.



Comments (0)