Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

Version Comparison: Need Advice when to start running after bone swelling in ankle? My Dr. is no help!

Comparing: Revision 2 » Revision 2

Color Key: Addition Deletion Change
Revision 2   By sbkrunner at 4 years, 2 months ago Revision 2   By sbkrunner at 4 years, 2 months ago

I had been training for my first 1/2 marathon (Marathon in Jan. 2001) last summer. I'm a new runner.  Was doing well up to this past May.  Was up to 8 miles, increasing only by 10%.  Then my ankles staring bothering me, mostly just a dull ache.  Then on a run, I had a sharp pain under my left ankle bone/heel.  Stopped running.  Waited 2 weeks.  There was no pain when not running. Tried to run and after 3 miles pain came back. I had no swelling what so ever. And no pain when not running, maybe just a dull ache.

Went to doc., x-ray showed nothing.  Had an MRI on left ankle bc doc suspected a stress fracture, but no stress fracture, just bone swelling.  He said a stress fracture may have occurred if I had kept running.  He said I may have increased mileage to quickly and not increased my calcium in-take by the look of my bone density.   So he stop running, start cross training.  We agreed for my to start a walk/run rehab program in august.

So August is here and the pain/ache has not gotten worst BUT I still feel aches it in both ankles and it comes/goes and it's never in the same spot, sometimes in/under ankle and sometimes in heel and now in my lower calve.  There is no pain, just dull aches.

I've been trying to talk to doc, waiting for a call back!

Just wondering if ALL aches should be gone before starting the walk/run rehab program?  I've used elliptical a few time a week, but only on low easy levels and have been doing strength training.  I've uped my calcium and Vitamin D intake too.

I feel ready except for minor dull aches. But I def. don't wabt to cause any more damage!  We have had a lot of high humidity which I heard causes aches?

Don't know what to do?

Thanks for any help!

I had been training for my first 1/2 marathon (Marathon in Jan. 2001) last summer. I'm a new runner.  Was doing well up to this past May.  Was up to 8 miles, increasing only by 10%.  Then my ankles staring bothering me, mostly just a dull ache.  Then on a run, I had a sharp pain under my left ankle bone/heel.  Stopped running.  Waited 2 weeks.  There was no pain when not running. Tried to run and after 3 miles pain came back. I had no swelling what so ever. And no pain when not running, maybe just a dull ache.

Went to doc., x-ray showed nothing.  Had an MRI on left ankle bc doc suspected a stress fracture, but no stress fracture, just bone swelling.  He said a stress fracture may have occurred if I had kept running.  He said I may have increased mileage to quickly and not increased my calcium in-take by the look of my bone density.   So he stop running, start cross training.  We agreed for my to start a walk/run rehab program in august.

So August is here and the pain/ache has not gotten worst BUT I still feel aches it in both ankles and it comes/goes and it's never in the same spot, sometimes in/under ankle and sometimes in heel and now in my lower calve.  There is no pain, just dull aches.

I've been trying to talk to doc, waiting for a call back!

Just wondering if ALL aches should be gone before starting the walk/run rehab program?  I've used elliptical a few time a week, but only on low easy levels and have been doing strength training.  I've uped my calcium and Vitamin D intake too.

I feel ready except for minor dull aches. But I def. don't wabt to cause any more damage!  We have had a lot of high humidity which I heard causes aches?

Don't know what to do?

Thanks for any help!