Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

Currently Being Moderated

Need Advice when to start running after bone swelling in ankle? My Dr. is no help!

VERSION 2  Click to view document history
Created on: Jul 31, 2010 10:07 AM by sbkrunner - Last Modified:  Aug 9, 2010 10:55 AM by sbkrunner

I had been training for my first 1/2 marathon (Marathon in Jan. 2001) last summer. I'm a new runner.  Was doing well up to this past May.  Was up to 8 miles, increasing only by 10%.  Then my ankles staring bothering me, mostly just a dull ache.  Then on a run, I had a sharp pain under my left ankle bone/heel.  Stopped running.  Waited 2 weeks.  There was no pain when not running. Tried to run and after 3 miles pain came back. I had no swelling what so ever. And no pain when not running, maybe just a dull ache.

Went to doc., x-ray showed nothing.  Had an MRI on left ankle bc doc suspected a stress fracture, but no stress fracture, just bone swelling.  He said a stress fracture may have occurred if I had kept running.  He said I may have increased mileage to quickly and not increased my calcium in-take by the look of my bone density.   So he stop running, start cross training.  We agreed for my to start a walk/run rehab program in august.

So August is here and the pain/ache has not gotten worst BUT I still feel aches it in both ankles and it comes/goes and it's never in the same spot, sometimes in/under ankle and sometimes in heel and now in my lower calve.  There is no pain, just dull aches.

I've been trying to talk to doc, waiting for a call back!

Just wondering if ALL aches should be gone before starting the walk/run rehab program?  I've used elliptical a few time a week, but only on low easy levels and have been doing strength training.  I've uped my calcium and Vitamin D intake too.

I feel ready except for minor dull aches. But I def. don't wabt to cause any more damage!  We have had a lot of high humidity which I heard causes aches?

Don't know what to do?

Thanks for any help!

Comments (0)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

More by sbkrunner