Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

Currently Being Moderated

What Happens In Vegas...Can Find A Cure

VERSION 1 
Created on: Jun 28, 2012 10:53 AM by ewarski - Last Modified:  Jun 28, 2012 10:55 AM by ewarski
Visibility: Open to anyone

Elise Warski

Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America, Georgia Chapter

404-982-0616

ewarski@ccfa.org

ATLANTA AREA RESIDENTS TEAM UP TO FIGHT DIGESTIVE DISEASES

ATLANTA, GA – June 27, 2012– Over 45,000 Georgia residents are living with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, two painful, unpredictable diseases of the digestive tract. Local residents are making a difference in the lives of such patients through Crohn’s & Colitis Team Challenge, an endurance training program run by the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America, whose mission is to cure these diseases. Through the Georgia chapter, participants will train for The Nashville Women’s Half Marathon on September 22nd or The Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon on December 2nd. Funds raised will positively impact the lives of those living with these devastating digestive diseases, including Atlanta resident, Jessica King.

Jessica was enjoying the life of a college student when she was hit with the debilitating symptoms of Crohn’s Disease.  She had no idea what was going on, so she decided to check herself into the hospital.  “Three surgeries later my surgeon could not figure out why I wasn’t getting better, so he sent me to a gastroenterologist”.  After seeing the gastroenterologist, Jessica finally got her diagnoses of Crohn’s Disease. “After being diagnosed I was taking 27 pills per day and was forced to quit my job because I was so sick.”  One of Jessica’s friends handed her a flyer about the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation’s Team Challenge Program.  “I had never run a step in my life but I decided to go just to meet people like myself.”  After attending an information meeting Jessica joined Team Challenge, “The next five months completely changed my life.  Not only did I build friendships with my teammates and learn how to run but I lost 40 pounds and built up enough confidence to start my own consulting business!”

The Crohn’s and Colitis Team Challenge program is currently recruiting participants for The Nashville Women’s Half Marathon and The Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon. Those wishing to make the commitment to fight for patients like Jessica train over a 16-week period on the weekends at a local venue. Coaches offer clinics on fitness, injury prevention, nutrition and other relevant topics, training participants to succeed on race day and beyond. Participants are given access to cutting-edge fundraising tools, including a free Web page for fundraising support and fundraising advice and assistance, to help patients win their battle with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.

Participants commit to raise funds for Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis research and in exchange for this commitment, the Foundation provides several months of training from professional coaches, as well as transportation to the event, free accommodations, race entry fees, admission to entertainment and events and the opportunity to share a life-changing experience with a group of caring individuals.

To attend an upcoming meeting or for more information about becoming involved in Crohn’s & Colitis Team Challenge, visit www.ccteamchallenge.org or contact Angel Whitworth at 404-982-0616 or awhitworth@ccfa.org.

About the Nashville Women’s Half Marathon

The Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation is the official charity of the Nashville Women’s Half Marathon.  On September 22, experience Music City at its finest --  The Country Music Hall of Fame, Music Row, Centennial Park, great Nashville neighborhoods and a street party in Downtown Nashville. The custom finisher's medal, designer goodie bag, cookie cafe and much, much more make this half marathon a spectacular event.

About the Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon

The Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation is the official charity of The Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon.  The race is the world’s largest night time running event.   On December 2, participants will run or walk down the world famous Las Vegas strip at night, taking the ultimate tour of Las Vegas.  The race starts in front of the Luxor Hotel and finishes mid-strip near Casear’s Palace and the Mirage, giving the participants an experience they will never forget.

About Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis
Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are painful, medically incurable illnesses that attack the digestive system. Crohn's disease may attack anywhere from the mouth to the anus, while ulcerative colitis inflames only the large intestine (colon). Symptoms may include abdominal pain, persistent diarrhea, rectal bleeding, fever and weight loss. Many patients require hospitalization and surgery.  These illnesses can cause severe complications, including colon cancer in patients with long-term disease. Some 1.4 million American adults and children suffer from Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, with as many as 150,000 under the age of 18.  Most people develop the diseases between the ages of 15 and 35.

About the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America
The Crohn's & Colitis Foundation's mission is to cure Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, and to improve the quality of life of children and adults affected by these diseases. The Foundation ranks third among leading health non-profits in the percentage of expense devoted to research toward a cure, and more than 83 cents of every dollar the Foundation spends goes to mission-critical programs. The Foundation consistently meets the standards of organizations that monitor charities, including the Better Business Bureau's Wise Giving Alliance (give.org) and the American Institute of Philanthropy (charitywatch.org). For more information, contact the Foundation at 800-932-2423 or visit www.ccfa.org

###

Comments (0)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

More by ewarski