Skip navigation

10549 Views 52 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2011 7:54 AM by Genedr59 RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Genedr59 Expert 56 posts since
Aug 15, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 25, 2011 6:14 AM

Just three of many questions re SHSHL

I just reviewed the 2008 SHSHL tax return and it showed a profit of $35,398.  Then it shows a carry over balance from 2007 of $100,814.  Which totals a whopping $136,212. thru the end of fiscal 2008!  I'm sure there's more coming from 2009 & 2010!

Question 1 - Why are they sitting on such a huge amount of money?  Couldn't they be trimming their profits to help struggling clubs field teams in this tough economy?  If  their fees were lower, players fees would be lowered and more parents could possibly afford for their kids to play!

Question 2 - Keep hearing from more and more people that the President and the VP have a financial interest in BCI!  Seems like a major conflict of interest along with the other conflicts of them being coaches and or referees!

Question 3 - How in fact does one get a position on their board?  I had to get their tax return to see who the officers are/were?  Nothing is available on their website!  When are the elections and who nominates the candidates?  Are we supposed to look for a puff of white smoke from a  chimney (like when the cardinals elect a new pope behind closed doors)?

I would welcome discussion and views on these questions.  It is our money and I think we should get some answers!

• MyTwoSons Community Moderator 225 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. May 25, 2011 9:07 AM (in response to Genedr59)
    Re: Just three of many questions re SHSHL

Are they a Not For Profit organization or a For Profit Organization?  If the later...they can do anything they want.  Could they be saving the money for a huge capital expense?  $100,000 could be eaten up quickly just on repairs.

May 30, 2007
    3. May 25, 2011 10:21 AM (in response to Genedr59)

No it does not bring up more questions.  There are a lot of fees and expenditures that you may not be aware of.  You should worry if they do not have a surplus.  I am aware of a league that collapsed because of money that was embezzled.  I used to be a board member for a non profit baseball league.  They don't own the fields, but they do have to maintain them.  They pay for umpires, uniforms, baseballs (about $3000 per season, 2 seasons per year), maintenance of  the fields including water and power.   To replace the netting for just one backstop is going to be $22,000.  The water bill is about $4000 a month.  They may even be funding scholarships.  You do not know about all the little things that can quickly add up unless you are on the board.  If they hold a big tournament at major facility...they don't get it for free...They have to pay rent and insurance for the event(s).

It is not your money.  When you paid the fees it ceased to be your money.

May 30, 2007
    5. May 25, 2011 10:40 AM (in response to Genedr59)

And you have not seen the 2009 or 2010...No charge for the lesson.

• goodhockey Amateur 16 posts since
    Jan 4, 2006
    6. May 25, 2011 10:53 AM (in response to MyTwoSons)

Not only does the league charge the member clubs fees but they charge the parents (who pay the club fees) a gate fee to see their own kids play. The cost to play high school hockey is as much or close to as much to play travel for far less games. So I can only assume the club tuitions are going to pay for referees, game ice, practice ice and uniforms. What does the league do except hoard money?

May 30, 2007
    8. May 25, 2011 3:00 PM (in response to Genedr59)

No I am not clueless.  As a non profit They are REQUIRED to provide the purpose of their fees and/or any fundraising and an accounting to be able to collect those fees!!! 

• Practical Sam Amateur 31 posts since
    Mar 4, 2010
    10. May 26, 2011 3:17 AM (in response to Genedr59)

Well, it won't take much to do away with this thing.  You just need 4-6 clubs to get together and play their own schedule one year, and then the next year, everyone will join.  No more SHSHL.

• hockeylogic101 Amateur 20 posts since
    Mar 24, 2009
    11. May 26, 2011 9:14 AM (in response to Practical Sam)

If you have a problem with the SHSHL, do something about it!! I go to every meeting. Elections are held. High school hockey in this are(Montgomery, Bucks, Delaware & Chester counties) is finally getting reconized by not only schools but local media as well. It is not the most well oiled machine, but its run very efficiently. As for the bank account, that is up to the league to discuss not outsiders who have no vested interest. Did you ever think what would happen if a kid was hurt & a law suit was issued? The lawyer would include everyone from the coach, refs, school, rink & league in the suit. Manyquestions, again you have a problem w/ DB & the way C B West runs its program, Thats all well & good, but don't bash all of high school hockey because of your bad experiences. The mentally is that you have to play travel, the farther you travel the better you are. Thats all B S. You want to talk about money hungry. Its not how much talent you have, its the size of your check book. Did you see how many fans showed up to the championship series last yr? 75% were student coming out to support there team & there school. If you got a problem, get involved. Don't tell me you can't because of legal issues or the team won't let you, thats B S as well.

May 30, 2007
    12. May 26, 2011 9:18 AM (in response to Genedr59)

Report them to the IRS and your state's taxing authority.....Money that is not used according to mission statement, the bylaws and articles of incorporation means they are operating for profit...THAT IS TAXABLE.  That should get some attention.  You can also contact your local news.

• goaldad33 Amateur 15 posts since
    May 17, 2000
    13. May 26, 2011 9:39 AM (in response to Genedr59)

I have no answer for the surplus funds (if indeed they are).

However a couple of clarifications from what was said on this thread.

1.  In SHSHL, the home team plays the refs, it is not paid by the league fees.

2. I believe gate fees for varsity games are split between the rink and league.  The rink pays for the people to sell the tickets, collect the tickets and provide security (as required) for each game.   JV games are free.

3.  ICSHL is run by the same guy that runs Iceline.   Don't think that's the case in SHSHL, but in either case, I don't really see a big conflict of interest.   Ice costs what it costs.  If there is a big surplus in the kitty, then I think that says BCI is not overcharging the league for ice.

4.  Never heard that the teams were forbidden by the league to talk to the schools.  Fact of the matter is that most teams have gone to their school boards to try and get the hockey teams under the school control.  Most school boards have declined for a lot of reasons.   Two main ones are cost (they own the fields and gyms, don't own the rinks and can't control that cost) and the liability issues.   Also over the last several years the leagues have tried to align their teams in divisions like Suburban one, separate out the non-public schools from the public schools within the leagues etc.  There are a few schools that are consider Ice hockey a full varsity sport (such as LaSalle), however even there where there is some school financial support, the players still pay $1000 or more to play.  There are some schools that recognize hockey as a club sport and provide a small amount of funds,  some do answer to the school district AD's in some regards, and some the school district wants nothing to do with the teams, even to the extreme of not allowing any posting of any information on the hockey team in the school.  It's a mixed bag.   If you think you can find a way to get the schools to get involved in the sport -good luck you're a miracle worker.

5.  The league isn't killing high school hockey, the economy along with junior teams that don't allow players to play HS is what's killing it.   The league has done what it could to separate the non-public schools from the public schools, put struggling non-public schools in divisions where they can't compete all under the idea these schools can recruit........they have the notion that if the can limit the opportunities for the non-public schools, more kids will stay in their public schools to play ice hockey.    Bottom line is high school hockey has too much competition, and if you are a good player and have to make a choice based on finances, you're not going to play HS.

6.  If you want to learn more how the league works, start within your own program, ask them the fee structure, how much does the league get, how much goes to practice ice, coaches stipends etc.....

I haven't bought ice in a long time, but I'm sure even at a bulk rate that the league or your own team buys it's still in the range of $300 an hour........that might be too low.

7.  Don't think it's that easy to just start your own league.....if the drawing card for players of playing high school is getting to the Flyers cup and to the state title game, the flyers cup committee is made up from the different leagues that you are leaving, don't think their will be a whole lot of acceptance to get into the flyers cup.....

8.  Lastly, most if not all of the league board members are volunteers who spend a tremendous amount of hours doing league business.   I'm sure they'd like the help.  That doesn't say that they don't  have their own agendas. but until others step up to the plate, that's what you got.  If I remember the league president offered to step down a couple of years ago, but no one wanted to take his place.....what does that say about the job????

May 30, 2007
    14. May 26, 2011 9:20 AM (in response to hockeylogic101)

You are incorrect Hockey...If they are a Non Profit they MUST disclose how the money is being used for the benefit of those that pay the fees, BEFORE THEY COLLECT THE FEES!

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points