Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1556 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2011 11:41 AM by Raserei
slowskinnyrunner Pro 67 posts since
Apr 11, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 25, 2011 6:19 AM

What keeps you going when the voice inside your head says, "ARE YOU CRAZY!!"

What keeps your feet moving in the worst part of your runs?

For me I think about the 18 year old that I saw on the news who was in a car accident and walked on artificial legs across the stage to get his diploma. I just think about how he would give just about anything to walk/run without any assistance. It broke my heart to see all that determination on his face and when I think about not pushing hard enough I feel guilty for wasting what I have, however little that may be.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else wanted to share.

Ham Jam Hog Wild Run 5K - April 16, 2011....................37.32

State Games of MS Cross Country 5K - June 4, 2011......39.03

Slow Poke 5K - August 13, 2011....................................37.17

Rush Run For Your Heart - September 24, 2011...............37.39

Homecoming 5K - October 8, 2011.................................

Run For Home 10K - November 12, 2011.........................

Jingle Bell Run 5K - December 3, 2011............................

It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit. ~George Sheehan

• jliller3 Pro 119 posts since
    May 6, 2011

I generally get mad at the me who has waited this long to tackle this.  I have always been jealous of people who run.  I even have reoccuring dreams about finishing races.  It has been like this for about 13 years!  So, i finally decided to overcome the me who is saying "you're crazy."  It seems to work for me.

jeannette

"Spectacular achievements are always preceded by unspectacular preparation" ~Roger Staubach

Started C25K - April 18, 2011

Graduated C25K - June 17, 2011

Started Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Program - June 19, 2011

First 5K - July 2, 2011  Time:  34:21

2nd 5K - August 13, 2011   Time:  33:18

• woodbutcher21 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 25, 2011

I think abou all the times I was a "quitter" in the past.  I think about all my regrets and wasted youth not doing what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it.  I think about what it means to start something and finish it.  I think about being a winner and how good it feels to accomplish something.  Usually all the negative thoughts results in a runners high and I run faster or longer.  I still wish I could go back and fix my mistakes but at least I know now that I am benifiting from them.

Thanks for a thoughtful question.

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I think about how far I have come.. and where I would like to be in my fitness goals.

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010

Ultimately, you need to ask yourself what seperates a champion from everyone else?   The answer is simple.....being a champion isnt decided by your level of talent, it is decided by your level of sacrifice!  Champions make sacrifices!   You are all making sacrifices to get to where you want to be, that makes every one of you a champion!!!!!

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

• Raserei Amateur 13 posts since
    May 27, 2011

10 years ago I ran track in high school. As we settled in blocks (I was the one who wanted to sprint because it was shorter distance. We thought shorter = easier) we said to each other "why the heck are we doing this again?". But as we crossed the line and had a high we knew the personal sacrifice (as someone said earlier) and rush was well worth it - not to mention the fitness aspect! I didn't run again until recently, and I'm trying hard to get back into that level of fitness again that I took for granted. I want to be a "hot mom" haha... I'm nearing 30 and hope to start having a family with my husband, and I want to be a fit mom who can keep up (not to mention being more "fit" for my husband!) The feeling says it all. Nice thread!

Raserei - 5K Runner, Agility Dog Handler

05/15/11 - Bob Potts 5K (first race ever) - 39.46

06/04/11 - Hope for Cope 5K - 36.11

07/09/11 - Habitat for Humanity 5K -

07/30/11 - Sunset Stretch 5K -

08/20/11 - Run for the Park CC Challenge 5K -

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...