Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1219 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2011 2:31 AM by RonBurk75 RSS
RonBurk75 Rookie 4 posts since
May 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 21, 2011 6:14 AM

speed zones (garmin)

Is there any way to see my speed or pace zones for an activity recorded using a Garmin (forerunner or edge, I'm training for triathlon and use both)? Something like a chart or a table detailing how much time I've spent in pace zones within an activity? Like: 2mi at 5 min/mi, 3 mi at 5:30, etc.
There is a similar table in the garmin training center, but it's hard to read and based on configured speed zones. That does not help if you train for speed one day and endurance the next day, or if you do hills etc. I need something that can sort of configure itself based on the given activity (I don't want to configure software every time).
Garmin connect seems to lack this feature entirely. There is a report but it seems to me that is based on historical data, like how much time I've spent on a speed zone in the last week. That might be useful for monitoring your load but I'm more interested in analyzing my performance on an activity basis.
There are like a gazillion applications for garmin but the ones I've tried all look alike: a diary, a map, a few basic charts, some basic reports. They seem to cater more to the recreational runner looking for a community of peers than to someone who's actually interested in analyzing his performance.
Can you guys suggest me something better?
Ron
  • PaulaHelker Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 11, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 26, 2011 3:22 AM (in response to RonBurk75)
    Re: speed zones (garmin)
    Hey Ron,
    I tend to agree, most apps look alike, and show very little data. I had a problem with calories time ago, so I asked in this forum and got a suggestion for a very different app, the sportietech studio:
    it's an alpha release and so it's a bit rough, but it looks like it's the exact complement of the others:
    - you can't save your data in a diary (I guess because of the alpha version thing)
    - you get LOT of new data, in charts and reports
    - the map is there, but color-coded to show speed
    - speed zones are present under the "insights" tab
    - you can slide and dice your data and get details about everything
    I think it's exactly what you're looking for: no configuration, the histogram is based on the data you upload. Here is an example:
    ActiveInsights.png
    I like that it's not restricted to speed/pace zones, you also get heart rate zones, etc. And oh, it's free
    Hope that helps
    Paula

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points