Skip navigation

1045 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2011 4:30 PM by AirJordanFan RSS
Killercross5 Amateur 8 posts since
Sep 8, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 29, 2011 10:09 PM

How to handle gametime pressure?

Hi guys. I'm a 5'4 point guard. I started off 2 years ago playing one-on-one at home and right now I am unguardable one on one: I have handles, shot, and amazing finishes. my only problem is when i joined the team this year I had a hard time transitioning to real game 5-on-5. The pressure would get to me where i wouldn't no what to do. I usually plan my moves, either jump-shot or getting to the basket, but in real game, the pressure just gets to me. My coach knows how good i am at one-on-one, but he also knows i struggle with 5-on-5. If anyone has any good tips about anything that you think will help with getting over the pressure, scoring, passing, anything that will make me a better scorer/player, please post. Thanks in advance.

• sportsfan050 Amateur 25 posts since
    May 20, 2011
    1. May 30, 2011 8:44 AM (in response to Killercross5)
    Re: How to handle gametime pressure?

Well first of all the 5 on 5 play will become better with experience. Focus on working with ur teamates to get good team chemistry and then when it comes to gametime its more of a reaction to things that happen than a plan cuz sometimes the defense acan read ur plan. Im the opposite of u i dont do very well 1 on 1 im a guy that likes to pass come off screens and use picks. Eventually the game will just come natural. The pressure part, just dont think about it.

• smiley37 Amateur 10 posts since
    May 30, 2011
    2. May 30, 2011 10:35 AM (in response to Killercross5)

I agree with the person above, you should just practice playing 5 on 5 or any other matchups that have other people.  I would suggest maybe as an exercise, play a game where your trying to get your teammates involved as much as possible.  Point Guards are most effective when they have the individual talent (as you have) mixed with the ability to create plays for your teammates.  You could try this idea I have heard before, where you play a game but you never try to score, but rather always look to make a pass.  Though this is not ideal in real game situations, it will help your decisionmaking in games.  As far as knowning what to do, just make sure that you understand the plays that are being run, and then practice different situations, from when you could be double teamed, driving the open lane, pick and roll, or kicking it out to a teammate.

• balla2011 Legend 285 posts since
    Feb 26, 2011
    3. May 30, 2011 10:50 AM (in response to smiley37)

yea, i have the same problem im a great player but under pressure i just choke, but what ive learned that can help is that have fun, and just dont care about anything, just do your thing most of the time people arent good under pressure because they are scared too mess up but if u tell yourself whatever i dont care if i mess up, and you just play and have fun the game is really easy... remember basketball is still a game, we play it too have fun

• AirJordanFan Amateur 20 posts since
    May 30, 2011
    4. May 30, 2011 4:30 PM (in response to Killercross5)

I had that problem but I dont any more. It helps to pick a good player that plays the same position as you and pretend your that person in the game. Try it it works.

Also just play to have fun.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points