Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2700 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 29, 2012 9:29 AM by jjwaverly_42
BackOnTrack2006 Rookie 4 posts since
Dec 22, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

May 4, 2007 9:13 PM

A New Perspective....

Hey everyone, this is my first post on any board, but I saw the Clyde and Philly forum and knew this was the place to chime in.

I want to say right up front that I now have an even greater appreciation for everyone that falls into our race category. I once was one of those stick figure folks that cruised along. Then, following college, I got married, then my wife and I brought two children into the world, and all of a sudden I am looking in the mirror to find a person that grew on me - literally. In my college racing days I was 150 lbs, 85 pounds later I realized something had to change.

Fast forward to last Sunday, I am toeing the line for a local 5k, my first race since college. It took 5 months of walking an hour everyday, and then gradually adding running back into the mix, dealing with FAR MORE lower leg injuries, and eventually, more miles of acceptance and running at a pace slower than I had been accustomed to. I had brought my weight down to 205 at one point, but as I built muscle I added some weight.

23:12 after the gun, I crossed the finish line to the smiles and cheers of my two little boys - excited to see their Daddy complete "the big race" (it was a very local, very small 5k fundraiser in the town where I live), but for my little guys I was running the heroic and hellish 26.2m from Hopkinton to Boston.

The moral here is twofold: for those of us that carry a little more on the course, we can still compete and enjoy the sport. After three attempts at "making a comeback" I fell victim to stress factures, and thought to myself: "well that is it, I am never racing again". But with a couple steps, to a couple minutes, soon it became a couple miles, and then, EUREKA! I am able to race again. My weight still bothers me a little, but in addition to smartly increasing my mileage, and listening to my body, I am watching my nutritional decisions. I'd love to get back to 180 at the very least, but even if that day never arrives I take comfort that I am once again A RUNNER.

Much respect and love to every Clyde and Philly who takes the two bravest and most important steps any runner can take each day - those two steps out the door to go run.

Here's to many miles of greatness!

• Brian McN Amateur 240 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. May 4, 2007 9:34 PM (in response to BackOnTrack2006)
    Re: A New Perspective....

I also had a long layoff from running.  I think the hardest thing which you have touched upon was getting out and getting used to running a lot slower then your old training paces.  For me this led to one injury after another.  After three years I'm breaking my old PR's again and things are going a little smoother as I haven't had an injury take me down hard in about a year and a half.  
    The advice I can give someone who has returned to running after a long break is to find your new training pace, be consistent about your running, try to enjoy your runs (leave the watch at home sometimes), and be patient.  Also don't increase the load too quickly.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    2. May 5, 2007 3:27 PM (in response to BackOnTrack2006)

It`s good to see acknowledgement that running as a heavier person is harder.

I was never skinny and never a runner - I started running in Dec - I used to hide on the treadmill at the back of the gym where no one could see me - then I finally got up the courage to run a mile outside - I felt so good that i did something I never imagined I could i stopped worrying about my size - I stopped hiding at the back of the gym and hold me head up now.

I took some running classes, started a training program to build up to 20 mpw + I signed up for my first race. I ended up injured 2 weeks before the race - I pushed through ran anyway - felt like a millon bucks - but I did make the injury worse - set me back 7 weeks

I reasssessed the program I was following one and switched to onee that has a higher daily milage but only 3 days a week of running - I have ran 2 more races and just registered for a HM in the fall.

2 days ago someone called me a runner ... I realised I had turned myself into something I never thought I could - litle by little - step by step.

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• GreenEggsAndHam Expert 312 posts since
    Jun 4, 2006
    4. May 7, 2007 7:09 AM (in response to BackOnTrack2006)

Oh god, getting back in after a layoff can be so hard--- You keep thinking of what you could do... So not only are you tempted to do too much too soon and get yourself injured, but you don't get that reinforcement you got the first time around.

When I could first run 3 miles, I was so happy. Getting back into running, I beat myself up over only being able to run 3 miles.

So hard to just think forward!

• Rod Jetton Rookie 2 posts since
    May 31, 2011
    5. May 31, 2011 10:25 AM (in response to BackOnTrack2006)

I just found this site and read your post.  Almost sounds like me except I was 160 in college but the 225 I am now is making getting in shape hard.  thanks for the motivation!!!

• Jessica Reno Amateur 10 posts since
    May 7, 2009
    6. Feb 29, 2012 9:02 AM (in response to BackOnTrack2006)
    A New Perspective....

I was never a runner...period. I spent 10 years in the NAVY and HATED running.  Nine years later and I LOVE IT! I think it has something to do with I learned HOW to run by doing the C25k.  In the Navy, they just say "go run".  I was 170 when I enlisted, 203 when I separated and couldn't run for more than one lap around the track.  Nine years later, although my weight has gone up more to 225, I can run 3-5 miles and walk even more without much of a problem.

July 4, 1999 Firecracker 5k, Pensacola Fl - 38:55 (VERY FIRST ONE)

June 26, 2011 Race for Logan 5k - Summerville, SC - 38:13 (tore hip flexor)

November 5, 2011 Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon Savannah GA, 3:23:47 (with an 8 minute stop to go to the bathroom)

March 10, 2012 Flowertown 5k - Summerville SC - 39:45

May 20, 2012 Diva Half Marathon, North Myrtle Beach, SC - 3:07.01(dropped 17 minutes+ from my first 1/2 Marathon!!)

April 28, 2013 - DIVA Half Marathon, North Myrtle Beach, SC -

• jjwaverly_42 Pro 388 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Feb 29, 2012 9:29 AM (in response to Jessica Reno)
    A New Perspective....

I never liked running until I trained for a race and ran one. Competing, trying to realize potential, and pushing past your limits is a whole different mindset than running for exercise.  Whenever I tried running for exercise, it was about things like looking better and losing weight---I found that boring, and lost interest. I have never lost interest in racing. It's so much fun, and I love training. And writing and talking about running!

Excellent post. Keep going!

--Jimmy

p.s. I wrote a brief blog about a conversation I had with someone about this topic--it's in my signature below (Seeing Bellybutton to Bellybutton)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...