Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2384 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2011 2:11 PM by runblakerun
runblakerun Rookie 4 posts since
Jul 17, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 1, 2011 7:00 PM

Training for first triathlon...nose plug???

Training for my first triathlon and I keep getting a ton of water up my nose. Are nose plugs an option or would I be the only one there sporting a noseplug? Should I just try to tough it out?

• kakkoon Amateur 24 posts since
    May 10, 2011
    1. Jun 1, 2011 7:34 PM (in response to runblakerun)
    Re: Training for first triathlon...nose plug???

Well, as I always say, I am not an expert... but I`ve been watching a lot of videos of triathlon and worked in the staff of 7 Ironmans Brazil.... and I saw a buch of athletes using nose plugs...
    I don`t use them cause I don`t need them... well, that if I use on;y one side to breathe... even though I`ve been trainning both sides... the left side for me I always get a little drawned LOL

I think you should try the nose clips...they might help you... but that means you will release the air only through your mounth....wich could make the time of breathing a little different....

Just try it before your race if you have one... well I have my frirst in about 10 days...and what I here at most is that you shouldn`t try anything new near or at the day of the race!

Hope more experienced people answer you... that is only my amateur opinion....even though I swim for a long time already... is just my first TRI....

Good trainning for you !

• Amigold Legend 187 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007
    2. Jun 2, 2011 7:58 AM (in response to runblakerun)

OK, I'll bite and admit I use a nose plug. I have a terribly deviated septum due to breaking my nose twice when young and I simply cannot seem to keep water out of my nasal passages otherwise.

I used one in a 70.3, an Olympic and several sprints. No one looked at me weird, but then again, if you are worried about what you look like in a tri, you are in the wrong sport and need to sign up for beach volleyball. We are all smushed into shiny black wetsuits along with funny colored caps and weird looking eye things. A nose plug is going to be low comedy in this crowd.

The idea is to use what makes you comfortable. so if it makes you comfortable, I say go for it. Now, I use one one  on an attached neck thong in case some thrashing swimmer knocks it off my nose, but only in racing. In practice, I use a Speedo stand alone (no cord) as it's waaay more comfortable than the brands that have attached neck thongs. I will admit the ones on the thongs look like something a 4 year old would wear. But I quit worrying about what I look like 10 seconds after the start horn.

My husband wears these giant tinted goggles that make him look like Superfly. His look trumps my nose plug by a mile.

Terry

• kakkoon Amateur 24 posts since
    May 10, 2011
    3. Jun 2, 2011 8:31 AM (in response to Amigold)

LOL I use those googles too...!!!

But I Love them.. as I use contacts ..they are great

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points