Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1238 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2011 6:38 PM by Designeer
ABalleron Rookie 1 posts since
May 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 20, 2011 5:38 PM

Coming Back From ACL Surgery but something is wrong!

Hey guys, new member here! Well I had arthroscopic surgery for my ACL on my right knee Nov. 2010 and its been a little more than 6 months since then. I injured it playing basketball and I'm right now trying to get back into it but it just doesn't feel right. I had ACL surgery on my left knee back in July 2009 and 6 months after I was feeling good, felt my knee was strong again. I had no backtracks, just kept getting better and better until I finally injured my right one. Well for my right knee I feel like its been tougher. First 3 months after surgery it was going well, felt like I was gonna be back in no time. But after I got out of PT which was 3 months after surgery, I had to do therapy on my own. Well the first day I did it alone, I did all the regular workouts and ran more than I usually did because I just felt so good. I also did some machines I might not have suppose to not have done because they didn't have the ones at the gym that they had at the therapy place. I think I did some leg press, not sure. But the next day my knee was so sore that it was painful. It hurt to bend my knee and jump off it. So I took a break for a while and got back into therapy for it. Felt like it was getting better but not the way it did before that day I overdid it at the gym. Well in beginning of May I started playing basketball again, not too competitive just some light pick up games. As I kept playing I felt like it was getting better and better. But last Sunday, I played for about 2 hours straight just because I was having a good day. Well the next day I tried to play again but I was moving slow on defense and I felt like something was wrong with my knee. When I got home to look at it, I noticed that it had gotten really swollen above my knee. So I took a break from playing for about 5 days and then started playing again. (Yes, I am very stubborn haha) Well my knee just doesn't feel right. I can't stop quickly or take like deep cuts towards the basket. I can, but I move VERY slowly and I'm a guard so its noticeable! I've been getting that feeling of not breaking real well for a while now, I'm not sure if it was after I overdid it at the gym. I'm only 19 so I feel I can come back from this with no problems but I'm beginning to get worried. The swelling has gone down a bit. But I'm not sure if its a matter of just rehabbing and strengthening my muscles to support my knees or the fact that I may have injured something or have a stress fracture. Any reccomendations on what I should do would be great, hope you guys can help! Thank you for your time it is very much appreciated!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points