Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1237 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2011 7:21 PM by Designeer RSS
stevetpa Amateur 14 posts since
May 15, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 17, 2011 11:21 AM

Knee Problem - Can anyone help to identify?

I have had this problem for years and at times, I have had to quit running for a while.  This is as good of a description that I can provide:

- Right knee only - sort of around the left side of the kneecap/quadricep when looking down at it...more like in the lower part of the quad, top left of the kneecap.

- It will start to feel tight or stiff and gets somewhat tender if I continue to run.

- No acute pain - more like stiffness, followed by an ache if I keep running through

- Gets worse as I run faster paces or increase mileage

- At slower paces and up to about 50 miles per week during marathon training, the discomfort would gradually increase as mileage increased, but a day or 2 off would cause it to subside again, so for about 3 months during marathon training, I would run every other day, which seemed to work best for me.

- There is no popping or grinding

- I wear a Mueller's Strap under the kneecap and it reduces or slows down the rate at which the stiffness intensifies in the quad or around the knee.

- I always ice it and suppose it helps

- I stretch before and after all runs.

- It usually feels the worst a day or so after a run, but is usually invisible during the run.

I have had this condition for years, tried custom orthotics which made no difference at all and have taken several years off during several periods.  Then, when I resume running, it will gradually appear again and I need to try to control it by limiting mileage, keep to slower paces, etc.  I thought that it may be patellar tendinitis, but doesn't really fit the symptoms in the www.mayoclinic.com/health/patellar-tendinitis description.

Would having an MRI of the quad the general area be something to consider.

Any feedback is appreciated.  I feel that this is limiting my potential as I need to stop or limit the hard training sessions.

Thanks,

Steve

• Chase Kerlin Expert 39 posts since
    Apr 20, 2008
    1. May 18, 2011 11:32 AM (in response to stevetpa)
    Re: Knee Problem - Can anyone help to identify?

hello!

i am a huge fan of looking at the form and gear used in running as well as the injury. are you in motion control shoes, changing brand, or maybe in the wrong size? i am also a firm believer in a midfoot strike instead of a heel strike. i had major knee trouble after i started running 100 and two weeks after i had 0 pain and increased mileage. now 1 year later im about 125-150 miles a week and still injury free. i break down pose/tarahumara running in detail on ny website at http://www.eliterunnersworld.com/tarahumararunning

hope this helps. i also have a link on my site where u can send ur question to 2 doctors working with my site.

Visit my website http://www.eliterunnersworld.com for the latest in gear, workouts, and injury advice all for free!

• aj01 Pro 143 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008
    2. May 20, 2011 12:50 AM (in response to stevetpa)

I would suspect quadraceps tendonitis from your description, specifically where the VMO connects to the kneecap.  You hear alot more about patellar tendonitis (below the kneecap) but not much on the connective tissue above the kneecap.  Unfortunately, I have some soreness on both at a much lower mileage.  Stretching seems to help some, both quads and hamstrings and even on non-running days as well as strengthening.  Leg presses and leg extensions seem to work well for me.  I can't say the pain is 100% gone but over time it's getting better, some days better than others.  You might try ramping up more gradually or building more base mileage before you start your marathon training as it sounds like overuse.  I too have gone from heel-striking to more of a forefoot strike and I think it helps a little.

• Chase Kerlin Expert 39 posts since
    Apr 20, 2008
    4. May 20, 2011 1:56 PM (in response to stevetpa)

It was a little awkward for me at first, but literally the second time I tried it it felt awkward to hit my heel.  Just make sure when making the transition that you do not chop with your toes pointed down or you will start to get shin splints.  Your toes need to stay up and your stride needs to keep your legs under your general center of mass, not out in front of you like a heel stike would be.  The majority of the stride is done behind you almost like tried to scrape dog poo off your shoe if that analogy helps.  I hope you do transition to it as everyone that I have seen make the change is loving it and is suffering less than 5% of their previous injuries. 

http://www.eliterunnersworld.com/tarahumararunning

Visit my website http://www.eliterunnersworld.com for the latest in gear, workouts, and injury advice all for free!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,276 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. May 20, 2011 5:17 PM (in response to Chase Kerlin)

Chase Kerlin wrote:

. . . not out in front of you like a heel stike . . .

This is the definition of overstriding, not heel striking.  They are not the same thing.

Len

Len

• Designeer Pro 125 posts since
    Jan 28, 2010
    6. Jun 2, 2011 7:21 PM (in response to stevetpa)

How about going over the handlbars at speed on a bicycle and smashing the kneecap into the concrete...................that makes me a patellar and knee expert.......and if I can run now after that..........prolotherapy can certainly fix what you got which is so much less than what I had...I nearlt shattered my entire knee..........I am not sure why it didn't...........

www.getprolo.com  for Tampa docs

www.prolonews.com

I am not marketing for them, I really am just a patient trying to spread the word.believe it or not..............

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points