Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

700176 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Vicky Acker Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 29, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    510. Jun 3, 2011 9:45 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Did my long run yesterday and it was so nice decided to run outside.  There is a rail trail very near work and did the first 7 of the total 9.5 miles on that.  The surface is a packed fine gravel and when I finally got back to the pavement it felt horrible to run on the harder surface.  This was my longest run and will try to do a long one every week or two depending on how much time I have.  Am trying to work on speed for my 5Ks but was in a punchy mood one day and signed up for both a half and a full marathon in fall.  Considering I have only been running for about 2 months or so it was a bit bold, but I feel pretty good today so doable I think.  For the half they kick you off the course at the 4 hour mark, and since my run yesterday only took me about 2 hrs, I figure I would be fine with time even if I had to walk the remainder so the pressure is off.  Am trying to run more out in the heat instead of an air-conditioned gym and find that alot harder than it looks.  My half in November is a road race and will see how that goes.  If it feels anything like the 2.5 miles on pavement yesterday, I may need to do only short distances as roadraces and look into trail runs for the longer distances.  Am taking the day off today because tomorrow is my first 5-miler.  Since I get all excited for races and go out much faster than I practice, it should be interesting to say the least.

Completed:

5/21/11 3rd Annual Hear We Go 5K- 27:36 (1st race ever)

5/28/11 Kay's Kamp 5K- 26:42.5

6/4/11 Old New Castle 5-miler- 44:37 (PR) (1st 5 miler)

6/18/11 Chocolate Miracle Race 5K- 25:08.3 (PR)

Future:

9/4/11 Virginia Beach Rock'N'Roll Half Marathon (my first half)

11/5/11 Amish 1/2 Marathon

11/20/11 Bucks County Marathon (my first full)

???Maybe doing New Orleans Rock and Roll Marathon March 2012, will see..

• slowskinnyrunner Pro 67 posts since
    Apr 11, 2011
    511. Jun 3, 2011 10:39 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

My last run was yesterday at about 7p.m. I was HOT but wonderful. It was my longest so far and I have been doing this 5 mile route for about 3 weeks, once a week, now. I did have to walk alot on the last half but I was okay with that considering. I will not run today because I have a 5K tomorrow. Nervous and excited.

Ham Jam Hog Wild Run 5K - April 16, 2011....................37.32

State Games of MS Cross Country 5K - June 4, 2011......39.03

Slow Poke 5K - August 13, 2011....................................37.17

Rush Run For Your Heart - September 24, 2011...............37.39

Homecoming 5K - October 8, 2011.................................

Run For Home 10K - November 12, 2011.........................

Jingle Bell Run 5K - December 3, 2011............................

It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit. ~George Sheehan

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    512. Jun 3, 2011 3:51 PM (in response to Navre)

@ Navre: Great job on your first 5k! I've run several and my best time is 27:42!

@ Alll: I ran 4 miles on Wednesday in celebration of National Running Day. It was 92 degrees, which was pretty crazy, but I felt like I had to get a run in that day. Just carried water with me. I did 2 miles on the treadmill yesterday and will be running the River Run for Hope 10K in the morning. This will be my 2nd 10K this year. My goal is 3, which I'll do next month with the Peachtree Road Race. It's been HOT out here in Georgia. I'm hoping we can stay at a comfortable temp for the duration of the race. I really want to break my 10K PR of 1:00:17. That being said, 59:59 would make make happy. lol

Good luck to everyone running/racing this weekend!

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

Nov 30, 2007
    513. Jun 3, 2011 3:52 PM (in response to pamburrus)

Hey Pam, best of luck on your half! Can't wait to hear about it.

PR's

Nov 30, 2007
    514. Jun 4, 2011 8:48 AM (in response to NRDgirl)

Well guys, I'm happy to report that I finished my 10K in less than an hour this morning! Yes! I got in at 59:02, a new PR. Woohoo! We had great weather during the race, mid 70's, low humidity and a nice breeze. The course was pretty flat and well shaded by lots of trees. There was about 1.5 miles of trail, which I had never done before. It wasn't too bad, but I really didn't like feeling the rocks under my feet. So, I ran faster to get past it. I'm feeling great right now.

Can't wait to hear about everyone else's races/runs this weekend.

PR's

• HoundMom Amateur 32 posts since
    Jan 3, 2011
    515. Jun 4, 2011 9:51 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    This week has been good for getting out there: Monday 2.75 miles, Tuesday did a kick butt 5 mile fireroad loop (waddled around for two days in pain after), yesterday 2.75 and today did a 4 mile loop. I know I need to speed up my time since I'm only going between 11-12mm depending on the length of the run, but I can't seem to break through this wall. I've got my first 10k July 4th and I really don't want to be the last one coming in. Any suggestions?

Disneyland Half Marathon - 9/4/11 - 2:45:28 *first race completed...yay!

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

• protometal Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    516. Jun 4, 2011 11:41 AM (in response to HoundMom)

With an record 5k time as an adult of 27:11, I finished 1st in  the 30 - 39 year old category at the OPC 5K in Rochester today (28th  overall). I received a nice Running Fit gift certificate for my efforts.  For whatever reason, thirty-something males have not turned out in  droves at the last two races I have participated in, allowing me to  place 3rd last month and 1st today in my age group. I am unapologetic,  as I will take what I can get. I never expected to place at all this  year, so to do it twice is very encouraging!

As for the race, it was very nice. It was only $5 to run and included a  bag and t-shirt. The run itself was downhill from the start to the  Clinton River trail, about 1.3 miles down the trail and back again. I  enjoy trail runs as it is nice to run on something other than concrete  or asphalt. The best thing I did today is pace myself. I had my Garmin GPS watch and  decided that I wanted to run an average of 8:30/mile. First mile I was  right on and ran just a bit slower the next 2 miles. This allowed me an  experience that I haven't had much: passing people late in a race. It is  much more encouraging to pass other runners than to be passed. I caught  5 or 6 runners in the last half of the race, including passing one  (that I didn't think I could catch) right before the finish.

This puts me in a good position for the Open Door Julie Run in two  weeks. I ran this race near 32 minutes a couple years back and would  love to finish with a time that starts with 26. I've dropped most of my  time goals as I was starting to worry about it too much, but this is  something I really want to do.

Protometal

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"-- Henry Ford

Upcoming races: Super 5k 2/3/13

Select Recent Results: Brooksie Way Half Marathon - 1:49:09 (Half Marathon PR), Open Door Julie Run 5k - 22:16 (2nd place age group, PR)

Check out my Running Blog: http://clippinalong.blogspot.com .

• Rick Stiles Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 18, 2010
    517. Jun 4, 2011 1:53 PM (in response to HoundMom)

HoundMom: Congratulations on 14 miles in a week! In my own training, I've noticed my pace slowing and was disheartened by it. But I recognized it as a sign of overtraining and cut way back for a week or two. My times got better and the runs got longer and easier. I don't know if that's what's holding you back. Other possibilities are not enough sleep or not enough fuel in the system. Build speed by running the short runs as interval runs or hill runs, practicing a faster foot turnover. Relax and don't worry about time on the long runs, you're just want to build endurance there. I only ran one race, and had injured myself by overtraining, and was just getting better when I ran the race. I decided to not worry about my time and just have fun. That attitude, the excitement of the race, and the rest from taking so much time off led to a very fast pace (for me) during the race and I placed 3rd in my age group. Another idea: borrow a faster dog! (Just kidding!)

P.S., When I do hill runs, I run up the hill as fast as I can and then walk or jog slowly back down. After several repeats, I jog home. I've noticed my pace on the jog home is very fast compared to my usual pace, and feels very easy. Short, hard sprints (or hills) seem to really build speed.

P.P.S. Last weekend I ran 13.1 miles for the first time, finishing in under 2:19. But now I have Achilles tendonitis, so I'm going to take 2-3 weeks off. There is still 13 weeks before the Disney Half, so I still have time to be ready.

Be proud of all you've accomplished - you're doing great!

First Race - Santa Clarita 5K (November 2010) - 28:44 (3rd in age group)

Disneyland Half Marathon (September 4, 2011) - 2:17:32

Santa Clarita 5K (November 2011) - 27:07 (2nd in age group, PR)

• pamburrus Pro 136 posts since
    May 14, 2008
    518. Jun 4, 2011 4:19 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Half marathon COMPLETE!!!!

Chip time was 1:55:02  - however  I'm deducting 12seconds for a pee break (that's based off my garmin  watch and 'moving time' vs 'actual time') hehe

It was mostly downhill which was nice - but it did have other challenges... Here is the full race report

---------------------------------------

It  was called the Downhill @ Dawn and yes, it did have a LOT of  downhill -  but dont let that fool you... it had its challenges too (but yes, the  downhill DID help me get the kick butt time that I NEVER thought I could  achieve - my goal time was 2:15!!!).

First off -  the weather was FANTASTIC.  High 50's I think.  The location  was  BEAUTIFUL. We drove the course the night before just to see what we   should expect and kinda panicked when we saw the first uphill and the 3   miles of downhill GRAVEL.  But here is the course report as we were   running it (cause that's what matters)

Here is the race report according to Pam:

The  first 2 miles were downhill on pavement.  Miles 2-4  were uphill with a  pretty brutal hill starting at mile 3.  Then a nice  little downhill  relief after that hill which brought us to the gravel  road.

Started  with a pretty good uphill - a few rolling  hills and an 80foot hill at  the end of mile 5.  I met a gal around mile  5ish and we ran together  and chit chatted all the way down the gravel  road until mile 8.  She  DEFINITELY kept me moving and it was great to  find a new buddy on the  run!!  The gravel wasn't as slippery as I  thought - but landing on a  large piece definitely made for tricky  footing.  Plus the roads were  REALLY winding so the curves made for  weird pacing. Definitely had to  pull back on the downhill gravel part so  I didn't slip.

About  mile 6 I realized I probably should stop at the  port-a-potty, but  didnt.  Considered turning around as soon as I passed  it - but held  out.

More downhill on winding gravel  roads until approx mile 8.  I  couldn't hold it any longer and stopped to  tinkle at mile 8.  Felt  much better.  I lost my running buddy - but  kept her in my sights just  to keep me moving forward.

Miles 8-10 had a 50 foot hill followed by an 80 foot hill (which at that mileage it felt like bigger).

Mile  10 started a looong (well 1 mile) gradual uphill of  120feet.  I wont  lie - at mile 10 I was beginning to hurt a little..  granted my pace was  a lot faster than I ever intended (or imagined I  could do) - but from  what I heard from a LOT of folks it was pretty  brutal on them too.

The  last 2 miles was primarily downhill again however the road  was winding  and the slant on it was BRUTAL.  My ankles felt like they  were turned  sideways and I was constantly trying to find 'level' ground  but didnt  until mile 12.5ish.

Overall the race was FANTASTIC.   Never in my wildest dreams would I be able to break 2hours if it wasn't  for the downhill.   My 2nd toe on each foot was sore after the run from  running downhill -  even though my shoes are a good 2 sizes larger than  my regular shoes 

Whew!!  What an event!!!  Met some FANTASTIC people at dinner the  night before  and a bunch of girls at the race.  Hope to cross paths with  them  again!!! (or maybe hunt them down on facebook....)

I'm so proud of us for finishing and I can't wait until our next one!!!!

I'll try to attach photos later - it's not working for some reason.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PR's (post kid haha)

Beat the Street for Little Feet 5k: 26:34

Big Peach Sizzler 10K: 52:21

Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon: 1:55:02 (first and only other than one that I ran with a friend to pace her)

Soldier Marathon: 4:09:16 (first and only so far...)

Check our our nation-wide running group for moms!

www.momsrunthistown.com or https://www.facebook.com/momsrunthistown

Moms RUN This Town (MRTT) is a 'moms only' running club started by moms.... for moms... to support moms in their running endeavors.

Our goal is to help to keep you motivated no matter where you are in your running - whether starting the c25k program or training for a marathon.

• freesia777 Pro 98 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    519. Jun 4, 2011 4:44 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ran my first 5K today with a time of 40:26, which I am thrilled with.  I started the C25K in mid-March and had hoped to be done with it a few weeks ago, but life got in the way and I've just finished Week 8.  I've got the running bug- I'm already looking into 5Ks later in the summer so I can try to beat my time- I'd also like to run the whole way, instead of taking a few walk breaks like I did today.

Kate in NH

Started C25K: 03/16/2011

First 5K: 06/04/2011 (Over the River and Through the Woods 5K, Concord, NH): 40:30!!

Second 5K: 08/04/2011 (Thunder Chicken 5K, Portsmouth, NH): 39:32!!

Third 5K: 10/09/2011 (Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH): 38:18!!

Current words to live by: "4 mph is faster than the couch" --FaithInSC

• Katie21784 Pro 128 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    520. Jun 4, 2011 4:51 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ran my first race this afternoon.  It was a smaller race and just a 2 miler, but I was glad of both of those things since it was my first one.  It was definitely hot out there, but I did good for me and came in with a time of 18:55.5 and was actually the first female to cross the line!  This was just the boost I needed as I plan on running my first 5K at the end of this month!

Follow me on Twitter: @KatieRUNning

Race Results

6/4/11 - Salvation Army Dash From Disaster 2 Mile Run - 18:55.5

6/25/11 - Tomato Festival 5K - 28:15

7/4/11 - The Great Commission 4 Miler - 37:30 (2nd place in my age group)

7/9/11 - Swinging Bridge 5K - 31:12

7/16/11 - Hit The Bricks 5K - 28:36

8/6/11 - Run For The Son 5K

Find me and follow my training on www.mapmyfitness.com by searching for katie21784@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2010
    521. Jun 4, 2011 4:54 PM (in response to pamburrus)

Pam Burrus: Congratulations on a great run, and thanks for the entertaining narration!!

Kate in NH: Congratulations on your first race - well done!!

Aug 18, 2010
    522. Jun 4, 2011 4:55 PM (in response to Katie21784)

Katie A: Way to go! Good luck on your 5K!

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    523. Jun 4, 2011 7:10 PM (in response to HoundMom)

Hey HoundMom, You're doing fine!  My main suggestion to you would be to take it a bit easier.  I don't know where you're running, but in many areas it's starting to warm up.  One aspect of pacing yourself is that you don't knock yourself  out too early in the race.  Another is to back off just a bit and let things coast in the summer.  Run your races if you feel good, but don't set high expectations for speed.   Save that stuff for the fall if you like.  Pushing for "fast!" and "Faster!" can get you injured real quick.  Listen to your body.  Build slowly and build confidence.  Plan to be a runner for the rest of your life and don't rush.  Have fun and enjoy every step.

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 327 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...