Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2358 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2011 5:24 AM by BOSNPM RSS
IUHeatherRN Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 3, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 3, 2011 6:05 PM

Severe calf pain after running?

Hello All! I'm completely NEW to running  - 26 yo, 140lbs, 5'6, physically fit and work out at the gym in step class, weights class, and the elliptical. I started running this week and actually was able to run/jog 2 miles without stopping. I didn't really warm up - I just started at a slow jog, at a pace of about 11min/mile. After about 2 miles, I tripped on the sidewalk and wiped out, landing on my knees and hands. I got up and walked/jogged the last 1.1 mile.  Needless to say the next day I was VERY SORE all over from my shoulders to my abs/sides to my knees and calves. My calves have been so sore that I'm practically limping when I walk and can barely go up/down steps (and it is now over 48 hours later). I must say that I probably did not adequately stretch after the run. Does anyone have any pointers about this? Is it normal? When can I start running again?

• Chase Kerlin Expert 39 posts since
    Apr 20, 2008
    1. Jun 4, 2011 10:01 AM (in response to IUHeatherRN)
    Re: Severe calf pain after running?

calf pain is pretty normal after a run especially if you go from 0 miles to 2 on the first try.  the entire body can get sore easily until your body developes the muscles used in running. i am huge into cross training so the other exercises you are doing will help you in the long run so keep them up. i have running guides and workouts in addition to cross training info on my site all for free at http://www.eliterunnersworld.com that should be able to help good luck and go kick some butt!

chase

Visit my website http://www.eliterunnersworld.com for the latest in gear, workouts, and injury advice all for free!

• Nursey318 Amateur 17 posts since
    Apr 28, 2011
    2. Jun 8, 2011 12:52 AM (in response to IUHeatherRN)

I've been having the same problem. I tried massaging them after a warm shower (to loosen them up). Other than that, tylenol and ibuprofen have been kept close at hand. I make sure to warm up pretty well before I start my run and stretch after. I also have the P90X series and do the Xstretch workout at least once a week. Good luck, I hope you don't let sore muscles deter you from running again!!

"Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them- every day a task anew."

-St. Francis DeSales

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Jun 8, 2011 5:24 AM (in response to Nursey318)

Get yourself a foam roller and roll your calfs often.  Calfs are worked extremely hard during running and especially with hills.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points