Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

27335 Views 196 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2011 4:57 PM by sandrun251 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 Previous Next
  • RunningMidwife Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 3, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jun 3, 2011 7:43 AM (in response to femmeshark)
    Re: C25K Group Starting This Week! (5/30/11)

My running partner and I started C25K on the 29th.  I am beyond grateful I bought new running shoes before we started, I was getting shin splints just using an elliptical in my old shoes.

We finished W1D1 and W1D2, she won't be able to do W1D3 with me so we'll probably repeat week 1 next week.  We're looking at taking our time to avoid injury or burnout and create a lasting new habit. 

Does anyone else doing C25K already do other workouts?  I also do strength training (Curves) 3x/week and might take a kickboxing class next month that a friend is teaching.  Just trying to make sure it won't be too much.

Running partner and I began C25K on 5/29/11, repeating each week before moving on to the next one... planning our first 5k in late September!

• KeepSwimming Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 4, 2011
    31. Jun 4, 2011 7:14 AM (in response to femmeshark)

I started on Monday 5/30 as well and finished W1D3 yesterday.  I thought it would get a little easier on the third one, but it really didn't.  I have a hard time breathing right in the middle (the 5th run rep), but then feel pretty good at the end.  My dad runs marathons, my husband has run a couple of half marathons and my kids are starting to run, so I felt like I had to get into shape so that I can at least run 5ks with the family - plus I'd love to lose about 15 pounds.  We have one scheduled for July 4th and I'm sure that I won't be able to run the whole thing by then, but it will be the beginning of my week 6, so I'll use it as my W6D1 - that's assuming that I don't have to repeat a week, which I probably will, but we'll see.   My goal is to be able to the Steelers 5k in Pittsburgh on 9/4/11 without dying.

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in this.  Good luck to all of you.

• ama1001 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 4, 2011
    32. Jun 4, 2011 7:07 AM (in response to femmeshark)

I started C25K on Tues, 5/31, so count me in! Finished W1 this morning. I'm in Houston, where the hot and humid summer is already upon us, so right now I go out early in the morning when it's still relatively cool. So far, it's been hard but in a good, challenging way, not in a "oh my god, I'm going to fall down and die right here on the street" way. And even after only the first week, I can already feel some of the benefits (like increased energy) though I can't really see any yet. But that's okay - I'm mostly doing this to be in better health, increase stamina, reduce stress, etc. Losing weight, if any, will be the icing on the cake. I should probably find and sign up for a 5K, though, to have a goal and keep my focus.

Good luck to everyone - go us!

Jun 3, 2011
    33. Jun 4, 2011 8:14 AM (in response to ama1001)

A touch of shin splints after completing W1, D3 so I'm going to take today and most of tomorrow off from all exercise, and we'll definitely repeat week 1 just to play it safe.  Reading about shin splints and the possibility of stress fractures means I am willing to take things slow.

I haven't found any 5K locally in August but know of at least one in October.  Some of the local 5Ks do not show up on the running websites so I'll just have to keep an ear open.

And we're planning to walk/run at Relay for Life.

Running partner and I began C25K on 5/29/11, repeating each week before moving on to the next one... planning our first 5k in late September!

• fortyfiveandholding Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 4, 2011
    34. Jun 4, 2011 10:11 AM (in response to RunningMidwife)

Hello!  I started C25K on Wednesday....my 3 kids are doing it with me, some more enthusiastically than others!  I have never enjoyed running, but am hoping that by starting out slowly, I can use it as a tool to get/stay fit as I age...I have to do something!  I used to do Tae Kwon Do while my kids were at school, but when I started homeschooling 4 years ago, that went out the window, and I really haven't figured out a consistent routine since...but I'm getting desperate here!  Things changed once I turned 41 or 42.  I haven't gained much weight, but definitely have lost muscle tone & mass .  Glad to see the support here!

I started on 6/1 & have done 2 days....so far, so good!

Couch-to-5K:  June 1-Aug. 1, 2011

Jun 3, 2011

forty-fiveandholding- I homeschool too!  My parents homeschooled me, although I also spent a couple of years each in public and private school.  Guess you can figure out my preference. 

• Mozza314 Amateur 8 posts since
    May 31, 2011
    36. Jun 4, 2011 7:32 PM (in response to femmeshark)

My girlfriend and I completed week 1 this morning. Bring on week 2! We're 19 and 20 years old so repeating weeks seems a bit silly unless there's some sort of injury.

I went for a dip in the cold pool again, I've kept it up each time. And by the way I forgot to mention it's friggen winter here! It's a real cold rush. Then again, it's just cold by our standards. It's not like it snows or anything like I know it does in many places of the US.

Also, for the last running interval today, I decided to really step up the pace. This was actually to give some of my muscles a break, as I was really fatigued in some areas and I know different muscles are being used when I go from what is really a jog to actually running - almost sprinting even. Still, it feels really good to know that I can push my body like that.

Started C25K: 1st June 2011 (stopped after week 4)

Started again from W4D1: 2nd October 2011

First 5K: 10th November 2011

• LiveYourDreams Amateur 12 posts since
    May 24, 2011
    37. Jun 4, 2011 8:27 PM (in response to femmeshark)

I finished week 2 today and feel AWESOME!  It was challenging all 3 days but I knew I could finish strong.  Not looking forward to the 3 minute runs next week...maybe it will be easier than I think.

Mozza314 - Yes, we should be done mid to late July.  There are no 5Ks scheduled in my area before September 4th and that event is being held in a very scenic area...I am really looking forward to it!

Keep up the good work everyone!

~ Lana

C25K Program:  

Week 1: Complete! (05/29/11)

Week 2: Complete! (06/04/11)

Week 3: In progress...

First 5K...09/04/11!

• TeresaTN Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 4, 2011
    38. Jun 4, 2011 9:29 PM (in response to LiveYourDreams)

Mind if I join in?  I started C25K this week and just did W1D3 yesterday.  This is actually my second time around.  I finished C25K a few years ago, but then kids happened and I stopped running.  I'm so glad to be getting back into it. 

Hey, I'm a homeschool mom, too! 

There is a 5K on August 13th in my area.  I'm going to register for that sucker.  I think that will help me to stay motivated.

Thank you to the poster who suggested Suz's hip hop podcasts!  They're just what I needed.

• LoriKre Pro 83 posts since
    May 16, 2011
    39. Jun 5, 2011 6:31 AM (in response to jess_w)

Hi Jess,

I'm in the Cincinnati Oh area.  I'm getting ready to start W3D1 on Monday.

C25K Started 5-16-11 quit due to injury. Re-starting C25K 6-4-12

1st 5K - 7-30-11 Completed-4H 5K-Brown County Fairgrounds-49:36-walked with some jogs added in

Jun 4, 2011
    40. Jun 5, 2011 7:25 AM (in response to RunningMidwife)

Yay for home-school!  Except...you're never really away from the kids...good & bad; so now they're running with me   it is already very hot here in North Texas!  Where are you?

Jun 3, 2011

I'm in Indiana.  My oldest daughter works out at Curves with me but I go running without kids, after my hubby gets home from work.  I love my kids, but need the 'quiet' time. 

Jun 4, 2011
    43. Jun 5, 2011 2:40 PM (in response to RunningMidwife)

just entered this weeks' workouts on my blackberry calendar...all evenings this week

• captain88s Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 24, 2010
    44. Jun 5, 2011 4:54 PM (in response to femmeshark)

Finished W1D1 today.  Almost finished about 6 months ago (W7D2) before shin splints and cold weather kept me from continuing.  Felt pretty good to get a little jogging in.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...