Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1436 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2011 5:44 AM by Julie Hehman
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 12, 2011 12:57 AM

2011 Greenfield Glide Reviews

Share your experiences with the 2011 Greenfield Glide below Back to event details page.

• Run Pitt 80 Expert 42 posts since
    Feb 14, 2009
    1. Apr 12, 2011 12:57 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: 2011 Greenfield Glide Reviews

There is no race in Western PA that compares to this one!  The course is a bit of a challenge, but it is nice to run on cinder trails instead of pounding the pavement.  T-shirts are really cool - they keep the same design but the change the colors every year.  And, of course, there is the post-race cook out.

Anthony L. Boerio

• BurghRunner Rookie 2 posts since
    May 22, 2009
    2. May 17, 2011 7:23 PM (in response to Guest )

I've always heard good things about this one, but how challenging is challenging?    I'm a somewhat new but definitely slow runner (13-15 min. pace/mile) and have never run on trails.  Any other feedback from people who have run it before?  And is the 5K race clearly marked, or would a back of the pack runner like me be alone and lost in the woods?! 

• Sarahsmile700 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 3, 2010
    3. May 20, 2011 1:02 PM (in response to Guest )

I run this course a few times a week as I live about 400 yards from the trail. This might be my favorite 5k of the summer, mostly because of the trails in the woods and the after-party. It is not very challenging in my opinion, but the last 1/2 mile is predominantly uphill - but the first 2 miles are downhill!! So just the very end is the real challenging part. Awesome T-shirts, awesome trails, awesome race - I can't wait! 

• Run Pitt 80 Expert 42 posts since
    Feb 14, 2009
    4. May 20, 2011 3:16 PM (in response to BurghRunner)

You will love it!   And lost, no, I think there is a misconception with the word "trail".  I think the problem is the English language does not have enough words for "trail".  For example, have you ever been on the Montour Trail?  It is one of those rails-to-trails projects: totally flat, mostly cinder, tho some parts are paved.  I DO NOT consider an asphalt walkway/bikeway a "trail", yet it is still called that.   As for Trail Runners, those are the people who go off into the dep woods and run through creeks, over logs, and get all muddy.

What we have in Schenley Park are fairly wide, mostly cinder - a few grassy/dirt areas - trails that, no, you won't get lost on because there is sort of only one trail around the upper part of the park.  Lower Schenley has an extra trail that loops around Panther Hollow Lake.  This is really a fun time, a must race for everyone!!!

Anthony L. Boerio

• David Perini Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    5. Jun 5, 2011 7:11 AM (in response to Guest )

Very nice run through schenley park.  Challenging for a 5k.  Will definitely do again.

• Rahil Sethi Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    6. Jun 6, 2011 9:25 AM (in response to Guest )

It was really nice track to run and lots of Raffles and prizes being distributed after the race.I participated in Pittsburgh 5K as well, but this one was much more interesting and better without a doubt. I don't understand one thing that almost everyone performed really good. A lot of them had extraordinary performance. Do many people participating in this run are professional athletes or marathon runners? The average performance was much better than that in Pittsburgh 5K run this time. That is a big surprise to me since this is little bit more challenging that Pittsburgh 5k as we have up-hill and down-hill track while Pittsburgh 5K was almost flat.

• MelSibley Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 14, 2011
    7. Jun 6, 2011 10:43 AM (in response to Guest )

The 2011 Greenfield Glide was my first 5K! I was slightly nervous, but I could not have picked a better race as my first. it was well organized, everyone was friendly and the trail rocked! i can't wait to do it next year.

• Elizamom Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2010
    8. Jun 6, 2011 10:54 AM (in response to Guest )

I run atleast one race a month and I loved this course. If was my first year running it and probably my favorite. I love how it is not on the normal flat montour trail and road. I definelty would agree and just say a dirt road as opposed to trail. It is nice and wide for all to fit. It was a lil challenge but whats a race without it, Mostly downhill with a nice up hill finish.

There seemed

• tsnrunner Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 6, 2011
    9. Jun 6, 2011 11:48 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first time running the Greenfield Glide, and I loved the course.  I'd say it is one of the best runs in Pittsburgh.  The race organizers were really friendly, and there was a good selection of beverage and snack after the race.  The only drawback was that the race packet and t-shirt were handed out before the start of race and I didn't have anywhere to put mine (one of the participants even ran holding his bag).  Maybe next year we can pick them up afterward. 

• gnomedeplume Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 30, 2007
    10. Jun 6, 2011 12:04 PM (in response to Guest )

I enjoy the Greenfield Glide and I've run the race off and on since 1989.  It is a challenging course and I do think that it tends to attract a fitter class of runners as one participant observed.  And it is deceptive insofar as going down you can easily be running a PR for the time (if you could keep it up) but on the way back up, as you pass Sherpas hauling oxygen tanks, you can lose the time.

One point: on the race website, you might want to direct people to the Miles of Smiles Website (or whatever it was...) for the results.  I kept thinking they would pop up on the race website because they had last year's there.

• Julie Hehman Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 17, 2008
    11. Jun 7, 2011 5:44 AM (in response to Guest )

I love the Glide!  My mom comes down from the north hills to run it with my husband and I, and we always have a great time.  I would appreciate it, though, if we could stop talking about how great it is...the more you folks talk it up, the stiffer the competition gets!  Two years ago, I won my age group...now I'm 7th!!! 

Kidding, of course.  Of course.  I mean, who would want to decrease competition on their home turf?  Certainly not me!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...