Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

745 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2011 9:05 AM by Ecboyd
Ecboyd Amateur 15 posts since
May 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 6, 2011 1:16 PM

Safty / ID tags

Are these things really worth it?

I alwasy carry my cell when I run alone, and I have an I.C.E. contact.

I see the "free" adds on face book and such?

Is it really worth it and safer?

I dont have any outstanding med conditions but I am a doner.

Thoughts!?

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    1. Jun 6, 2011 1:30 PM (in response to Ecboyd)
    Re: Safty / ID tags

I always run with id.

I received the "free id" in the mail this week.  The laminate fell off the plastic as I was popping out the little tabs.  Not a good sign.

I'm going back to RoadID.  I have both the on-shoe kind and the bracelet.  I hate the bracelet (it's just one of those things), and I've never lost one of the shoe tags, not even on trail runs through brambles and mud.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jun 12, 2011 6:43 AM (in response to Ecboyd)
    Re: Safty / ID tags

I always run with my RoadID, as I have a medical history that might influence treatment if something should happen to me. I also have the bracelet version, but I don't find it bothersome at all. I'm more annoyed by the tan line, but I see it as a small price to pay for that peace of mind.

I actually have a spare bracelet ID (the older velcro-based version) that I keep wrapped around the handle of my suitcase as a luggage tag and a spare RoadID in case I forget mine when I'm traveling.

I've considered the shoe tag version, but I've heard enough anecdotes of runners having their shoes knocked off in collisions that the bracelet seems a safer bet.

If you run with an iPod, but no ID, at least be sure you've registered your device with Apple: http://rwdaily.runnersworld.com/2011/05/okay-this-time-running-with-the-ipod-was-a-good-thing.html

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...