Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4099 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2011 5:09 AM by reddolp50 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
TSRunner Pro 85 posts since
Jun 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 6, 2011 3:57 PM

So I've decided to become a runner...tips anyone?

Hello Fellow Runners! Well, considering that I'm starting tomorrow, I guess I can't technically call myself a "fellow runner", but hey, I'm thinking positive!

I'm 204lbs, 40yrs old, Mom of 5...yea, I'm a bit on the TIRED side at this point. I've dreamed of becoming a runner for decades now. I subscribe to "Runner's World" magazine, buy new running shoes every year (hey, I'm an optimist, what can I say?), and have yet to hit the pavement!  So, conisdering that I'm as fat and tired as I've ever been in my whole life, I decided to stop dreaming and start doing, gosh darn it!

Tomorrow, June 7, 2011 will be Day One for me on C25k, and I'm excited and SCARED TO DEATH at the same time. I'm here for accountability. I've been "starting" for decades, literally. This time I'm determined to shout it from the roof tops, thinking maybe, just maybe, If more people know of my intentions, I will be moved to follow through.

Any inspiration, tips, advice, prayers you'd like to share...anything at all will be greatly appreciated!  So tell me, what was THE thing that helped you to start, continue, and/or finish your own running Journey?????

"The Greatest pleasure in life, is doing the things people say we cannot do." - Walter Bagehot

http://onbecomingarunner.blogspot.com/

• StickingToIt Expert 43 posts since
    Jun 2, 2011
    1. Jun 6, 2011 4:55 PM (in response to TSRunner)
    Re: So I've decided to become a runner...tips anyone?

Horray for you TSRunner!

Okay, tomorrow is W1D2 for me, so I can say, "Horray for you, TSRunner!"...ha ha

I just started too. I'm 37 and a mom of 2, so I say be proud you are committing and looking for the support to keep it up. I will gladly help keep you accountable! I need someone to do that for me too.

I like to buy new running shoes too...it feels like such a committment. I guess wearing them out will feel even better! Let's earn our next pair of shoes together! Good luck tomorrow, let me know how it goes!

“They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.” - Andy Warhol

Upcoming Events

9/18/11 - The Iron Horse 15K & The 5K Express -  REGISTERED!!!

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    2. Jun 6, 2011 4:56 PM (in response to TSRunner)

Congratulations TS!  You ARE going to be a runner!

You have committed to us and to yourself, so there is no turning back.

Set a goal....a race would be a good one.  Write it down on your calendar and mark off each day's activities.  Put it in a place where you & others can see it.

Set a time, make an appointment with yourself, that you will do your run.  Then keep it and mark it off on your calendar. I've found that consistancy is primo important!!!

Join a thread(s) on this site of others who are starting the same week as you &/or another  group...ie. penquins thread.  Post often.  You will encourage others and they will return the farvor.

Find a running buddy, real or virtual, and be accountable to them.  Join a running club and you might find a mentor or a running pal.

You know what to do.....now.....Just Do It!!! We're cheering for you!

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jun 6, 2011 4:57 PM (in response to TSRunner)

Have some good shoes and good luck!

• jliller3 Pro 119 posts since
    May 6, 2011
    4. Jun 6, 2011 5:48 PM (in response to TSRunner)

Good luck and congrats on your committment to yourself!  I am 37 and mom to one little guy (8 years old.)  I know its hard to find the time for yourself, but you HAVE to.  Your kiddos will benefit from a fit and healthy mama!

I agree to find a thread for support.  I couldn't do without my folks over in "W5D3...I did it!!!"  (If you guys are reading this, you are awesome!)

Take it one day at a time, trust the program and trust yourself!  You can do it.

Happy running

Jeannette  (W8D2 on Wednesday...)

"Spectacular achievements are always preceded by unspectacular preparation" ~Roger Staubach

Started C25K - April 18, 2011

Graduated C25K - June 17, 2011

Started Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Program - June 19, 2011

First 5K - July 2, 2011  Time:  34:21

2nd 5K - August 13, 2011   Time:  33:18

Jun 2, 2011
    5. Jun 7, 2011 5:01 AM (in response to TSRunner)

TS - Wanted to check in to see how your first day went!

“They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.” - Andy Warhol

Upcoming Events

• Raserei Amateur 13 posts since
    May 27, 2011
    6. Jun 7, 2011 5:34 AM (in response to TSRunner)

I'm with PaintingLady. I had to set a goal to run a 5K. Having that set ahead, it helped me to keep my commitment to myself to run and get in better shape for it. After I did that one I set a goal of beating my own time. I now have 3 more scheduled at varying intervals. Having races scheduled definitely helps me keep it up. I love race day! I was worried about not being "in the club" because I'm loosing weight, too. But people are very nice and genuinely happy to have more runners there! Best of luck to you! How was that first day?

-Ras

Raserei - 5K Runner, Agility Dog Handler

05/15/11 - Bob Potts 5K (first race ever) - 39.46

06/04/11 - Hope for Cope 5K - 36.11

07/09/11 - Habitat for Humanity 5K -

07/30/11 - Sunset Stretch 5K -

08/20/11 - Run for the Park CC Challenge 5K -

• reddolp50 Legend 461 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    7. Jun 7, 2011 5:35 AM (in response to TSRunner)

What a life changing choice TS - good for you!      Digging these tips myself.  

I saw a book on a website skirtsports.com - and there was a very interesting book "Run like a Mother"  and it was pretty reasonable.  It spoke about fitting running into the busy life of a Mom.    Maybe a library has it - just looked like a great encouragement for the Mom's who are in the most wonderful years of her life, but very VERY busy and everything is stretched to the max, except some "Mom" time.   I got the skirt sports site from another runner on this site - sharing of information is really wonderful.  Def have a crowd to cheer you on!   Go, go, go, go, daily goal = victory for you!     I copied that link - (I think I did).....

http://www.skirtsports.com/shop/product.cfm/id/SWLRLAM-Run-Like-A-Mother-Book

Penguins Rule, Penguin On, Penguin UP!

Don't Put That Crap in Your Mouth There is no finish line.....Nike Advertisement

10/29/11 5k Chocolate Beano 42.52

• Katie21784 Pro 128 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    9. Jun 7, 2011 10:54 AM (in response to TSRunner)

So proud of you!  I, like you, had planned on starting on several different occasions...actually, I would normally start and then about two weeks in would lose focus.  Picking out a 5K and setting that as my goal has really helped along with all the wonderful people on this site.  Thanks to this site, I also found out about Moms Run This Town.  You can check out their website:  http://www.momsrunthistown.com/index.php  and they also have a Facebook page.  They are working on getting groups set up for all the different areas to help you meet fellow women that run in your area.

Also, let me just say don't let the fact that it might be a little bit of a struggle discourage you.  Repeat weeks if necessary.  I'm 27 and 110 lbs and there were several times that I found Couch 2 5K challenging for me, especially when I was just starting out and then the last couple of weeks.  However, I have several friends, a lot of whom are larger than myself, who did it and didn't struggle nearly as much as I did myself!  Talk about a wake up call on how out of shape I was to know that I felt like I was going to die just trying to get through Week 1!  I'll be honest and say at that point I wanted to give it up yet again, but I'd already told a few people about the 5K I wanted to run, so I gave myself a mental pep talk about how I wasn't going to get back into shape by just sitting around, but only by pushing on.  Good luck on continuing C25K!  Know there will be some days that are more challenging than others...we all have our "good" days and our "bad" days.  Don't let the "bad" days discourage you!

Follow me on Twitter: @KatieRUNning

Race Results

6/4/11 - Salvation Army Dash From Disaster 2 Mile Run - 18:55.5

6/25/11 - Tomato Festival 5K - 28:15

7/4/11 - The Great Commission 4 Miler - 37:30 (2nd place in my age group)

7/9/11 - Swinging Bridge 5K - 31:12

7/16/11 - Hit The Bricks 5K - 28:36

8/6/11 - Run For The Son 5K

Find me and follow my training on www.mapmyfitness.com by searching for katie21784@gmail.com

• aradesh Expert 38 posts since
    May 22, 2011
    10. Jun 7, 2011 11:04 AM (in response to TSRunner)

TSRunner: yes you did calculate it wrong xD 16 rounds of 60s run + 90s walk would be 40 minutes not 20! you need 8 rounds of it. so you did more than enough with 10.

• growlerius Pro 74 posts since
    Aug 15, 2009
    11. Jun 7, 2011 11:06 AM (in response to TSRunner)

Well done!  I think it depends on your definition of 'interval'.  To get to 20 mins, you'd have to be doing 8 60 sec runs and 8 90 sec walks.  That's 16 total.  It gets easier to keep track as you go on!

Good luck!

• Katie21784 Pro 128 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    12. Jun 7, 2011 11:09 AM (in response to TSRunner)

Not sure what kind of phone you have, but if you have a smart phone, they have free apps for the C25K program that will alert you on when you should change from walking to running.  That's what I used when I did it, and there's no way I could have kept track of it without that app!

Follow me on Twitter: @KatieRUNning

Race Results

6/4/11 - Salvation Army Dash From Disaster 2 Mile Run - 18:55.5

6/25/11 - Tomato Festival 5K - 28:15

7/4/11 - The Great Commission 4 Miler - 37:30 (2nd place in my age group)

7/9/11 - Swinging Bridge 5K - 31:12

7/16/11 - Hit The Bricks 5K - 28:36

8/6/11 - Run For The Son 5K

Find me and follow my training on www.mapmyfitness.com by searching for katie21784@gmail.com

• BrianW1957 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 7, 2011
    13. Jun 7, 2011 11:57 AM (in response to TSRunner)

TSRunner,

I recommend a book called, "Run Your Butt Off"... it is a 12 week program that goes from 30 minutes of walking to 30 minutes of running... I used to be quite the runner but laid off for over 4 years... well, I am now at week 7 (2 min walk, 8 min. run x 3) and this program is great, just right, starts slow, goes slow, then lets you go on your own to move up to the 5K runner and more... more importantly, nutrition and weight loss is covered widely... along with personal accounts of real people like us...

BrianW1957

Jun 2, 2011
    14. Jun 7, 2011 12:26 PM (in response to TSRunner)

I am so proud of you for getting it done!

I got up at 6 this morning and slept through the first part of mine as I stumbled down the road. I found a 5K in September that I am going to sign up for...tomorrow. I plan to go and pay the money right away so I can have a goal.

Others have already mentioned how to calculate, so I won't worry about that.

Even if you are well hydrated you can still get a headache from the heat and exertion, your body will adjust. Just pace yourself...as you did. You should go look at yourself in the mirror, smile and say "Hooray! I am so proud of me!".

Upcoming Events

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points