Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5043 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2011 6:44 AM by Katie21784 1 2 Previous Next
Alder2011 Legend 203 posts since
Apr 8, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 7, 2011 7:08 AM

Music during races??

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to know if you are allowed to listen to music during an organized 5K, or any race for that matter?  I have never run without music and I love it so much.  It makes the time go by faster, I can't hear myself breathing so hard, it's peaceful........blah blah blah.  There is a million reasons why I like it.  I just wondered if they discourage it during a race, since your attention would be distracted and probably considered dangerous.  I don't recall seeing runners on TV wearing headphones during races, but watching running instead of running myself seems pretty selfish.  I don't know the rules.  Please tell me they allow it.  If not, I will have to play Pandora from my Blackberry on my hip.  Other runners might not like that..... LOL. 

Does anyone listen to music during races?

Thanks.

Simon

Race Results:

2011 Fun Fourth 2.2 Mile Run : (22:08)

Beat The Heat 5K : (33:14) "The Bar Is Set"

Upcoming Tentative Plans:

No Race plans.  Just running for now.

My Running Blog:

http://joggingproud.wordpress.com/

My Virtual Life

http://www.facebook.com/Alder2000

My fundraising for MS Society:

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Alder2011

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    1. Jun 7, 2011 7:22 AM (in response to Alder2011)
    Re: Music during races??

This subject comes up regularly so you might want to check the archives for other threads.

The answer is that many races ban headphones for safety reasons.  You can usually find the Rules of Participation in your race packet or on the website.  Nevertheless, in every race I have done there are folks with headphones regardless of the ban.  (Really, some folks think the rules apply to everyone but them!)   If you are a contender - in other words, you have a chance of winning your age group - then DO NOT run with headphones if the rules don't allow it or you will risk disqualification.  If you are a mid pack runner, then that won't be a big deal.

For me personally, I have run with music in a few races, but most of the time I don't.  Running with music while training is one thing.  It does help pass the time and gives you a tempo to keep up your pace.  But in a race I just don't find it necessary.  Believe me, watching (and dodging!) other runners will keep you plenty distracted and running with the flow of the crowd will help you keep up your pace.  This isn't your long, boring, lonely training run by yourself.  You are in the middle of a crowd of people with all the race day excitement.  And don't forget that the reason for the headphone ban is a legitimate one.  You need to be able to hear people coming up behind you so you can react accordingly.  Runners with headphones are "tuned out" to the other runners and accidents can happen.

Anyway, you can take it from there and find out the rules of the races you are entering and make the decision for yourself!

• Mikey4Run Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    2. Jun 7, 2011 7:29 AM (in response to Marykb)

Off subject, but I see you are from my area... I live in Winston Salem too.  Do you participate in any group runs?

• solarflare Amateur 22 posts since
    Oct 29, 2009
    3. Jun 7, 2011 7:33 AM (in response to Alder2011)

It all depends on the race.  Some races allow them, and some do not.  Check the race website to verify.  It is frequently listed under the FAQ section on the websites.

Also, elite runners (which I am not) sometimes fall under different rules.  So, if you are in line to be racing for a trophy or for $, you need to verify that this is not specifically against the rules for you.

Regardless, if you wear headphones (and I do), it is your responsibility to be aware of your surroundings at all times.  Keep the volume low enough so that you can be aware of what is going on around you.

Hope this helps!

• freesia777 Pro 98 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    5. Jun 7, 2011 3:52 PM (in response to Alder2011)

Adding my two cents:

I totally agree with Marykb.  Running during training is completely different than running in a race.  I was petrified of not being able to use my headphones during my first 5K.  I had never run without them before!  I ended up really enjoying the race without them though.  There is so much (nervous for me!) energy before and during the race that I wouldn't have been able to pay attention to the music anyway.  Also, it was infinitely easier to hear people behind me-- I typically listen to music low when I train, but foot steps of people behind you are surprisingly quiet.  And last of all, I found that I was able to concentrate more on my breathing in a good way-- I was actually able to somewhat regulate it, instead of gasping unevenly like I normally do.

Kate in NH

Started C25K: 03/16/2011

First 5K: 06/04/2011 (Over the River and Through the Woods 5K, Concord, NH): 40:30!!

Second 5K: 08/04/2011 (Thunder Chicken 5K, Portsmouth, NH): 39:32!!

Third 5K: 10/09/2011 (Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH): 38:18!!

Current words to live by: "4 mph is faster than the couch" --FaithInSC

• MichaelS75 Pro 168 posts since
    Apr 29, 2011
    6. Jun 7, 2011 6:27 PM (in response to freesia777)

Well, at 6'2" and 220 pounds, everyone could be wearing headphones and I don't think I'll sneak up on anyone   Not to mention I wear a size 13 shoe and breath like a smoker walking 64 flights of stairs (although I've never smoked in my life.)  I wear the headphones so I can't hear myself, lol.

I'm glad you asked though Simon.  My first 5k is this weekend and I was thinking about leaving the headphones at home, primarily because I don't want to be "that guy."  I honestly have no idea what to expect and figured if I leave them at home I will probably have more of a "race" experience.

C25K Graduate 6/15/11

Gibson Guitars 5k (6/11/11, first 5k, 34:58)

Comcast Firecracker 5k (7/3/11, 31:13)

Forrest Spence 5k (8/27/11, 28:15)

Chick-Fil-A 5k (9/5/11, 29:26)

Cooper Young Festival 4-Miler (9/16/11, 36:30)

Camp Good Grief 5k (10/2/11, 28:45)

LeBonheur Pumpkin Run 5k (10/8/11, 27:09)

Home Run 5k (10/23/11, 27:55)

Turkey Trot 4-Miler (11/24/11, 36:50)

St. Jude Half Marathon (12/3/11, 2:22:33)

• pamburrus Pro 136 posts since
    May 14, 2008
    7. Jun 7, 2011 7:24 PM (in response to Alder2011)

I think music is generally frowned upon during any race - just for the safety of you and the other runners.  You need to be able to hear what's going on around you.  Most races even say in the disclaimer that music devices and headphones are not permitted.

With that said - most races tolerate it.  I have heard of only a very few races where they absolutely do not let you start with it (what you do along the route is your prob) and a race I just heard of said ONLY one ear phone is allowed.

A friend just showed me something called One Good Earbud: https://www.facebook.com/OneGoodEarbud

and it has both stereo channels for your music mixed into one ear piece so you have one ear open to warning signs, cars and other runners.

I haven't tried it - but have heard good things!

I JUST started running without music.  I started running with some older more experienced runners and none of them used it so I felt self conscious... then started running with friends and talking and just got used to not listening to anything.

Ran my first half marathon WITHOUT MUSIC in 1:55:02 - I actually loved listening to the sounds around me - talking to other runners and listening to my breathing.

Plus I couldn't stand the cords hitting my face.  Drove me nuts

Just use caution if you use earphones - keep your music low (if someone else can hear it, it's too loud) and be curtious of other runners - not everyone wants music - especially listening to your choice of music, so stereo type device may be a nuissance.

Happy Running!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PR's (post kid haha)

Beat the Street for Little Feet 5k: 26:34

Big Peach Sizzler 10K: 52:21

Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon: 1:55:02 (first and only other than one that I ran with a friend to pace her)

Soldier Marathon: 4:09:16 (first and only so far...)

Check our our nation-wide running group for moms!

www.momsrunthistown.com or https://www.facebook.com/momsrunthistown

Moms RUN This Town (MRTT) is a 'moms only' running club started by moms.... for moms... to support moms in their running endeavors.

Our goal is to help to keep you motivated no matter where you are in your running - whether starting the c25k program or training for a marathon.

• reddolp50 Legend 461 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    8. Jun 7, 2011 7:50 PM (in response to pamburrus)

First off Pam - I love that signature page - how did you do that?  Fantastic and very visual!!   I don't use music - would like to but don't have any music devices as of yet - and gotten use to no music.   I do love listening to the birds in the morning and evening sing their different songs, hear the stuff around me as you said and when running in the country I need to hear the oncoming traffic in the hidden hills and such.  Just got use to it as you said.  Everyone is different and during races see alot of music devices, but you don't have to pay attention as the race has volunteers keeping traffic in check and so on.

Penguins Rule, Penguin On, Penguin UP!

Don't Put That Crap in Your Mouth There is no finish line.....Nike Advertisement

10/29/11 5k Chocolate Beano 42.52

Mar 17, 2011
    9. Jun 7, 2011 8:01 PM (in response to reddolp50)

reddolp50 wrote:

Everyone is different and during races see alot of music devices, but you don't have to pay attention as the race has volunteers keeping traffic in check and so on.

Everyone is different and during races see alot of music devices, but you do have to pay attention to the race as the volunteers are keeping traffic in check and so on.  DUH - that is my half sense comment - sometimes the volunteers are trying to keep traffic stopped and for slowpokes like myself I can't zone out as people are tired of waiting for the waddler to shuffle on by the intersection.....

Don't Put That Crap in Your Mouth There is no finish line.....Nike Advertisement

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    10. Jun 7, 2011 8:30 PM (in response to Marykb)

Marykb wrote:

This subject comes up regularly so you might want to check the archives for other threads.

The answer is that many races ban headphones for safety reasons.  You can usually find the Rules of Participation in your race packet or on the website.  Nevertheless, in every race I have done there are folks with headphones regardless of the ban.  (Really, some folks think the rules apply to everyone but them!)  If you are a contender - in other words, you have a chance of winning your age group - then DO NOT run with headphones if the rules don't allow it or you will risk disqualification.

USATF rules prohibit use for overall and age group contenders.  So if it's a USATF sanctioned race (most are) and you win a prize, you are very likely to be DQ'd if you wear headphones.

Marykb wrote:

It . . . gives you a tempo to keep up your pace. 

And this is why.  Use of any type of pacing device (sort of like an electronic metronome) is prohibited.  While the race organizers usually discourage it for safety and insurance reasons, the USATF has a different point of view.

Regardless, you will see many people listening to music in most races.  Don't try to talk to them though  But you won't see earphones on the runners who plan on winning!

Len

Len

• Katelyn_1996 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 2, 2011
    11. Jun 7, 2011 10:38 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

i think running with music is relaxing, so you can take your mind off the running and listen and move to the beat of the music. I find it helpful and always run with music, otherwise i tend to get board

Mar 17, 2011
    13. Jun 8, 2011 5:49 AM (in response to Alder2011)

Thanks for the great laugh - if only there were awards for the back of the pack

• freesia777 Pro 98 posts since
    Mar 13, 2011
    14. Jun 8, 2011 3:33 PM (in response to Alder2011)

I would definitely win the award for Loudest Breather.  When I do hills, I'm surprised the whole neighborhood doesn't come out to see what the racket is.

Kate in NH

Started C25K: 03/16/2011

First 5K: 06/04/2011 (Over the River and Through the Woods 5K, Concord, NH): 40:30!!

Second 5K: 08/04/2011 (Thunder Chicken 5K, Portsmouth, NH): 39:32!!

Third 5K: 10/09/2011 (Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH): 38:18!!

Current words to live by: "4 mph is faster than the couch" --FaithInSC

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...