Skip navigation

2157 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2011 7:23 PM by DDChies1 RSS
DDChies1 Expert 42 posts since
May 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 8, 2011 9:27 AM

Lake swim in Singlet?

Long story short -

Wetsuit is on backorder.  Race this weekend.  But I have my new race singlet.

If I wear JUST my singlet during the swim, how will it hold up?

Will it get a saggy?  Puff out?  Help at all?  Affect performance at all?  Keep me warm at all?

Anyone out there had to do this at all - wear just your singlet during the swim?

Thanks.

Dan

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jun 8, 2011 1:28 PM (in response to DDChies1)
    Re: Lake swim in Singlet?

I did it last saturday. I skipped the wetsuit and just went w/ trishorts and top.  no big help in the swim but T1 was fast cause I didn't have to try and put a dry tight shirt on a wet body that was in a hurry.  I had my # pinnned on and a gel already in the back pocket and Iwas good to go

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 227 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Jun 8, 2011 2:02 PM (in response to DDChies1)

If you are worried about not having a wet suit, you can probably rent one from your local tri store.  During the summer, I do my open water training swims in my race gear with no wet suit because its so warm in the lake here.  No performance issues, but you lose the buoyancy and if the water is cold the singlet is not going to do anything to keep you warm.  Most of the time for sprint races if the water isn't too cold I am more comfortable without a wet suit and it saves time in the TA.

• ctyr Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 3, 2008
    4. Jun 8, 2011 5:16 PM (in response to DDChies1)

Dan,

Don't worry about the singlet stretching if it's a Tri singlet. Most have water resistant coating to prevent saturation. If it's a quality Tri suit it will retain it's shape. I did my first Tri without a wetsuit and while the water was cold  there were no other drawbacks beside the warmth, floatation and speed a wet suit provides.  Subsequent  sprint tri's have been with a light wetsuit which does still let enough water in to get a Tri suit wet but it still doesn't loose shape.

Good luck.

Pete

• quadzilla1 Expert 39 posts since
    May 30, 2010
    5. Jun 20, 2011 6:54 AM (in response to DDChies1)

I race in my singlet all the time if wet suits are not allowed. It does not hinder performance whatsoever. Racing like this makes for a very quick transition onto the bike.

Don't worry...give it a try and let us know what you think.

Brad

Sport Packs members get Sports Drinks, Protein Bars and Energy Bars at huge discounts!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...