Skip navigation

788 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2011 1:56 PM by Julie Ann Hackett RSS
captainkirk32201 Rookie 2 posts since
May 14, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 8, 2011 1:15 PM

2 weeks to go before first tri!!

Okay, so I have less than 2 weeks to go before my first Sprint tri! part of me is nervous and part of me is excited. But --a few more questions to the lovely folks out there. I am training on a mountain bike right now but will be borrowing my friends Hybrid bike for the race. What are the differences that I can expect and how much time do you think will be shaved off my mountain bike time just by using a hybrid? Also, what should my workouts be from here on out?? I know they say taper but I would love to know specific distances/times I need to do for what days--so like today is Wednesday and the Tri is not this Sunday but next , so what should I do leading up to D day?

Also, when I am biking, I have learned my fingers start going numb--any way to fix that?? Oh and regarding swimming--I got the Total Immersion dvd and it has helped alot but one thing I cannot seem to get is kicking and spearing on the opposite side,, if I spear with my right hand, I automatically kick with my right leg. Is it a big deal or an exercise that will fix this?? Any last minute tips that a newbie needs to know would be great!!

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jun 8, 2011 1:32 PM (in response to captainkirk32201)
    Re: 2 weeks to go before first tri!!

what does your training plan say to do?  no idea about the time savings.  maybe gloves will help w/ the numbness or change hand positions occassionally. no idea about the kick thing.

have fun and good luck!

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 227 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Jun 8, 2011 1:56 PM (in response to captainkirk32201)
    Re: 2 weeks to go before first tri!!

I wouldn't change things up too much 2 weeks before your race.  If your swim is getting you from point a to point b, don't worry about trying to fix it now.  Agreed, gloves would probably help the numbness in your hands, but that could also be from the riding position on the mountain bike.  If you can borrow your friends hybrid now, see if just switching bikes helps.  I would guess you're speed would probably improve a few mph with the different bike.  Plus you're legs might be a little fresher for the run.  I would keep doing whatever your regular training plan has been just shorten the distances.  Make sure you're eating right and getting plenty of rest.  Don't hesitate to ask questions at the checkin and in the transition area if you are unsure about anything.  Good luck and have a great time!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...