Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1300 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2011 7:19 AM by Angela42495 RSS
Angela42495 Amateur 11 posts since
Sep 20, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 31, 2011 12:43 PM

Training Advice

Help, I really need some advice and I feel lost.  Last year, I trained for a marathon...I completed my 24 mile training run, but was not able to run in the marathon due to injury.  I have struggled with rehab over the last 9 months and it is time to start training again.  I'm running three days a week now, usually 5-6 miles each time and I cross train 3 days a week.  I push myself hard on the crosstraining (at least an hour of cycling/elliptical).  I'm looking at training plans that only have me running 3 days a week because I really feel my legs need the extra recovery, but the plans only call for 20-30 minutes of cross training on off days.  Should I cut back to meet the plan and avoid injury or should I continue to push my body with what I am used to doing?  Also, does anyone know of a good plan to follow for marathon training that only runs 3 days per week.  I'm struggling to find something that seems reasonable.  Thanks for your help.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,324 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. May 31, 2011 1:50 PM (in response to Angela42495)
    Re: Training Advice

One plan I know of is FIRST (http://www.furman.edu/first/fmtp.htm).  It features 3 days of running and 3 cross-training each week.  Most of their recommended cross-training seems to be in the 45 - 60 minute range.  The plan is also featured in the book Run Less, Run Faster.

Len

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Jun 1, 2011 5:09 AM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Re: Training Advice

Another one is Hal Higdon's Novice plans they run 4 days and cross train 1 with 2 days of rest.  It only has you run 20 miles, which a lot of plans stop at 20 because a lot of people think going over 20 makes your chances of injury increase.  I think you need to ease some of the leg cross training when you are at the top part of your cycle.  This is a easy quote to write just not live by:  "You can only over train if you under rest".

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points