Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4508 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2011 5:09 AM by reddolp50 Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Golden Tips Expert 39 posts since
    May 29, 2011

TS,

Great job on your first day! Keep up the good work. I am also new to running so I am not really ready to offer advice yet, but I can offer some encouragement. Don't give up!

Tipps

February 17, 2012 Abu Dhabi Terry Fox Run (8.5K) (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - 48.24

September 3, 2011: 5K Race Against the Reds (Fredericton,Canada) – 33.51

August 1, 2011: NB Day 5K (Chipman, Canada) – 36.58

Bloghttp://ruralrouterunner.wordpress.com/

• reddolp50 Legend 461 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011

I wish I had learned Spanish now......one of these days that will be another challenge I take on - becoming bilingual.

Looks like some great information though.

Penguins Rule, Penguin On, Penguin UP!

Don't Put That Crap in Your Mouth There is no finish line.....Nike Advertisement

10/29/11 5k Chocolate Beano 42.52

Mar 17, 2011

Thanks for sharing the title to that book again  - def getting that and to Katie - thanks for the Moms Run this Town - checked it out and signed up - Love the sharing of information!!

Don't Put That Crap in Your Mouth There is no finish line.....Nike Advertisement

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008

I think my number one tip would have to be this:  Be Patient!

Almost any problem you are going to encounter as a new runner and beyond all comes back to that. Everything from building up your cardiovascular fitness and endurance, to avoiding overuse injuries, to losing weight, to increasing your pace, takes time and consistent effort.  Running is hard and there are no shortcuts to reaching your goals, but the payoffs are tremendous.   The second part of my advice is just as important if you intend to become a lifelong runner and that is to Enjoy Where You Are At.  So many new runners stress over how fast they run and how far they run compared to more experienced runners.  They are trying so hard to reach the next level that they don't enjoy the process of getting there.  Running is a very individual sport and all that matters is your own progress at your own pace.   Discover why you love to run for the sake of running itself and all the other goals will gradually come into reach.    Good luck and happy running!

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    22. Jun 8, 2011 6:49 AM (in response to Marykb)
    Re: So I've decided to become a runner...tips anyone?

Marykb, That is excellent advise to everyone.  May I suggest you repost that comment in a new thread to allow more ppl to see it.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    23. Jun 9, 2011 4:49 AM (in response to Marykb)

I agree with mary!

• snortman Pro 69 posts since
    May 22, 2011

Wow, Mary summed it up really good. Best of success to you, Tanya. I hope you achieve your goals and more.

snortman

Mar 17, 2011
    25. Jun 9, 2011 5:09 AM (in response to Marykb)

Thank You Mary -

That is just what I need to keep in my mind and not just once, but over and over.  Who doesn't want to run with the feet of fleet?  However, I can't and running is enjoyable if I don't compare/complain about where I am.   Platinum information!!  Thank You Again!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points