Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

6127 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2011 6:30 AM by JoshuaHickey 1 2 Previous Next
DDChies1 Expert 42 posts since
May 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 9, 2011 9:59 AM

Bring my bento box during a sprint tri?

Just seeing what other people do -

Do people usually bring their bento during their sprint tri's?  

During workouts an hour away from home, sure, I could need my spare tire, pump, C02, cell phone, etc.

During a race though?

I'm not packing any extraneous nutrition.  Water bottle is going to be only half-filled since it's a super short bike leg (12).

If I flat, I'm done - if not technically, more mentally.  Trying to take my races fairly seriously...

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Dan

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jun 9, 2011 10:47 AM (in response to DDChies1)
    Re: Bring my bento box during a sprint tri?

guess the issues is how hard is it to take off/put back on. don't think bento will affect yoru performance much if you left it on

good luck!

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Aprilfool79 Amateur 11 posts since
    May 11, 2011
    2. Jun 9, 2011 5:06 PM (in response to DDChies1)

most I see do not take it with them for sprint. check your tire pressure and casing very carefully before you set your bike in T1 and call it good. The rationale is: in a sprint tri, if you flat, you're done. Either your race is over, but hey, it's a sprint they're mostly for fun, or hey, with so short a bike leg, the time to swap it finishes me in competition, so why bring it. I do not bring repair kits on anything short of a 1/2. It has come back to bite me, but not enough to make me change. but hey, I'm a fool

• BT.ROB Legend 271 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    3. Jun 10, 2011 9:53 AM (in response to Aprilfool79)

I do take a small under-seat bag with spare tire and mini-pump or CO2 for all races. Sure, in Sprint the time to change (and I'm pretty fast at it from years of experience) can/will knock you off the podium if you think you will be there. BUT, are you going to walk back 6 miles? Or even 1 mile? Wait a couple of hours for a sweep vehicle? I'd rather fix it, get back on and finish the race, even if it becomes just a training session. Sometimes there is only three of us in my old-guy age group; last but on the podium! If you are so worried about weight, lose a couple of pounds on your engine, it will benefit you on the run as well.

BT

• MLawrie Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 24, 2010
    5. Jun 12, 2011 2:57 AM (in response to DDChies1)

I'm thinking about a tri in my future - I'm a swimmer / runner - but haven't done any triatholons.

But I have to ask, are you seriously that worried about the weight of half a bottle of water and a bento box?  I mean - it's not 5 pounds!

What's the thinking here?  If you were really tough, you would strap a gallon jug of water to the back of your bike.  ;-)

Thanks!

• fultonca Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Jun 12, 2011 9:23 AM (in response to DDChies1)

For a sprint tri, there should be no need for a bento box. 

Any nourishment that you put in there will not likely to get into your system until after the race is over.  As a spint is between 50-80 minutes depending on your conditioning and length of the sprint (they do vary), you should take nourishment at least one hour before the race to build your glycogen stores in your muscles, and possibly take a water bottle filled with easly absorbed sugars, so it is absorbed for your run.  There is so much to think about before a race, reducing the number of items you need to think about (bento box) just makes the race a bit smoother. 

As for pumps and extra tires, etc,  if you are participating to only finish the race, then YES bring flat tire repair items.   If you are participating to "place" in the event or age group, a pump/CO2 and tube is not required, as if you blow a tire, the race is so short that you will never recover the 5-10 minutes to change the tube.

Aug 24, 2010
    8. Jun 12, 2011 6:21 PM (in response to DDChies1)

Yeah - that's what I was thinking - training heavy (even with a heavy bike) - why worry about weight.  I guess, unless you expect to place?

It reminds me about the popularity of ultralight hiking - everyone spending thousands of dollars to hike light forgetting that the first guys that did it were the real men/women - and hiked with canvas packs with wooden frames and cast iron pots for cookware.  =)

Good luck with your training and race though!

Aug 24, 2010
    9. Jun 12, 2011 6:22 PM (in response to DDChies1)

BTW - awesome finish.

• Aprilfool79 Amateur 11 posts since
    May 11, 2011
    11. Jun 13, 2011 9:10 AM (in response to DDChies1)
    Great Job
  • Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    12. Jun 14, 2011 10:42 AM (in response to DDChies1)

Awesome finish.  I'm a minimalist to begin with so I don't have much on my bike even for the longer distances (that was a mistake, but that's another story).  I like the idea of training with extra weight so you feel lighter on race day.  Going to have to give that try.

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    13. Jun 14, 2011 3:23 PM (in response to DDChies1)

I dont carry a bento for a sprint.  You can tuck a tube and co2 under your saddle.

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• fultonca Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Jun 19, 2011 12:21 PM (in response to DDChies1)

Super finish.  Congrats!!!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...