Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

12194 Views 86 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2011 11:20 PM by GeoWolf RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • MomIrl47 Rookie 6 posts since
    May 7, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. May 23, 2011 4:22 PM (in response to jliller3)
    Re: Starting 5/4/11...anyone else in?

Hi , How's everyone doing ? I seem to be just too busy to catch up ! Just to let you all know I finished W3 - Yay !! I have now completed W4D2 this evening. I found the last 5 minute run tough going today for some reason but having said that I can't believe that I am now running for 5 minutes at a time. I had some problems with my left knee towards the end of last week but I iced it & that seemed to help. I think I was walking too fast on the treadmill for my intervals . I slowed down a little & that too seems to have helped.

I am dreading next week. I haven't repeated a week yet but I can see myself doing it next week. Up to now I have ran every second day but a rest day might come in useful at that stage !!

Hope everyone is doing okay with work & study & finding time for their runs.

President Obama was in Ireland today & I have to say we were very impressed by him. He even jogged down the street as he went walkabout ! Queen Elizabeth was here last week & she is a great lady & has so stamina for her age.

• j9blair2 Expert 40 posts since
    May 6, 2011
    76. May 26, 2011 10:34 AM (in response to j9blair2)

After working hard to get back on schedule last week, I'm behind again after a couple of days of bad luck.

I hurt my knee (not running) Tuesday night.  So I decided to rest it and not run Wed morning.  Wed afternoon I lost my iPod in a public place and will probably never get it back.  I blame myself, but I'm also mad because I JUST bought the Nike+ for iPod ($30).  Anyway, I still had two old iPod shuffles, and got one of them working (the old ones that hang around your neck).  So I downloaded the podcasts and now I'm ready to go again.  My knee feels okay today, so I hope it won't be a problem, but I will definitely stop running if it starts hurting.

So W5D2 was scheduled for Wednesday.  I think I'll run tonight, so I can do the 20 minutes on Saturday, and be back on my normal M/W/F schedule next week.

My birthday is next week, so if my iPod isn't returned by then I guess I'll just have to splurge on a new one. 

Jeanine

Started C25K: 4/28/11

Proud to Run 5k: 6/25/11 ~42:36

Chicago Women's Half Marathon: 6/24/12 ~2:49:59

Chicago Fleet Feet Super Sprint Triathlon: 8/24/12 ~1:11:28

Hot Chocolate 15k Chicago: 11/04/12 ~2:10:48

Commitment Day Chicago: 1/1/13 ~not timed

Soldier Field 10 Mile: 5/25/13 ~2:17:06

May 6, 2011
    77. May 27, 2011 8:24 AM (in response to j9blair2)

I was too determined to get back on my normal schedule.  So I ran W5D2 last night, and W5D3 this morning!!!  I know, I know I know.  I shouldn't have run so close together.  But the last two days without my runs have just been dragging.  I was really lacking motivation to do anything.  I knew I needed that back today, being a busy work day for me.  So I told myself this morning that if I couldn't do W5D3 all the way through, then I would have an excuse that my runs were too close together and I would try again tomorrow.  But at the very least I would get some running in to help me to focus today.

But I did it!!  The first 5 minutes were hard for me, but once I got in the groove, it seemed a little better.  At the end I threw my hands up like Rocky because I was so proud of myself!!!  AND now I'm back on my regular schedule, which is the best part of everything.  I was really afraid I'd keep getting behind, but I'm so glad I made up the difference today.

So Week 6 starts Monday.  Not looking forward to it since I hear it's much harder.  But I'm determined.

Jeanine

• GeoWolf Pro 96 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    78. May 29, 2011 2:27 PM (in response to faithintx)

Good to see so many people doing so well.

I've gotten behind after missing some days.  Honeslty I don't even know how many.  I think I W3D2 a week ago Wed.  That night my MIL was taken to the hospital and while I was reeling from that the next day our wonderful miniture Australian Sheperd Max was left outside for a few minutes and the guy across the street (who we discovered was a convicted felon) shot and killed him.  Max had taken several of my jogs or at least part of them with me.  The felon also shot a little stray puppy that had showed up a few days before.  (That puppy had followed me on my entire jog on Wed after I didn't notice him until I was a ways down the road.)  Both dogs were in my yard at the time.  Needless to say I was devastated and since the guy was out on bail by the next morning I have not felt safe.  I think I jogged that Friday (that was W3D2) at the park when we took our son because we are afraid to let him play in our yard since the guy didn't seem to care that he was shooting toward a house where a preschooler lives.  On top of that his mother almost hit me with her truck as she drove up to yell at me and call me crazy for calling the cops over a dog and then proceeded to tell me I need to watch my son.  I've been a wreak.  Jogging here alone doesn't seem safe to me and the park where I can jog is about 13 miles away.  I've also been ill (some of it is nerves and panic attacks.) and 2 days I couldn't have jogged if I'd wanted to.  I finally did W4D1 Friday (guess that would make it a week off.) It went much better than I expected.  But I'm having a hard time getting my motivation back.  Having a hard time even getting out of bed.  I have lost my faith in the goodness of people especially the one's around here. I am at war with my inlaws over how they are treating my MIL and I failed to find her an attorney to make sure her rights were being looked after.  I failed to protect my dog.  I failed to keep my emotions under control and shield my son from the worst of this.  I'm not sleeping and not eatting and not jogging on schedule.

I hope I can get back on track and finish this so I at least have something.  Thank you for listening and good job to those of you who are out their running.

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

May 6, 2011
    79. May 29, 2011 7:48 PM (in response to GeoWolf)

Geowolf - I am so sorry to hear about everything you are going through.  It just sounds aweful.

I hope that you won't give up on running, even if you're not on schedule.  I have a high stress job and used to have problems with anxiety and panic attacks.  Running has been a wonderful way to clear my head and get rid of some of my stress.

Please don't think you failed.  Bad things just happen, and there is probably nothing you could do differently.  It sounds like your neighbor is just a loon and hopefully justice will be done.  Hang in there.

Jeanine

May 6, 2011
    80. Jun 3, 2011 8:29 AM (in response to j9blair2)

Anyone still running?

I finished W6D3 and it's officially 3 weeks till my first 5k.  I'm feeling okay about it...found out my pace this morning: 11:36mm (over 2 miles).

Jeanine

Jul 28, 2010
    81. Jun 4, 2011 1:07 AM (in response to faithintx)

Way off schedule with everything that's been going on but I'm trying to not fall to far behind.  The heat here is crazy with record highs.  We've been busting 100 degrees and it was 104 or 105 one day.  I'd planned to jog that day but when it was still 99 at 9 PM I decided that it just wasn't a good idea.  Today it cooled down pretty quickly it was still 100 at about 4 pm but in the 80's by 9.  I jogged close to 11 and it was 79 with humidity right below 70% so not to bad.  Much nicer than my W4D2 jog a few days ago.  Went better too.  They day 2 jog I had to sit down for 60 seconds before my final jog because I was dizzy, this time I didn't.  I did have to pause in the 2 1/2 minute walk to stretch a leg cramp but it wasn't more that 30 seconds and I'm sure if I hadn't I would have had to stop much longer later on.  I really felt good this jog and I actually feel like I can do next weeks day 1 jogs.  The other days scare me.  I've already decided that if I can't do day 3 without a walk after 2 tries I'm moveing on as long as I can do at least 10 minutes of it without a short walk.

Glad to see some updates.  I stopped by after my last run and I felt odd posting again when no one else was here so I skipped it.  Hope we can get this thread lit up again.  

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2014 - ??

• MomIrl47 Rookie 6 posts since
    May 7, 2011
    82. Jun 5, 2011 4:18 PM (in response to GeoWolf)

Hi where's everyone gone ?!! Mind you I haven't exactly been lighting the boards myself !! It's been very busy here & I did get sidetracked but I'm back on track. I finished W6D2 today & because it's TOM I found it hard enough. Don't know if I'll be able for a 25 minute run on Tuesday but I'll give it a go. I'm determined to do this so please everyone don't give up. Get back in touch cos definately if I can manage to get this far you all can. I missed a week but made myself get back out there & I will make it !! Fingers crossed !!

May 6, 2011
    83. Jun 6, 2011 8:59 AM (in response to GeoWolf)

Glad to see you back at it, Geowolf!  Take it one step at a time, and just see what you can do.  Don't push too hard.

I was nervous about W6D3 (25 minute run) but since it was only 5 minutes longer than W5D3, I decided to come up with things that take 5 minutes, and thought about them during the last 5 minutes of my run.  The funny thing was I found it hard to come up with things that are 5 minutes, so I changed my strategy and told myself that running these last 5 minutes takes less time than...(taking a shower, walking to the train station, etc).  When I got my ears pierced when I was little, I was told that the pain would only last for 30 minutes.  So I thought about it being the same time as a cartoon show and trying to remember some of my favorite cartoon episodes.  Same concept.

I did W7D1 this morning (although I really wanted to sleep in).  Instead of running for time, I set my Nike+ workout for distance: 2.5 miles.  It took me 29 minutes, but the voiceover announces every 1/2 mile + each 100 meters left when it's less than 1/2 a mile.  For some reason I found this easier (mentally) than hearing how much time had passed.

One problem I'm having is that I'm using my husband's iPod for Nike+ because I lost mine.  Generally, we like the same music.  But he tends to have more mellow stuff than I like - like Radiohead, Doves, etc.  W6D3 with 2 minutes left, Radiohead's "Hunting a Bear" came on (which is a very slow instrumental song).  It was too much of a hassle to fumble with it and skip the song.  So I ran through it, but I told myself I needed to make a playlist of running songs so it doesn't happen again.

Jeanine

Jul 28, 2010
    84. Jun 7, 2011 1:42 PM (in response to faithintx)

Wow you guys are doing so great!  I feel like I'm way behind you now, but I'm still here and that's what counts.

I was supposed to jog Sunday night but we went to Galvaston for the day.  After walking thru Moody Gardens and then 1/2 an hour at their water park we headed for the beach.  I thought about jogging there since it had cooled down and there was nice breeze but with 2 not qute 4 year olds to keep tabs on and the other 2 adults not seeming too be paying enough attention I decided to skip it.  Not sure how I would have felt jogging with so many people watching anyway.  Plus like my husbands cousin said "we must have walked 5 miles today.  I'm thinking more like maybe 2 but it's hard to tell when you're paying more attention to the sights then the distance.

So I decided to attempt W5D1 last night. I'd planned to go a little earlier but life got in the way. Minor things but it was almost midnight by the time I got out. We'd had a rain today and the humidity was 80% but the great thing about rain is the temp was only 69. Felt like heaven compared to what I've been jogging in. Maybe that's why it went so well. Or maybe because I thought it was going to be much harder. The first 5 minutes was actually the hardest. I got to 3 minutes and I really wanted a break. I started singing in my head and the next 2 minutes went by OK but I really had to push myself. The second 5 minutes was hard but just not quite as hard as I expected. Yes I had to push and I was huffing and puffing but after all the minutes I'd pushed thru in the past I knew when it came to 1 or 2 more minutes that I could do it. The last 5 minutes I made a deal with myself not to check until I got to a certain street. I was hoping that by the time I hit that street I'd only have about a minute to jog. I had to do the I can make it to that mailbox or telephone pole thing before I got there and I was just about to tell Joe "I need encouragement" as I got to my goal and pulled out my GPS. I was sort of thinking I must have looked at it wrong when Joe said "time's up." I just couldn't believe it so I was still jogging even though it was past 5 minutes by a few seconds when I looked. (Joe was using the clock in the van and it had changed about 10 seconds after I started jogging.) It felt great. I know I could have made it another minute if I'd needed to.

My distance is pretty bad.  If I include the warm up and cool down in it I'm still falling short a bit.  (I think)  I'm just slow and I'll have to deal with that.  Once I finish for time I'll work on getting my distance to the 5K.  I will do it.

Note to self: Self, Don't jog in shorts if they aren't really long and snug. The ones I wore were cotton (skort actually) and they kept bunching up after I started sweating. By the end of my cooldown they had rubbed my thighs so much I wanted to do the cowboy walk. Only downside of the night. Only minor leg cramps after jog number 1 and I stretched those out doing a sort of waltz walk. LOL I am so thrilled that I'm doing so well. Looking forward to attempting day 2, but not so much day 3. Can you tell how excited I am?

2014 - ??

May 6, 2011
    85. Jun 8, 2011 9:08 AM (in response to GeoWolf)

Great job!

Don't worry about distance - the only reason I'm doing distance now is because my 5k is scheduled on W9D3.  I just want to be prepared to run the entire thing.  If you don't have your 5k coming up on week 9, give yourself an extra week or two to add more time.  Week 10 do 32 minutes, week 11 do 35, etc.  I'm slow too - and I'm expecting to finish my 5k at around 37-38 minutes with my current pace.  So I can't plan on just running 30 minutes the last week - I have to be prepared to run for at least 8 more minutes!

I started a week ahead of everyone, so don't worry about being behind.  When I signed up for Active.com, I saw this group and joined even though I was ahead.  I assumed I was going to repeat weeks anyway, so I might end up on the same schedule after all.

I did W7D2 today.  It was hot so instead of planning to run 2.5 miles, I set my workout to 25 minutes.  I was tired and I really wanted to quit at 25 minutes, but I kept going because I really wanted that 2.5 miles.  So then I had planned at stopping at 30 minutes, but I just couldn't do it.  When I stopped, I saw that my distance was 2.5 after all!  I was happy about that and it motivates me to do 2.5 again on Friday instead of 25 minutes.

Jeanine

Jul 28, 2010
    86. Jun 9, 2011 11:20 PM (in response to j9blair2)

Sounds like you are doing great.  I haven't signed up for anything yet.  Mostly because I'm so slow I have no idea when I'm going to actually run 5K.  I'm just not ready to run for distance.  I don't have the stamina to go that much further and I don't have the time.  Rght now I sadly feel like I need a body guard to jog.  I was starting to feel a little more comfortable but not any more.

I'm not worried about it but it just feels a little odd to be so far behind.   Here is what I posted last night to a group I joined on a non fitness board who are doing the program too.

When I started out tonight the guy across the street and a woman (I think his mom) were out in the yard talking loud. I couldn't really hear what they were saying because I was on the other side of the van. Didn't really care to anyway but it made me nervous and I could feel a panic attack coming on. I talked myself down but burned up some energy because I was breathing heavy and walking too fast. Forgot about him as I started my jog.

8 minutes! It seemed like such a long time. At about 2 minutes Joe called out the time and I was thinking no way can I do this. I told him don't tell me how long I have unless I'm close to done. I kept jogging trying to think of anything except what I was doing. I pushed myself and kept on pushing thinking well I gave it my best shot I'll quit when I get to this spot and then I'd move the spot a little further back and keep going. I looked at my GPS thinking I was done for but I only had 30 seconds left, so I chugged on.

I felt good having done it once but could I do it again? 20 seconds into my walk the leg cramps hit. Worse than my last bout but I tried the same trick and they settled down after a couple of munutes. Drank some water decided on a spot to check my time on the way back home and turned around to head in the next 8. By 4 minutes I don't how I was puttting one foot in front of the other. I told Joe I have to slpw down or I'm never going to make it. Lift step drop, lift... Looked at the moon. Stars. Thought of a song in my head. 6 minutes Joe announced. Time for some encouragement, fast, cause my feet don't want to go. Daniel piped up from the back seat. "come on mama you can do it" Ah that helps. "You're doing a great job mama." And some how my feet keep moving.

I was so proud of myself when I did it. I think another 20 steps would have done me in, but I made it and that's what counts. I was feeling great as I started my cooldown walk.

I try to do it in the street because I don't want the lure of the house to tempt me, but about halfway thru the guy across the street started his truck up so I told Daniel to go in the house and I decided to finish it in the yard. He drove past the house slowly and I made sure I was up close to the house as he did, Once he passed I headed back down the driveway. When I got to the end I noticed that he had stopped at the next driveway and he started backing up. I turned around and headed back toward the house. I was most of the way there when he stopped across the end of the driveway and just sat there staring. (I could only see his shadow) I was scared and angry at the same time. I paused wondering if maybe he wanted to say he was sorry and was too stupid the know this would not be the way to do it but he just sat there looking. I got goosebumps and hurried in telling Joe who had come back out with Daniel to gey him back inside. I called the police.

I was chatting with a neighbor on facebook and she told me that I need to stop being scared and get over this. Is it me or is it people out here?

2014 - ??

1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...