Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2711 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2011 2:48 PM by aradesh RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Tammy47701 Amateur 17 posts since
Aug 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 9, 2011 1:01 PM

Should I continue to the next week if struggling with this week?

I just completed C25K 2week 4.  I could complete each of the three workouts in entirety, although the 5 min intervals are a real struggle - esp the last minute.  I am wondering as long as I could complete them, am I ready for week 5?  or should last run of week 4 be pretty comfortable before moving on?  or just try week 5 and see how it goes?  Looking at Week 5 is pretty intimidating.  I can't imagine if I'm struggling to finish 5 minutes how on Earth I can possibly do 20 continuous minutes on day 3 of week 5!  Thanks for any advice.

• CherylNTX Amateur 14 posts since
    May 16, 2011

I have been trying to get an answer to the same thing. How do we judge?  I think I'm going to be on week 4 for several extra days, it is kicking my tail. :-\

**Couch to 5K**
    Finished
    Week 1   5/20/11
    Week 2   5/26/11
    Week 3   6/02/11

Week 4   6/18/11

Week 5   6/24/11

• jliller3 Pro 119 posts since
    May 6, 2011

I really think you are the only one who can judge that.  I never really felt comfortable each week, but I moved on anyway and did fine.  I think you almost have to move on for the week before to seem easier, if that makes any sense.  I know that the 20 minute run killed me, but now that I have run 28 minutes and beyond, the thought of 20 minutes is easy.  As long as your not injured, I would move on and see how it goes.  You may be shocked by how much you can actually do!

Jeannette

"Spectacular achievements are always preceded by unspectacular preparation" ~Roger Staubach

Started C25K - April 18, 2011

Graduated C25K - June 17, 2011

Started Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Program - June 19, 2011

First 5K - July 2, 2011  Time:  34:21

2nd 5K - August 13, 2011   Time:  33:18

• aradesh Expert 38 posts since
    May 22, 2011

i think it's all down to how you feel. even if week 5 is too hard for you, repeating week 5 will be no less beneficial than repeating week 4 - and you never know you might find week 5 ok. but if you want to take your time and repeat week 4 just do it - theres no rush. i don't think anyone expects to be able to do the 20 minute run but surprise themselves when they do it.. at least from what i've read on here. i've only just finished week 3. week 4 seems pretty intimidating to me with the sudden leap in running minutes and lower rest periods between runs.

• CherylNTX Amateur 14 posts since
    May 16, 2011

Really good input, thanks!  I have been going on the theory that if I can do a week, even if it's not pretty, I go on, but I've been worrying about doing it that way.  Sounds like that's the general consensus! I feel much better!  Although, I will still be hanging out with week 4 for at least 2 more workouts, I haven't successfully completed a full workout yet. Maybe tonight's the night! :-)  Good luck Tammy!

**Couch to 5K**
    Finished
    Week 1   5/20/11
    Week 2   5/26/11
    Week 3   6/02/11

Week 4   6/18/11

Week 5   6/24/11

• jeljohns Pro 106 posts since
    Jan 4, 2011

It actually took me around 15 weeks to finish instead of the 10 in the plan. It moved WAY too fast for me. I would just do some workouts over again or repeat a hard week. At the end of the 10 weeks I could only run 2 miles and it took me 30 minutes!  Just because it's a set plan doesn't mean you have to follow it exactly. Do what is best for you and listen to your body.

• GeoWolf Pro 96 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010

The way I've done this is if I finish run I move on no matter how ugly it was.  (I run for time because I'm super slow)  For the weeks where there were more than 1 jog that was the same as long as I finished the day 3 jog I didn't let the others bother me and I moved on.  On week 5 my plan was to days as needed.  I was super nervous and pretty much assumed I'd be doing everyday at least twice.  Tomorrow I try W5D3 and I was amazed when I didn't have to repeat either of the other days.  I had to reach deep and it wasn't pretty but I did it.

Good luck

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• aradesh Expert 38 posts since
    May 22, 2011

i've done some maths to make W5 seem less scary.

Notice in week 4 you're running for 16 minutes out of a total of 21.5 minutes. This is running for 74% of the time for 21.5 minutes.

Now W5D1 is only 15 mins of running in 21 mins, thats 71% of the time running, and W5D2 is 16 mins in 21 mins, 76% of the time running. So W5D1/D2 should be fairly similar to what you're used to already. If D3 goes bad, worst case scenario is you're just gonna end up having a gap and not running for 20 mins straight. Maybe we can think of W5D3 as the same as W5D2 but with 4 minute jog replacing the 5 min walk ... and 4 minute jogs are easy right?

• lschwenks Rookie 4 posts since
    May 8, 2010

No doubt, W5 and W6 look intimidating.  If you feel you want to repeat a week, there is no harm in that.   Are you physically ok?  Or is it more mental?  I'm guessing it's more mental and you're trying to convince yourself to go on.  Don't sell yourself short, you can do this!  I know the tendancy is to look ahead to D3 but don't forget D1 and D2 are preparing you for D3 also.  You've gotten this far, now you just need to convince yourself.  Start the next week to see how it goes, you can always repeat a week if you would like.  This is the part of the program where you will be transitioning to be a runner.  It won't be easy, but it feels great!  You're almost there, keep up the good work!

Some people run to get in shape...we get in shape to run! - Paavo Nurmi

7/10/10 - Completed C25K

7/15/10 - Wheels & Heels 5K, Milwaukee, WI - 31:22

9/17/10 - Nancy's Run Rock 'n Stroll 5K, West Allis WI - 28:07

11/20/10 - Clear Water Outdoos Turkey Trot 10K - 57:07

5/7/11 - Wisconsin Half Marathon - 2:16:50

5/29/11 - Madison Half Marathon - 2:17:09

• jliller3 Pro 119 posts since
    May 6, 2011

Tammy - I think the most difficult part is the mental part.  You just have to try the runs each week.  I always thought I would have to repeat a week, but I never did.  I will do W9D1 on Monday and can't believe how far I've come.  I am NOT and NEVER HAVE BEEN a runner.  I was always jealous of people who ran but couldn't get up the courage to try it myself.  I started C25K and I am shocked at how effective it is.

I think the 20 minute run is one breakthrough.  Then, I think there may be another.  I have found that now that I am supposed to run almost 30 minutes, by the time the 30 minutes is done I can keep going.  I did 48 minutes yesterday for W8D3 and felt fine the whole time (a little tough on the uphills, but nothing I couldn't handle.)  Keep in mind, I have NEVER been a runner AND when I started on W1D1 I thought I was going to DIE!!!!

Keep it up, and it WILL pay off!!

Happy running

Jeannette

"Spectacular achievements are always preceded by unspectacular preparation" ~Roger Staubach

Started C25K - April 18, 2011

Graduated C25K - June 17, 2011

Started Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Program - June 19, 2011

First 5K - July 2, 2011  Time:  34:21

2nd 5K - August 13, 2011   Time:  33:18

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points