Skip navigation

4566 Views 43 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2011 1:56 AM by SoCalStenographer RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Mitch Myers Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jun 6, 2011 4:54 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Ojai Valley Century 2011 Reviews

I have done OVC twice and I believe it to be one of the best organized rides.  The SAG stops were in good locations with plenty of good refreshments.  The lunch in Ventura was great.  The scenery was great and the course had some challenging climbs (I did the Hammerhead route).

• Captnli Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 30, 2007
    31. Jun 6, 2011 7:09 PM (in response to Guest )

This is my fifth or maybe even sixth time doing this ride. Love the area and the ride. Unfortunately, there are a couple of things I have to mention on the negative side. The turn on Greenwell on the century ride needs to be marked a bit further up the road. Several people crashed at this corner including my friend. He witnessed another person crash there while he was waiting for a sag to pick him up.

Also, the BBQ is not what it use to be. Too expensive and not much for the money. The raffle prizes were meager this year as well.

Other than that the Scouts did a great job and the rest stops were well stocked.

• Julie Fluhr Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 26, 2010
    32. Jun 6, 2011 8:07 PM (in response to Guest )

This was our third time Riding the Ojai (1 Metric and 2 Centuries) to celebrate our wedding anniversary.  I cannot say enough good things about the volunteers--super friendly and very helpful.  We also had use for the mechanic at the lunch stop (flat tire).  The guys were great and fixed my husband right up.  The weather was better than we expected and we only got sprinkled on in the last 3-4 miles.

To echo some of the other comments, the one thing that needed improvement was the route markings.  We got a little lost at the start and at the very end and there was too many turns close together in those two parts of the ride to crack out the cue sheet.  Some advance warning for some of the trickier turns and the left turns in high traffic areas would be helpful too.

Overall, this was a great event and we look forward to participating next year!

• sdforsyth Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 22, 2008
    33. Jun 6, 2011 9:53 PM (in response to Guest )

Always one of my favorite rides-great day

• CJ_Clark Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 15, 2007
    34. Jun 6, 2011 10:27 PM (in response to Guest )

Great volunteers, helped disinfect a friend with road rash.  Food was well-stocked.  I was blaming myself for getting lost but after reading some other reviews maybe it wasn't my fault i missed a turn and got off the track.  Unfortunately that's where i had a flat and was stuck for a while puzzling it all out.  Balloons at one of the turns were a GREAT idea - more - they provide good advance warning. 

Lovely scenery, truly enjoyed it, will be back.  Where were the popsicles???  (Didn't really need them, i was just curious.)

• yirui Legend 2 posts since
    Apr 20, 2011
    35. Jun 7, 2011 11:47 AM (in response to Tommy Mann Jr)

I AM A SPAMMER AND HAVE NO MANNERS

• armcycle Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 7, 2011
    36. Jun 7, 2011 7:10 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first Century ride, and I loved it! It was a little confusing to find your next turn in some intersections, but for that many turns probably it should be expected. I loved all the fresh foods that were provided in SAG stops, specially the ice-cream at the finish line. Thanks to all the volunteers help, and thank you for the first time Century medal.

• MyTwoSons Community Moderator 225 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    37. Jun 7, 2011 11:39 AM (in response to armcycle)

LOL on the spammer.

• Lieven Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 10, 2008
    38. Jun 7, 2011 5:20 PM (in response to Guest )

Very nice event, nice loop (hammerhead Century) Cool weather was cooperating ! Plenty,simple and good food. Good organisation. The volunteers at the stops were very nice and helpful. We will be a walking bilboard for next year event. One remark : painted arrows/directions on the ground could be WAY better .Maybe a little larger, PRIOR to the intersections. Missed 2 turns...a little frustrating to backtrack.

• goswiftly Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    39. Jun 8, 2011 11:21 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first time doing this event and only my second century.  I loved how scenic the course was - it had some challenges, but overall it was a very doable ride  I agree with the comments that have been made about the route marking.  The markings were too small, and not visible until I was almost right on top of them - larger marking, and perhaps some volunteers to help point the way would have been really helpful.  It would have also been helpful to have marking on the long stretches - allowing us to know we were going the right direction and hadn't missed a turn. 

Having the printed sheets was okay, but for someone who came from out-of-state for the ride, they were'nt terribly helpful.  Half the time there weren't any street signs.

Lunch was okay, but nothing to jump up and down about (the volunteers were great though), and I go in late, so basically missed the BBQ completely.

Overall though, the ride was great and I'd consider doing it again.

• Christine082965 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 9, 2011
    40. Jun 9, 2011 10:32 PM (in response to Guest )

This was our first time doing the Ojai ride and we really enjoyed it!  The rest stops were great; the people were very friendly and it wasn't too crowded like some of the other rides.  Love that you limit the number of riders.  Also, check in was so easy and well organized!  The only very slight criticism I have is the route didn't seem to be marked very well at the beginning of the metric centrury and even the ride slip didn't help.  Otherwise it was great!

• J Day Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 20, 2008
    41. Jun 11, 2011 6:45 PM (in response to Guest )

This was the first year doing the Ojai Century. The route was excellent with a mix of terrain. I thought the stick-on markings were adequate other than near the beginning but I may have been talking and not paying attention very well. The rest stops were well stocked and placed at reasonable distances.

If I can make it out next year I will definitely be back. This is by far the best value of any century I have done.

• KRGracia Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 30, 2011
    42. Jun 12, 2011 6:46 AM (in response to Guest )

My first time on the Ojai half-metric and it was awesome, lots of well organized support and road markings. Volunteers at all stations were great, very helpful and cheerful to all riders. Weather played out pretty good and I look forward to attempting the full metric next year!

• SoCalStenographer Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 28, 2008
    43. Jun 13, 2011 1:56 AM (in response to Guest )

I've ridden a couple dozen centuries and I have to say that the support stops were pretty well stocked and also the volunteers were fabulous. The only frown I'd give would be to the road markers were not well placed at all. If it weren't that I lived in the area and have ridden this route hundreds of times, I would have been lost. On a couple occasions I would have people following me because they knew I was familiar with the route. At road intersections there were no markers...or if there were markers, it was after the fact. you'd have to first guess which way to turn and if the markers would show up down the road, I guess you made a good choice on which way to turn. Markers should always be at every intersection or street corners to let the riders know which way to go...all the time. But other than that, it was great and I'd love to do it again.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...