Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7222 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2011 3:45 PM by Julie Ann Hackett Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • BDombal86 Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 21, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 11, 2011 5:36 PM (in response to caniseetoo)
    Re: How do you acclimate for running in the heat?

Up here in Connecticut we have just hit a heat wave as well.  When it heats up I do two things to get my body acclimated:

1. Slow down

2. Run longer

If you run slower you can run longer before you're shot.  Keep hydrated so you can keep sweating to cool yourself.  If you stop sweating all of a sudden take a break, rehydrate and cool down.  Basically it all just takes time in the heat and you'll be good to go.

Brett

Activenortheast.com

• crl8686 Legend 1,306 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    16. Jun 11, 2011 9:26 PM (in response to caniseetoo)

I live in an inland suburb of Los Angeles where midday summer temperatures are often in the 95-100 deg range. However, at 6 AM it's usually more like 60 deg - it cools down significantly since the air is relatively dry. It usually doesn't get to 80 deg till about 10 AM. So I almost always run in the early morning to avoid the heat. It's somewhat more humid in the early AM, but the cooler temperatures more than compensate.

If I do have to run when it's over 80 deg, I slow down and look for whatever shade I can find. I'll sometimes soak my hair in cold water before heading out, since a great deal of heat is lost through the head (I believe about 50%). I've tried a white runners' cap soaked in cold water, although I find the cap tends to retain heat as soon as it dries. Over the course of the summer, I will slowly acclimate to that temperature range, just by doing it, although I think it's more efficient to instead avoid it and just get up earlier.

Above 90 deg - for me, it's junk miles at best. Time for indoors if I want to do any sort of quality workout.

Now if I'm traveling back East and have to run in heat + high humidity - I have no time to acclimate since I don't live there. My only option is to run early in the morning - or on the dreadmill.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Coronado Independence Day 5K, Coronado, CA, 24:36

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• brynn024 Rookie 21 posts since
    Jun 16, 2007
    17. Jun 12, 2011 5:55 AM (in response to caniseetoo)

Something I haven't seen anyone mention is just spending time outside, when you can.  I keep a garden and spend time out there (even when it's super hot).  Our indoor A/C doesn't often get below 78 degrees when it is above 90 degrees outside, so that helps too - my body isn't used to frigid indoor temperatures so the heat outside isn't as much of a shock.  I also spend time with the kids outside playing on the playground or going for walks or whatever when it's hot out. Just being outside will help you get used to the heat, along with running in it.

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    18. Jun 15, 2011 9:38 AM (in response to caniseetoo)

To run in the heat, you usually have to reduce your pace or the length of your runs, at least initially. Hydration is definitely important, as is sun protection.

Here are a few blog posts that I wrote that might help you:

Links Deleted  Please post your blogs here instead of outside links.  Please do not post links to marketing sites.  You may have links to your blog on your "PROFILE PAGE."

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    19. Jun 22, 2011 3:45 PM (in response to caniseetoo)

Try wearing a white long sleeve wicking shirt to keep the sun off your upper body.  A white hat helps too.  You can also roll some ice cubes up in a bandana to wear around your neck.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points