Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14828 Views 60 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2014 6:17 PM by lenzlaw Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • mbares Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010

revivial wrote:

I drink a bottle of coconut water an hour before the race. I ran a 5K last week and did not have to stop for water once.

I have heard about drinking coconut water, but haven't tried it.  They claim chia seed concoctions help keep you hydrated as well.  But I mostly use them for a little bit of a energy boost before a run.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,167 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009

Coconut cream is way different because it is sweetened. Kind of like  condensed milk vs milk. They use it for mixed drinks, etc. I used to use  coconut cream to make really good coconut ice cream in the summer.  Throw in some dark choc chips, etc., but I digress...

Coconut  water is close to human blood plasma in composition, and was actually  used for that purpose during WWII. It's the best for hydration vs sports  drinks, and can sometimes be found in sport-drink sections of stores.

Coconut  milk is what I use on my cereal w/water, is unsweetened and has a lot  of coconut fat in it, which is a medium chain triglyceride saturated fat  that is actually good for you, and popular among athletes for making  protein shakes, etc. (not much protein, just good burnable fat). Your  body burns MCTs like carbs, and it delivers energy in a low-carb diet.  Just don't use too much at a time or you will bloat.

I  used coconut water as morning hydration before a recent successful  marathon. You can buy refreshing but cheaper sweetened versions of it at  Latin and Asian groceries (usually with chunks of coconut meat inside),  but the real thing is harder to find. I bought a case of Zico coconut  water (part fresh, part reconstituted, no sugar added) at BJ's wholesale  club, I think around 25 bucks for.. 10? Yeh, it's expensive, but high  quality for a non-refrigerated convenience drink. http://zico.com/ Nothing is quite as  good, though, as drinking it fresh out of a real coconut, and smashing  and shredding the meat later for snacks.

I have a method for getting the meat out that works 100%. Put the (drained) coconut in a bag and smash it into a few sections. Get a sharp knife and a butter knife. Cut 1/8" slices into the meat inside the shell. After a few strips are cut,  run the butter knife through the groove behind them and they should  separate easily from the shell, leaving a clean shell when you are done,  and convenient snack strips to eat. Refrigerate up to one week. Coconut  products are naturally anti-bacterial, but they won't resist mold forever. The milk and meat might last a couple weeks max, but don't count on it.

• revivial Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 5, 2011

Great description! Know I know what I have been drinking all this time.

If you want to help end world hunger every time you run, check out http://www.irunforfood.org/

• This IS my race pace Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007

I feel so foolish. I just read my original post and realized I gave only one way I beat the heat.  When it gets REALLY hot and muggy, I simply position myself near the window on one of the lower levels of the house and send one of my manservants to run laps around the grounds of the estate for me.  Of course, I keep up w/ the occasional gatorade drinks and on the longer runs the Gu shots to make the experience as realistic as possible.  This seems to work well for me, and my manservant, Raynard, seems to enjoy it also.  He often raises his fist in victory to me whenever he comes close enough that he thinks I can see him.  I admire his spirit and his passion for the sport.

How excited will Raynard be when he finds out I am seriously considering training for the Leadville 100!

• zharleygirl Rookie 5 posts since
    May 29, 2011

Now that there... is funny

"You can't discover new oceans if you're afraid to lose sight of the shore."

Sherrie St. James  

sherriestjames.com

May 29, 2011

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting this information on Coconut Water! I've put it in on my hyrdration checklist.

I do use coconut milk for my cereal it has 5 fat grams per serving, but good to know it's a med. chain triglyceride.

Almond milk (by Diamond) has less fat at (3g) and it's good with cereal as well.

Going to check out the Zico link now.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Sherrie St. James  

sherriestjames.com

• ORcoastrunner Pro 83 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011

My trick?  I moved to the Oregon coast, where our average HIGH temp in July is 68 degrees!  And if that's too hot and sunny for you, just wait until 4pm, when the fog comes rolling in and cools it back down below 60.  Did I mention the wind?  It's a great place to run when everywhere else in the country is an oven.  I recommend you Floridians and other southerners make a trek out here in July or August. 

That said, I have a ton of respect for those of you who keep going in the heat and humidity.  My family took a short trip to DC over Memorial Day.  I ran twice during our stay, a great route around the monuments and part of the mall.  But over 80 degrees and 90% humidity by 8am?  It just about killed me.

I may not be good, but I'm slow!

May 29, 2011

Hi! Is that an invitation!? I would LOVE to see Oregon...head it's just STUNNING! Yeah, we'd have to sop you off the pavement here in Florida.

Are you on couchsurfing.com, so we can come stay with you for a bit? Just teasing (a little).  We envy you. It sounds WONDERFUL!

ALSO...Another tip I just read, grab a cotton pad and dab alcohol (no not beer or merlot...) on your skin after a run and as it evaporates, the heat goes with it.

Sherrie St. James  

sherriestjames.com

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008

There is some recent research that indicates that running in the heat can help you run faster.

See this blog post for more info:

To Run Faster, Learn to Love the Heat

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

• ORcoastrunner Pro 83 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011

For zharleygirl and anyone wanting to escape the heat, check out http://www.prefontainerun.com/runinfo2.html  Steve Prefontaine is our hometown hero, and the Prefontaine Memorial 10K is the biggest race event in town.  For those of you who have been training in the heat all summer, this will be a walk in the park!  Or, if you like to run trails, there is the Sunset Bay Trail run on Labor Day weekend.  In August, we have a 30 (or 10K 3 person relay) called Circle the Bay.  See the South Coast Running Club calendar of events here: http://southcoastrunningclub.com/id3.htm

I am new to running, and haven't yet done any trail running, although I have done some hiking around home.  There are amazing trails out here, many with spectacular views of the ocean.  So, while I probably couldn't put you all up on my couch , I would encourage you to check out the coast!

My hat is off to all of you running in the heat and humidity!

I may not be good, but I'm slow!

May 29, 2011

FABULOUS! One day! I will have to find a "couch" out your way...and just go on an adventure!

Another heat tip...I just ordered a COOL VEST. You wet it and it's supposed to stay cool nearly all day. Will let you all know how it goes. I think it's going to hit 100+ here today...UGH!

I'm thinking go run somewhere with a pool, or a spring...get wet before....AND after!  Beach runners... the water is warrming up! Soon will feel like bathwater...but I guess it's still cooler than the outside temp. I do think the water has gotten into the 90s as well.

STAY COOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!

Sherrie St. James  

sherriestjames.com

• This IS my race pace Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007

Just as a by-the-way:  this month's Running Times magazine has a lot of different articles about training in the heat, and they are all pretty good.  One of the articles mentions the "heat and humidity" axiom and states there is a third variable which is dew point and makes the arguement that dewpoint and not humidity is the main driving factor in running comfort.  Where humidity is the amount of water in the air, dew point is the temperature where water starts to evaporate.  The higher the dew point, the slower the evaporation and therefore, the cooling process.  I'm not one of the smart guys so don't expect me to be able to explain it well, but I highly recommend picking up this month's edition if you don't already get it.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,167 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009

Good point, TIMRP. I remember lining up at one of those 5ks I would  describe as "stinking hot." The dew was condensing on our warmed up  bodies around 8am. What a sticky mess that was. Will check out the  articles..

Thanks again for your sense of humor. Too  many of the really good athletes I know have almost no sense of humor,  and I can't imagine that it's good for them, no matter how fast they are  now. My goal is to stay loose, and just serious enough that someday, at  the age of 100, I can stand elbow to elbow with the young guys right  behind the starting line, look them in the eye, and say "don't get too  cocky, pal. I came to collect the tall hardware."

• jsimms435 Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 8, 2012

Most of the time when I run outside I run a 1.25 mile loop around the neighborhood.  I leave water bottles by the mailbox so I can get some water each time by.  I will also wash down my hat with the water hose if I am really hot.

• justamaniac Legend 208 posts since
    May 30, 2007

When it's hot out, I figure that there is really no way to really stay cool - so being in FL I just learn how to cope with it.  I run slow and I run with a floppy hat (that after having various things off my head removed my dertmatologist suggested that perhaps I should not run with a standard ball cap).  If I'm running long (ish) I'll bring a camel back loaded mostly with ice and I'll sip water every 1/2 mile or so to stay hydrated. I also bring a small rag or bandana kind of thing that I'll soak with my ice water and stuff under my hat or wipe my face with (I have to tell you that it feels great!). Aside from that, I try to run routes that have shade.

The crazy part is that while you would think that it is easier (better) to run early in the AM, it's actually harder.  Right around sunrise the dew point (and therefore the humidity) is screaming up and the air can be very thick and heavy. Sometimes I'm in a full sweat before the first mile is done.  Then to make matters worse, as soon as the sun starts popping over the trees the solar radiation just makes it even more fun. What makes it crazy is that if I wait until around 9:30/10 AM, all of a sudden the humidity takes a dive - yeah it's still hot out and getting warmer, but with less humidity the running is a lot more pleasureable.  So when I can run later in the day, I've taken to watching the dew point and waiting for it to start it's downward trend before heading out.

my 2cents

-bill

http://runningthrutime.blogspot.com

(what do I know...? I'm just getting old..)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...