Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2105 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2011 2:29 PM by patrick250 RSS
Ecboyd Amateur 15 posts since
May 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 13, 2011 9:03 AM

Knees KNees, OMG my Knees

So, Started running about ...well I guess nearly a year ago.

Nothing serious, bought some shoes, could run about 1 mile at a distance.

Was starting to train in earnest and plan for my fist 1/2 and in Feb my knee started HURTING... I have a high pain tolerance but OMG...

Soprts Dr said...

Stop running for 4 weeks, Walk only for 4 weeks and cross train.

Hubby raliseding I was "hobbled" elected to start running (now that Im back at the strating point).

So here we are 3 months later, started adding a tinely bit of running to the walking and Damned if my Knee does not hurt again...

I paid for my first 1/2, its in Jan...

IM SO Willing to do this, What teh HECK do I do about the Knee,

Just suck it up and run anyway... ?

HELP!?!?

Beth

• StickingToIt Expert 43 posts since
    Jun 2, 2011
    2. Jun 13, 2011 10:06 AM (in response to Ecboyd)
    Re: Knees KNees, OMG my Knees

Beth,

Have you though about doing physical therapy? My husband has been having knee problems for the past 3 years or so and finally went to see the doctor last week. He has to go to PT twice a week for 6 week. He has bone spurs which are somehow related to arthritis! Crazy at 37! Anyway, he was told no running for at least 6 weeks. He also has some type of ointment that helps the pain...has to put it on 4 times a day.

A second thought is your shoes. I did the 3 day in 2007 and had this one pair of shoes that KILLED my knees, but another that I had no knee problems at all when I wore them. It was strange. But the evil shoes made it so I couldn't walk for a couple of days if I wore them to walk any distance, my knee would swell and hurt...OMG! I think it didn't support the way I turned my foot and torqued my knee when I would walk. So, check that out too.

I know it stinks to hurt, especially when you have committed to doing a 1/2 in Feb, but better to solve the problem now and delay training a bit. Otherwise you could really tear your knees up! Good luck!

“They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.” - Andy Warhol

Upcoming Events

9/18/11 - The Iron Horse 15K & The 5K Express -  REGISTERED!!!

• Katie21784 Pro 128 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    3. Jun 13, 2011 11:03 AM (in response to Ecboyd)

Did the Dr. give any diagnosis or indication as to what was causing the pain?  I've dealt with knee problems my entire life, mostly stretched/torn MCL's.  Physical Therapy definitely helps as it helps to strengthen the muscles and ligaments in the knee, but it all depends on what is wrong as to which exercises you need to do and whether or not that would help.  I've also had shoes that caused me to half more of a heel strike instead of midfoot strike and this wreaked havoc on my knees when trying to run.  I prefer minimalist shoes which allow you to run more naturally running with a midfoot strike.  There are still times when my knees start hurting whether it be from overuse, weather related, etc. and I have to run with my knee brace on.  The one I have that I run in is similar to this:  http://www.gobros.com/gc/customer/product.php?productid=1995  It's hard to offer much advice suggestions not knowing where you knee is hurting, whether it's a sharp or dull pain, etc.  I would definitely recommend listening to your Dr, and if the previous one you went to didn't give you any kind of diagnosis, but just told you to take it easy for a few weeks, I'd probably see about going to a different Dr. that actually offers a diagnosis.  Another thing that is good to do is ice your knee for 15 minutes when you get in from a run.  Hope the pain gets better for you soon.

OH! I would not just suck it up and run anyway as you could cause more damage.  It might be a little different if this is a dull pain, but you said you have a high pain tolerance and it's really bothering you so I'm assuming it's more of a sharp pain, which is definitely more of an indication of you doing damage, especially if you try to push through and keep running through the pain!  I understand with the 1/2 coming up, but you definitely don't want to put yourself out of running forever!

Follow me on Twitter: @KatieRUNning

Race Results

6/4/11 - Salvation Army Dash From Disaster 2 Mile Run - 18:55.5

6/25/11 - Tomato Festival 5K - 28:15

7/4/11 - The Great Commission 4 Miler - 37:30 (2nd place in my age group)

7/9/11 - Swinging Bridge 5K - 31:12

7/16/11 - Hit The Bricks 5K - 28:36

8/6/11 - Run For The Son 5K

Find me and follow my training on www.mapmyfitness.com by searching for katie21784@gmail.com

• Katie21784 Pro 128 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    5. Jun 14, 2011 12:08 PM (in response to Ecboyd)

Can you run on a treadmill or an actual walking trail somewhere?  I know my hips get out of align and start bothering me if I run on the street for too long due to it being angled so the water can run off.  My chiropractor yells at me every time I've done more of my running on the streets because it gets me so out of align haha.  Thankfully we have a multi-purpose trail here that I usually run on and it's level so it doesn't bother me as bad when I run on it.  Just thoughts if the Dr seems to think it's due to the streets having a bank to them instead of being flat.

Follow me on Twitter: @KatieRUNning

Race Results

6/4/11 - Salvation Army Dash From Disaster 2 Mile Run - 18:55.5

6/25/11 - Tomato Festival 5K - 28:15

7/4/11 - The Great Commission 4 Miler - 37:30 (2nd place in my age group)

7/9/11 - Swinging Bridge 5K - 31:12

7/16/11 - Hit The Bricks 5K - 28:36

8/6/11 - Run For The Son 5K

Find me and follow my training on www.mapmyfitness.com by searching for katie21784@gmail.com

• krissiekay Amateur 20 posts since
    Apr 10, 2011
    6. Jun 14, 2011 5:56 PM (in response to Ecboyd)

I was having some knee pain in my right knee.  It was not runner's knee but related to pes anserinus tendinitis.  I went to the doctor to be sure I didn't have runners knee.  His advice to me was to ice my knee and take some anti-inflammatories.  Well, I took his advice and the pain still continued. It finally went away when I signed up for a running class and had my running coach take a look at my form.  Turns out I was landing my footfalls on my right leg with my foot pointed out slightly.  By focusing on keeping my footfalls straight ahead, my knee pain went away in a short period of time.  No more ice and no more swallowing of two Aleves twice a day.

Now, I don't know what is going on with your knees, but it might be helpful to have someone take a look at your stride/form and see if there is something you are doing that may be contributing to the knee pain.  Better to fix the underlying issue than deal with the symptoms.

Hang in there!

Kristi

• John425 Pro 184 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    8. Jun 16, 2011 1:20 AM (in response to Ecboyd)

When my knees figured out this running thing wasn't just a short term deal they began to rebell like, well, they hurt.  Having stomped all over this pretty blue marble for the better part of sixty some odd years I figured they had a right to yell and just kept running.  After awhile I knew I had to do something so I went to a local outlet of a vitamin chain and they suggested something with Glucosamine, Condroitin, and MSM, whatever that is.  I took the stuff for a month and my knee pain stopped so I stopped taking the expensive stuff.  It didn't take long for my knees to begin punishing me again so I went back on the big beige pills.  I've been taking them for months now and these 63 year old knees give me absolutely no problems whatsoever.  I met some running friends for an after race bash a couple months ago, one was 20 years my junior and the other half my age.  I asked if they took anything for joints and was surprised when both said they took Glucosamine and Condroitin.  And the older of the two even said he added fish oil.  I don't know how many of the forum members take supplements but I figure I'm doing something really stressful to my body that most folks don't do so maybe I need a little protection.  Not suggesting, you have to make your own decisions, just sayin'.

• patrick250 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 7, 2009
    10. Jun 21, 2011 2:29 PM (in response to Ecboyd)

Google Chi running, trust me it's the only way

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...