Skip navigation

34551 Views 106 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2012 9:59 AM by LadyGreyDoom RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next
  • susan-n-the black dog Legend 425 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Apr 16, 2011 9:05 AM (in response to Steve Bralla)
    Re: Any 200+lb walkers out there?

Steve,

I hope you don't mind but I used your words and printed them on a tee shirt!  I love them..

I can't come in last because I am ahead of those who didn't start!

LOVE IT

Susan in CA
    Brazen Racing Bear Creek 10k Aug 09
    Brazen Racing Rocky Ridge 10k Oct 09
    Brazen's Turkey Trot 10k Nov 09
    Walked the Golden Gate Bridge - too cool!

Monterey Big Sur Internationl Half Marathon.(10mile walk)

Brazen's New Years 10k Jan 10

Brazen's Bear Creek 10k MUD FEST Jan 10

Finally, back out on the trails!

Blossom Trail 10k March 2011

Miracle Miles for Kids - May 2011

Brian Waterbury Memorial Rock to the Pier 10k - July 2011 Happy Birthday to me!

So many miles...so little time...

I did it - I signed up for Big Sur - April 2012

Unless you faint, puke or die...keep walking - Jillian Michaels

• soxchick08 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 17, 2010
    91. Apr 24, 2011 5:27 PM (in response to lcunningham8332)

Hi there!!

I am a 200+ walker. I have actually signed up to do the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer 3-Day for the cure walk this coming July. It's 60 miles 20 miles a day for 3 days. I have been training by walking everyday for no less than 3 miles a day. In the past I have walked the Jimmy Fund Walk in Boston twice. This walk is 26.2 miles, the entire route of the Boston marathon. As long as you are keeping moving your body will get used to the distance.

• Steve Bralla Amateur 23 posts since
    Feb 10, 2009
    92. Apr 24, 2011 8:20 PM (in response to susan-n-the black dog)

Susan,

Mind?  I think it's great!

Steve

• KelliHW Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 14, 2011
    93. May 30, 2011 2:14 AM (in response to skatinrn)

So, I'm a bit behind in my updating to this post. I did the 5k I was training for and finished better than my goal time. My goal was 1 hour, 30 minutes. I finished (depending on if you're going by their clock or the timestamps on my camera) in either 1:27 by their time or 1:25 if you're going by the time stamps on my phone. So, needless to say, I was SUPER EXCITED!!! Again, my goal wasn't to medal or to place. I just wanted to finish. I wasn't the last to finish and certainly wasn't the first, but I was well behind the crowd. It ended up being COLD AND RAINY that day, but I was determined to not let it get me down. I was going to do this race and I was going to finish it.

So, now that I've finished one 5k, I'm working on a 2nd. I know I can do it. I want to try to finish in under an hour. My trainer has moved me to an elliptical trainer and I'm getting faster and stronger. It might be do-able. Although, really, I'd just like to finish in a much shorter time than the first 5k. I think I have a new addiction.

I've also discovered that as I've gotten faster that there is a little, skinny runner in me trying her best to push her way out. I want to see who she is and meet her. I'm itching to run, but right now, my trainer wants me to concentrate on getting in more distance versus getting faster. I want to go faster, stronger, farther though. I think I've been bitten by the running bug...

• hlgrimmett Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 14, 2011
    94. May 30, 2011 8:29 AM (in response to KelliHW)

YAY Kelli!  Good for you!     I just got an email that our local Komen 5K is finally taking registrations.  Soon as DH gets paid next Friday, I am signing up for ours in October as motivation to get myself out there and do it.   

Holly in west Central Florida.

... I may be slow, but I'm still lapping everyone on the couch!

Jun 11, 2009
    95. May 30, 2011 9:51 AM (in response to KelliHW)

Good job Kelli!

There is a skinny runner in me too but I keep her sedated with chocolate or wine.  LOL

Listen to your trainer.  Sign up for your next 5k and work towards a 10k.  Whatever you do...enjoy it!  Have fun and keep putting one foot in front of the other!

Susan in CA

• PRRUM Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    96. May 31, 2011 11:39 AM (in response to lcunningham8332)

Hi, Im at 236lbs and just started to walk from having spent the last +/- 15 years couch potatoing it!  I did my 1st 5K (walked it) this last April and finished at 1:06.  Im getting ready to do my 2nd one this June 25th!  Im not a runner (I had an accident it 1979 and broke my neck- Im fused at C-6/C-7) but Im learning to walk kinda fast!!  Hope to talk to you soon!

• runforfun202 Amateur 8 posts since
    Jun 13, 2011
    97. Jun 13, 2011 3:29 PM (in response to lcunningham8332)

Congrats, thats amazing work. I started out as a 200+lb walker and I combined a lot of my walking with pool exercises as joint pain was a big issue for me. Swimming can be a great supplement, but its not always the most convienent activity. Best of luck to all!

Fitness advisor for SmoothFitness.com.

• JoviGirl22 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 17, 2011
    98. Jun 17, 2011 8:32 AM (in response to lcunningham8332)

Hey all!  I am very proud to say I have just gotten into the 200's- 299 to be exact! I have lost 40 pounds since January and have really taken to my walking. I finished my first 5K a few weeks back (The Bronx Zoo Run for the Wild) and I am signed up to do the Cosme Coney Island walk on June 26th. All of your stories as so inspiring- thank you for sharing!!

• Cindy75966 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 21, 2009
    99. Jun 17, 2011 10:24 AM (in response to JoviGirl22)

Heh that is awesome.  I"m 200+ and have been for several years.  Gained a lot of weight before I got my sleep apnea under control.  Then never lost it but I"m slowly working on it.  I did a Weight Watchers 5 K a month ago and now I"m doing a Congenital Heart Walk on Saturday in 100+ degrees, it is damn HOT here in Austin Texas!  The cool part bout the Congenital Heart Walks around the country is that we have people of all abilities, and if you can only start with a 1K and then next year a 2K etc.  It is a success!  So keep walking active buddies!

• DanaBaran Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 25, 2011
    100. Jun 22, 2011 11:45 AM (in response to lcunningham8332)

I haven't posted in a while but I wanted to give everyone an update.  I did not make my walk in May.    Two days before the walk I was diagnosed with bronchitis.  I could barely walk to the car from the doctor's office.  There was no way I was walking 5K.  So I recovered and began walking 2 weeks later.  I quickly started walking just over a mile each day.  Then we were hit with nasty thunderstorms and extreme heat.  I used the weather as an excuse not to walk.  I did substitute some of the walking  by using the steps at work every day.  I work on the 5th floor.  The first time I tried to walk up the steps, I only made it 2 flights and I had to take the elevator.  I now climb the steps 5-6 times a day.  I even started using the restroom on lower floors to get the extra exercise.  Some days are harder than other.  But I am determined I will still do my 5K walk.  I have another scheduled for August.  I could not find any in my area until then.  Then my big walk will be Oct 2.  I am doing the Step out for Diabetes.

Wishing all of you luck in your walking....

Dana

• SandiD Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 29, 2008
    101. Jul 24, 2011 2:37 PM (in response to lcunningham8332)

Hello!

I am new on this board, but wanted to say HEY! to all the other 200+ walkers.

I am 45, 250 lbs, and I have been walking for two weeks after 13 years of basically nothing. Before that, I was a cyclist in high school and college, then got a "real job" answering 9-1-1 and that's when my inactivity started. I started dancing 4-6 hours a night, 3 nights a week back then, to keep the weight off, but marriage and kids...you know how that goes.

So here I am. I joined the summer session of BoiseRunWalk (so completely awesome!) and I'm doing my first 5K in 5 years at the end of September! I'm stoked!

Frankly, I am flabbergasted by how much I look foward to my walks! On Saturdays I am currently walking 2 miles (increasing that number every couple of weeks, the goal is a 10K) and 3 days a week I do up to 30 mins. Right now, I'm not pushing, because those nasty shin splints can kill ya, and I'm doing a 19 minute mile. Yesterday I "jogged" for the first time. I previously started the C25K program (which is also great) but I need more accountability, AND my running group has two massage therapist show up after and that has really been a help to me (and the icing on the cake!).

I have never been a runner, and I had the typical "I hate to run" experience in Jr. high and high school. But now, I can see the attraction...which so floors me! ME? RUN? Have you met me?

I am really excited about reading more on here, but I just read this whole thread and you are all wonderfully inspiring!

Sandi

• runforlife1227 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 20, 2009
    102. Sep 15, 2011 8:07 AM (in response to lcunningham8332)
    Any 200+lb walkers out there?

Hello

I'm 19 years old, and have had a weight struggle for the past 3 or 4 years. I've gone 85 lbs each way up and down and have gone from finishing a marathon distance at 275lbs to running a half marathon at 205lbs in January of 2010. I now weigh around 295 and have recently started walking again. My body doesn't always like me for it, but my well being and sense of good spirits is thanking me every day. Its is never to be big and exercise, but keep your nose to the grindstone and know you always have a dedicated community to lean on!

Jun 11, 2009
    103. Sep 17, 2011 10:41 AM (in response to runforlife1227)

Hi Guys,

I'm struggling too!  Likely always will.  But I just did one crazy thing...I just signed up for the 10.6 portion of Big Sur for April 2012.  That gives me 7 months to lose 45 pounds and get my act together.  I've done it before...I'll do it again! 

Hang in there!

susan

Susan in CA

• LadyGreyDoom Rookie 2 posts since
    May 25, 2012

Hey Susan, how did you do at Big Sur?!?   

I'm a 200+ lb walker, been at it for almost 4 months now and just crossed the 100 mile mark! 

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...