Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2373 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2011 7:58 PM by mkayc RSS
mkayc Legend 582 posts since
Jun 8, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 12, 2011 4:03 PM

50 and over - problems working the C25k?

I see a lot in the other thread of 50 and over but am starting a new one because my problems are getting through the program as fast as it expects me. I don't know if this is related to age or just my sedentary lifestyly and I would have had the same issues at 40. At w3d1 when the time went to 3 min, I thought I would die. It took me two weeks to finish one run exactly as it was supposed to be but I finally did it. Then w4d1 I had to run 5 min? Twice? with two 3 min runs? Well, guess what? I am really on w4d5 and had not run it once yet. I could not catch my breath and the weather was so humid. Finally we got a break in the weather and today, even though I ran yesterday, I went out and mastered that damn 5 min run. Three times!!! and, 3 min is no longer a problem, of course. So now my question: does any of this sound familiar? My muscle paid is nothing compared to my breathing difficulty in the humidity. Any suggestions?

Mary Kay (62)

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    1. Jun 12, 2011 5:29 PM (in response to mkayc)
    Re: 50 and over - problems working the C25k?

Mary Kay, you are not alone. Others have had similar challenges in getting through c25k as stated.  Don't worry, if it takes you twice as long, no big deal.  The key is getting through it and keeping up the running.  Run slow.   You don't have to do 10 minute miles!  Just like you said, the first time you ran 3 minutes, it was hard, but now you can do it.  The same will happen with 5 minutes, and 20 minutes and even more. You will amaze yourself how far you have come in a few short weeks.  The heat and humidity do make running more difficult, but stay hydrated by having a drink of water before you head out for your run. Try to breath deeply vs. shallow breaths.  Wear a hat to keep the sun off your head. Try to run in the cool or the morning or on a shady route.  Stay consistant, try to not miss more than 2 days in a row.

A little funny story about breathing:  last  Tuesday just as I finished my speed run, I was walking past these two guys  preping a boat  to put in the water.  I didn't even see them. One asked "are you ok?" I didn't respond, so he asked again...."lady, are you ok?" I realized he was talking to me. "yeah, I'm fine, just sound like I'm dying....60 year old women who get out here and run like this in this heat are teched in the head, but just in case that I keel over, do you know CPR?"  We all had a good laugh. I realized that my breathing did sound like I was dying, but I really was exhillerated.

Keep up the good work and come on over to the over 50 thread.  We are a supportive group.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• FLkayakgrl Pro 60 posts since
    Feb 18, 2011
    2. Jun 12, 2011 5:51 PM (in response to mkayc)

I'm no expert, but I would suggest slowing down your pace if you are struggling.  That is what I found when I was starting.  Slow down your pace to a slow jog until you keep going for the time.  When you find the pace you can handle, you can work to improve from there.  When you are just starting out, keep the pace slow and just keep moving forward!  Your winning just by trying!  Congratulations and welcome to the Penguin Club!

Age 52

Started C25K Feb 2011

Graduated C25K (time) April 2011

Run for the Arts 5k - 5/7/2011 Lake Worth FL, 44:08 pace 14:14....not last!

Stress fracture

Holiday Fantasy of Lights 5k- Coconut Creek FL 11/12/2011

PB United Way Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/2011 - 42.48 pace 13.48 - 19 of 30 in age group

• LoriKre Pro 83 posts since
    May 16, 2011
    3. Jun 12, 2011 6:16 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay,

I started C25K on May 16th.  I'll be 50 in December and I'm struggling the same as you are.  I read the other over 50 threads and was very intimidated.  I'm so far behind all of them I feel foolish.  I don't think I'll ever be able to get to the point they are at.  Any way, I did see my doctor and I have exercise induced asthma.  I now use an inhaler before I go for my run.  I am still struggling, but it is getting easier.  I finished W3D3 today and I'm not sure if I'm going to repeat it or not.  I can barely get through the 3 min runs, I  can't imagine going for 5 minutes.

Good Luck and don't give up.

Lori

C25K Started 5-16-11 quit due to injury. Re-starting C25K 6-4-12

1st 5K - 7-30-11 Completed-4H 5K-Brown County Fairgrounds-49:36-walked with some jogs added in

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    6. Jun 12, 2011 8:50 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay, I don't know if I would advise you to run tomorrow or not. 3 days in a row could be a prescription for injury, esp. due to "our maturity".  You might try it, but if you start feeling any pain, back off and rest a day. My brother in law has run every single day for 9 years!  He normally runs about 3  miles and he is 65.  I wouldn't advise following in his footsteps.

I started c25k in Nov. 2009, did fine until the summer. Then I started pushing a bit too hard, upped my mileage too fast, raced a cpl of races and developed a hip stress fracture.  That put me out of running from August until November. So in Nov. 2010, I started c25k all over again.  It seemed harder the second go around, but I stayed w/ it and now am doing better than before. Since the injury, I am very careful to avoid over training.  I run 4 days per week, and no more than 2 in a row. FWIW.

I understand your feelings about the big treads being overwhelming.  You've got a nucleus started here.  Keep it going and you will have a good thread. Supporting one another is a tremendous help to staying motivated..

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

May 16, 2011
    8. Jun 13, 2011 7:00 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay,

I'm also in the Cincinnati area.  I live about 50 miles east of Cinti along the river.  I work on the east side Withiamsville/Anderson area.  Maybe when we're finished with the program, we'll be able to run a race together.  I spoke with my doctor and alot of my problems breathing are coming from asthma and allergies (both of which I didn't even know I had).  I think the more I get into shape the better my breathing will become.  Each week gets easier for me as I look back.  It's just a hugh struggle, but I can't expect this to be easy.  It took 30 years of sitting on the couch and being a smoker, to get into this shape.  And I'm sure it's going to take more than 9 weeks to correct the bad habits.  I hope to lose about 20 to 25 lbs from the running and just be in better shape.  Now, I can't even walk to the boat and back to the house without huffing and puffing, so it's bound to get better.

1st 5K - 7-30-11 Completed-4H 5K-Brown County Fairgrounds-49:36-walked with some jogs added in

May 16, 2011
    10. Jun 15, 2011 7:15 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary, Kay

Glad to hear the inhaler helped.  It really has made a difference for me.  I did quit smoking, it's been over 2 years ago now.  I put on about 40 lbs, I've lost a bit, but could still lose about 30 lbs.  I'll settle for losing any.

Congrats on finishing week 4, I completed W4D1 today and was totally shocked that I could do it fairly easy.  I struggled so much with the 3 minute runs last week, I would have never dreamt today would go so well.  I'm sure the cooler weather had alot to do with it.  I even ended the final 5 minute run with an extra minute to boot.

You cracked me up with the menopausal weather,  I'm struggling with that internally and you're right, externally as well.  I never thought about it like that.  Soooo funny...

I'm in a thread group "Starting C25K tomorrow 16th May - anyone joining me?".  Please come and join it.  Some are a week ahead of me, some a week behind me, and some with me.  We also have a few that are injured.  It's not a large group, maybe 6 or 8 of us left.  We keep each other posted on our status and help support each other.  We'd love to have you join the group.

Talk to you soon.

Lori

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points