Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

957 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2011 1:57 PM by BradW44 RSS
WendyFry Rookie 3 posts since
Apr 17, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 14, 2011 3:06 PM

Motivation

I started running several months ago and I'm signed up for my first half in Oct and full in Nov... My training was going really well until two weeks ago when I got a terrible stomach virus.  I took a week off of running to recover, but ever since my runs feel so hard.  I usually get to some sort of euphoric state around the 2nd-3rd mile, but I can't even make it that far without feeling weak, cramped, dehydrated, and like a failure.  I know better than to jump right back into my training calendar, but I feel like I should be a little better off than this.  I used to be able to run 6 miles in the heat with no problem!  I'm really starting to doubt my decision to do these races.  Anyone have some advice for getting back into the swing?

• seanfry8 Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    1. Jun 14, 2011 9:29 PM (in response to WendyFry)
    Re: Motivation

Some suggestions:

run with friends,

listen to music?

Learn how to run faster - http://www.runfaster360.com

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    2. Jun 16, 2011 1:57 PM (in response to WendyFry)
    Re: Motivation

Wendy, take a deep breath!  Everything will be fine, dont give up!  First I think you should consider that you might still be fighting off the stomach virus or you may have something more than you thought.  If you continue to feel sluggish, go get some blood tests to make sure there isnt something else going on.  Dont expect that you will just jump right back into your program.  Often times you need to backup by a week or two and repeat those workouts.  Assuming you are healthy and your body is ready to go, start by creating some good runs for yourself.  For example, go run an easy mile and get in a good stretch.  Take it easy and start building back up.  Throw in some cross training like cycling or the ellipticial.  Have fun and dont take it too seriously.  Dont put too much pressure on your self, you have time!   Dont forget this is supposed to be fun.  Keep in mind if you push the envelope too much, you will end up injured and thats the worst case scenario.  So dont give up, just relax and go slow and have some fun.  Keep me posted and good luck!

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...