Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6089 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2011 9:17 AM by lbonney Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • djsturtevant Amateur 16 posts since
    May 23, 2010

Just this morning I was running in my neighborhood and a cat pranced over and wanted to show me the chipmunk it has just killed.  He was so proud of himself, jutting his chin up at me with the little chipmunk hanging there limply. I congratulated him and kept on going.

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

When they dress like Urkel and don't wear underwear

• redrunner32 Pro 151 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010

a dead cat and a dead possum

i watched the possum get flatter and smaller over a period of weeks... soooooooo nasty!

the cat looked like someone hit it and then moved it up onto the MIDDLE of the walking path - I guess to make sure the owner saw it.  It was only there for a very short time, thank goodness.

• iRunforSue121457 Amateur 10 posts since
    Mar 24, 2011

My son and I actually did come across a human body while out on a run one day.  He was sprawled across the sidewalk portion of a bridge.  We got close enough to see he was still breathing and called 911.  Been an ER nurse long enough to know he was just probably passed out from a late night party (young, disheveled, no visible injuries, etc.)  By the time EMS arrived he was up and staggering...confused etc.  We let EMS handle it and we continued on our run.  Now, when I run alone I carry a light weight loaded .38.  I would have to say this was the most disturbing of the dead animals, live snakes, carcasses, sweaty bodies etc I've ever encountered.  Still running....because I run for those who can't.

• StickingToIt Expert 43 posts since
    Jun 2, 2011

Okay, I almost stepped on a used condom on the road this morning. I don't know if I was more disturbed that it was on the road (in a neighborhood, 1/2 a block from my house) or the idea of how it might have gotten there! EWWWW!

“They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.” - Andy Warhol

Upcoming Events

9/18/11 - The Iron Horse 15K & The 5K Express -  REGISTERED!!!

• dogdoc14 Amateur 21 posts since
    Jun 10, 2011

I'm out in the country, running on dirt roads with little traffic.  There is a dead dog about 1/2 mile into my run that has been there for WEEKS.  It smells awful, but is finally getting better (as in decomposed enough it's almost gone).  I keep begging my husband to go over there with the tractor and move it, but to no avail.  My dog is my running partner, and she has a lot of trouble staying with me at that spot because she is just dying to explore that "wonderful" odor!

Out with a knee injury, if I have a perfect recovery, I'll be able to run the Prairie Fire.

Planned Races:

Prairie Fire Mayor's 5k Challenge ~ 10/9/11 ~ Registered

5K Wagathon ~ 10/22/11 ~ hoping my lazy dog will run with me

• shannondynamic Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 14, 2011

I have allergies, but I still run outdoors, and sometimes I just gotta spit the phlegm out, butttttt, I spit it in the grass away from the track even though I hate to actually stop running and do that. Fortunately, I run in the mornings, and the track is pretty empty. The grossest thing I've seen is very large piles of dog crap in the middle of the track, and the other day there was a dead frog. I almost squished it, but seen it just in time, so I moved the poor thing with a stick into the grass. I've never had anything thrown at me, but I have had nasty comments hollered at me.

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

I'm guilty of spitting and snot rockets too.  I think the grossest would be a pooflinger - a runner who didn't make it or didn't want to stop at the port-a-potty.  I've never seen one, but my friends who have watched some of my races have seen them.  Apparently its very noticable if you are wearing pink shorts.

• SingingPilgrim Expert 56 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011

Today I saw a rusty knife and an empty beer bottle within four feet of each other on the side of the road and thought "I sure hope they weren't used together!"

I've also seen run over squirrels and possums and cats and such.  Oh, and once a pair of underwear!

Visit my blogs!

Health and Fitness: http://meaningfulactivity.blogspot.com/

Lifestyle blog: www.thesongsontheway.com

"No discipline seems enjoyable at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it yields the fruit of peace and righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Therefore strengthen your tired hands and weakened knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be dislocated,but healed instead." -Hebrews 12:11-13

• crl8686 Legend 1,306 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007

A dead skunk. Probably had been hit by a car. Actually I smelled it before I saw it. ICK.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Coronado Independence Day 5K, Coronado, CA, 24:36

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• reddolp50 Legend 461 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011

Running through a border state corridor with bridges, the homeless tend to live under the bridge supports.  Last Sunday I came across a homeless person sleeping under the bridge support on a little 3x5 coffee table he had drug up from somewhere and was sound sound alseep.  He had his 12 pack behind him wedged up to the support beam held in place with his back.....and all the previous cans scattered on the ground in front of him.  This was at 9:00 a.m. - at the entrance to the bike path as well and at 1:00 he was still there when I came back on my bike....and finished my ride at 3:00 - still sleeping like a baby with the beer firmly in place.  He was alive as his color was very pink.  

Other than that, the random shoe, glove, etc.

Penguins Rule, Penguin On, Penguin UP!

Don't Put That Crap in Your Mouth There is no finish line.....Nike Advertisement

10/29/11 5k Chocolate Beano 42.52

• 64spokes Pro 60 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009

Such scenes are not unique to border states.

• lbonney Rookie 21 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

There is always road kill on my runs.  this weeks carnage - 2 flattened turtles..

• dogdoc14 Amateur 21 posts since
    Jun 10, 2011

I accidentally contributed to my nasty things I see.  I ran over a turtle on my way to work this morning, which I'm sure will be ripe by my run tomorrow!

Out with a knee injury, if I have a perfect recovery, I'll be able to run the Prairie Fire.

Planned Races:

Prairie Fire Mayor's 5k Challenge ~ 10/9/11 ~ Registered

5K Wagathon ~ 10/22/11 ~ hoping my lazy dog will run with me

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...