Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3908 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2011 10:54 AM by njnitehawk RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • seanfry8 Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 8, 2011 1:12 PM (in response to njnitehawk)
    Re: need a plan to lower my time

I recommend incorporating some speed training into your regimen, here's a good article on speed training: http://runfaster360.com/speed-training/

Learn how to run faster - http://www.runfaster360.com

• walkerof3 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 9, 2011
    16. Jun 9, 2011 5:10 PM (in response to njnitehawk)

This won't be what you want to hear, but running fast/speed leads to injuries plain and simple.  Dr. Ted Corbitt was the father of American long distance running and he said if you want to run for life, LSD, long, slow, distance.  That does not mean runners can never compete or race, but especially getting older (I turn 60 on July 16th), we need to really determine how serious we want to be.  Best wishes.

Run with patience the race set b4 us
  • Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009
    18. Jun 11, 2011 8:13 AM (in response to njnitehawk)

Just a few more things to consider. How is your weight? if your carrying ten or even five extra pounds it will adversly effect your time. Especially on a long race. Do you have the right shoes? have you been properly fitted for shoe? A good shoe fit can effect your injury situation.  I don't really subscibe to the LSD aproach. I started doing one long run a week (8.25 miles today)  which I ran at a brisk 8:03 pace. Enough to be a challenge but not as taxing as a race pace. I also do three five mile runs/ week , one six mile trail run and a club track workout. The speed workouts are best in a group format (most local running clubs offer one).  The big benefit of the speed workout is getting your body used to running at a faster pace. Also make sure you do a lot of core work. I do 100 situps and 50 pushups daily.-Bill

• Indiana Lady Mustangs Expert 59 posts since
    Aug 6, 2010
    20. Jun 18, 2011 4:32 AM (in response to njnitehawk)

Have you ran hills with wieghts? Also run in country and every other telephone pole sprint, after you sprint to the next telephone pole return back to your pace.

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    21. Jun 18, 2011 6:52 AM (in response to njnitehawk)

Great job on your first track workout.  You should be able to safely add a 400 and an 100 each week.  I wouldn't do much more than 10 x 400, though.

The 400's will help you improve your time for shorter races, like the mile or 5K.

If you want to improve your time in longer races, like 10K or 1/2 marathon, you will probably want to move up to longer intervals, like 800's or 1000's.

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

• ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    22. Jun 18, 2011 7:08 AM (in response to njnitehawk)

Hi njnitehawk, I more or less ran my first half without having followed a specific training plan, but I'd say the same thing others have - look for a variety of different training plans and perhaps try something different. There are usually levels, a beginner one, an intermediate, and an advanced one. After running two halfs, you could probably do the advanced training plan but reduce your intensity if you have concerns about injuries.

As far as a strength training program, I don't know if this will help you or not but generally for runners, we just need something for cross training that includes core strengthening and some sort of weights for toning. I am not - or haven't been - good at doing any cross training activities BUT my friend introduced me to jazzercise and now I go to jazz almost daily. Other things could be subbed in for that, a circuit or sculpt (weights) class at the gym, strength training exercises on a wii fit, yoga or pilates, etc. Strength training actually refers to your whole body, but it doesn't require heavy weights or reps and sets to failure. You can use 5-8 lb dumbells, exercise bands, or just your own body weight. TRX classes are a great option if you have them in your area, they use your body weight and balance and definitely make you stronger.

Interval runs are just that - running intervals. Say you want to do a speed workout, on a track you'd run a comfortable lap or two and then run one at more of a sprint pace. I'm not sure what your pace is like, I'd probably aim for 1:40ish. Then I'd recover with a lap, then repeat. I've done most of my tempo runs on a treadmill with an incline, I'd say outside would be more fun lol. Pace runs are when you plan to do a workout at your typical race pace, so say you went out to run a 10K as a training run, you'd aim for your time to be roughly what you've clocked a 10K race at, or your best speed/pace to date. Good luck, there are a ton of knowledgeable runners here, I probably need to get back to reading too.

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

• ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    23. Jun 18, 2011 7:25 AM (in response to njnitehawk)

If you can get an armband for your phone, download an app called cardiotrainer. I run with mine and you can set it to show your pace or your speed, and it shows your current pace or speed on the display as well as your route, your total time, total steps, etc. The nice thing about it too is that it will show each mile's pace, so if I run 4 miles, it'll show 8:40, 9:02, 8:17, 8:15, etc as well as an average for the whole run. If I were running shorter distances, I don't know if I could look at the history and see that, but the current might help. I'm not great with pacing myself, without cardiotrainer I would have no idea how fast (or slow) I was going. I run faster outside than I do on a treadmill, it seems to take less effort. When I ran the first 5K back in March (I hadn't run a race in 18 years), I figured I could use my watch to gauge the time, yeah right. You ALWAYS run faster in a race than you do in training runs, adrenaline and the presence of other runners seem to always get me anyway. If you have an IDEA of your normal pace, then you can shave a few seconds off here and there by doing the intervals, maybe do some hill repeats too if you tend to experience hilly courses. Monster hills cause a lot of runners lost time, I cannot count how many people I see walking on hills in races. If you train on them, you know you can conquer them, and the idea of walking is never an option.

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...