Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1777 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2011 1:39 PM by pacificfit
Jamie Weston Rookie 4 posts since
Nov 1, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 2, 2011 5:50 AM

Thoughts on my hip injury?

I have been training for some time now without injury but unfortunately no more.  The other night I went out for a run in the dark and began running downhill against traffic (with my left hip lower than my right).  After about a mile my left hip began to hurt.  Well I ended up finishing my planned 6.5 mile run but my hip was killing me and continued to throb for another day or two.  I biked and swam without problems but when I tried to run again after a full week off I could only go for about 6 minutes.  I have a race coming up in 3 1/2 weeks (Philly OYL) and am very nervous about my ability to train or even race.  Any thoughts you could provide would be very much appreciated.  Thanks!

• BT.ROB Legend 271 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    1. Jun 2, 2011 1:31 PM (in response to Jamie Weston)
    Re: Thoughts on my hip injury?

I think you diagnosed the cause correctly, the left hip being lower than the right due to road curvature. Probably a strain in the IT band that wraps around the hip down the outside of the thigh then into the knee. You have tried some rest, try also specific stretching (various yoga positions help), use a foam roller or a "Stick" to self massage, and ice. Do this several times a day. One take-away from your experience is to be aware of road crowns and either balance running on both sides of the street or in some cases, down the middle. Ok, two lessons: when something hurts, stop. This is different than sore, pain is no gain. Take care and good luck.

BT

• drmiles85 Pro 84 posts since
    Nov 5, 2008
    3. Jun 3, 2011 7:53 AM (in response to BT.ROB)

IT Band injuries are incredibly common and can be incredibly painful. The tough part is that they can manifest themselves in so many ways - pretending to be knee, hip, or muscular injuries.  I'd second the suggestion for a foam roller - I love mine, even if it hurts. A lot. When I was training for my marathon last fall, I was using that thing at least twice a day.  I use it on my back (vertically and horizontally) and on the side of my leg, rolling all the way from hip to knee.

If you have any setbacks, see a doctor and make sure there isn't something really wrong.  Good luck - you should be fine in time for your race.

www.twitter.com/drmiles85

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    5. Jun 18, 2011 1:39 PM (in response to Jamie Weston)

As has already been recommended, I would certainly look into your IT band ( use http://www.bulletproofknee.com ), but I would also look into your hip flexor flexibility. If you have tight psoas, hip flexors, you tend to over use the external hip rotators and can get pain that feels like "hip socket" pain...

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...