Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3768 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2011 5:37 PM by Billiken on the Run RSS
Guy Grim Pro 61 posts since
Nov 14, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 12, 2011 5:20 AM

Water Bottles

Hiya Folks,

If I run a 3-5 miles, I usually do it without drinking anything during the run.  But, I am getting to the point in my running / training that I can run 8-11 miles and I would like to carry a water bottle or something in order to stay hydrated. 

What do you use?  I saw some bulky bottles with belts to carry them on in a national sports store, but was not completely sold on them.  Thanks for your thoughts.

ps. when do you drink? every mile?  every 3? 

Training

656 Total Miles Since November 15, 2010 - 35 Miles YTD (1/20/12)

PR

5K - 27:46 (07/24/2011)

20K - 01:59:39 (09/05/2011)

13.1M - 02:08:58 (08/07/2011)

26.2M - TBD in 2012

Recent Races

Orange, CT - 5K Chilly Chili Run - Time of 29:07 - 1/1/2012

TeamGrimmy.com

• protometal Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    1. Jun 12, 2011 5:50 AM (in response to Guy Grim)
    Re: Water Bottles

I had been thinking about getting a hydration belt for some time, but was not willing to spend $40 or $45 for one on the chance I didn't like it. Then I won a $40 gift certificate to a local running store and felt like I was playing with house money, so I picked one up. They carried the Amphipod brand and I got the Runlite belt with 4 - 8 oz bottles. I used it for the first time yesterday and liked it. It didn't feel like it was weighing me down, didn't feel bouncy and it had a little pouch for a phone, money, id, etc. The bottles snapped into place securly and were easy to remove and put back. Overall, I am very pleased with this. There is a company called Nathan that sells a similar product.

I plan to use the belt whenever I run over 5 miles or so or if it is extremely hot. I used two of the bottles during an 8.5 mile run yesterday, then finished off the other 2 when I was done. I like the smaller bottles as the weight is distrubuted evenly and, if you choose, you can fill a couple with water and a couple with a sport drink.

Protometal

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"-- Henry Ford

Upcoming races: Super 5k 2/3/13

Select Recent Results: Brooksie Way Half Marathon - 1:49:09 (Half Marathon PR), Open Door Julie Run 5k - 22:16 (2nd place age group, PR)

Check out my Running Blog: http://clippinalong.blogspot.com .

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    3. Jun 12, 2011 8:06 AM (in response to Guy Grim)

There are a wide range of hydration containers out there.  Here are a couple of blog posts that I wrote that might help you select the right one for you.

Are You a Heavy Sweater?

Hate Handheld Water Bottles?

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

• Billiken on the Run Pro 135 posts since
    Nov 28, 2007
    4. Jun 12, 2011 6:54 PM (in response to Guy Grim)

I use a Nathan handheld bottle (link below) occasionally. I don't have any complaints about it. It has a pocket that's big enough for a couple gels and keys. The strap is nice because you don't have to actually grip the bottle tightly.

I also have an Amphipod belt (an older model but similar the one in the link below). It's OK. It bounces around quite a bit and rides up around my waist. It also has a small pocket that'll hold about as much as the Nathan bottle. I think the new ones have elastic in the belt which might fix the bouncing/riding. I bought the handheld Nathan bottle to replace this Amphipod belt.

For long (20+ miles), hot or secluded trail runs I wear a Camelbak hydration pack. It's great but probably a bit much for what you're looking for.

I don't drink much when I run (or bike for that matter) but I usually just go by feel. I don't have a set schedule but I probably start drinking somewhere between miles 5-8 and take small drinks probably every 1-2 miles. For long runs I have some gel or a Clif Block with some water each 2 miles starting at mile 8. It seems to work for me. Of course, hotter weather gets me to drink a little more often.

http://www.nathansports.com/our-products/hydrationnutrition/handhelds/quickdraw-plus

http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydration/bottle-waistpacks/full-tilt-series/full-tilt

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs/2011-Octane-LR.aspx

Joe

• Brian D. Hock Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jun 16, 2011 5:32 AM (in response to Guy Grim)

Guy,

I just designed a new water bottle for runners called Simple Hydration - it's a water bottle that hooks to your waistband so that you don't need to carry water or need a bulky hydration belt. The other thing that is cool is that it can simply transform a race belt (like a Spibelt) into a hydration belt by simply hooking the bottle to it. You can check out the video and read more about it on www.simplehydration.com. Hope you check it out.

Good luck with your running.

- Brian

Attachments:

A runner that created the Simple Hydration Water Bottle just for runners - the water bottle that simply hooks to your waistband or race belt. I love running and Ironman  triathlons.

http://www.simplehydration.com

• Helen Lanthier Amateur 13 posts since
    May 29, 2010
    6. Jun 19, 2011 3:20 AM (in response to Guy Grim)

I use a "Fuel Belt" with 4 8-oz bottles and a little zip pocket for things like Sport Beans. I find myself sipping water throughout my run, rather than downing a bottle at a time. I love the belt when I fill the two front bottles but for some reason, if I fill the back 2 bottles, the belt shugs up and down and I spend most of my run fighting with it. I"ve contacted the company and talked with folks at the sport store where I bought the belt, but apparently no one else in the entire world has had this problem, so I wouldn't let it deter you. Stay hydrated!

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    7. Jun 24, 2011 12:20 PM (in response to Guy Grim)

I'm a Fuel Belt fan also.  But I replaced the 8 oz bottles for 10oz bottles and like it better.  I have both the 2 and 4 bottle version depending on the length of the run.  It did take a bit of getting used to but I wouldn't dare run long without it now.  I like the way the contour of the bottles fit your hand and have learned how to pull, open with teeth, drink and put back in the belt without missing a beat. I know, you're thinking "pretty talented...lol".   I drink as often as I feel I need to but not guzzles more medium sips.  I also carry some cash and if I'm on a particularly long and hot run will stop in somewhere along the way for water and drink a bottle on the road.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• Jessica21094 Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 8, 2010
    8. Jun 25, 2011 5:29 PM (in response to Guy Grim)
    Hi! I'm a newbie to running and live in Texas (so its about 105+ here already!!). I've been running mostly in the morning while its still only 90 but have wondered about hydration myself. I have a Camelbak that I use when I mountain bike and was wondering if anyone has used this while running??? I forget I have it on while I'm on the bike but haven't tried it while running yet. It holds 2L (so 2 hours). Anybody have any comments??? Or any suggestions regarding running in Texas? (I currently run about a 12-min mile and can go about 2.5 miles). Thanks!!!
  • Billiken on the Run Pro 135 posts since
    Nov 28, 2007
    9. Jun 25, 2011 5:37 PM (in response to Jessica21094)

Hi! I have a Camelbak (not sure which model or size). It doesn't have a chest strap or waist strap and therefore bounced around a lot when I tried to run with it. Give it a shot - you'll probably agree that it moves too much to be comfortable. (Sorry, I don't know squat about running in Texas.)

Joe

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...