Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

944 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2011 12:00 PM by Francessmom
Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
Feb 11, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 20, 2011 7:37 AM

High Blood Pressure - who me?!

I am a 46 year old triathlete/ runner.  I have just been diagnosed with high blood pressure on Thursday. High blood pressure runs in my family.  However I never thought it would happen to me.  I am 5 feet tall and weigh 105 lbs.  I eat very healthily - lots of fresh foods, no added salts and I read labels to avoid sodium.  Caffeine only in am in form of one cup of tea.  I exercise at least 6 days a week - either running, biking or swimming and sometimes a combination of two in one day.  My resting heart rate tends towards the low 50's.  My doc put me on Ziac which has brought my pressure down to normal and relieved my massive haedaches.  I have tried to go for a training run of 3 miles but had to stop after 1.5 because I was really hot and sweaty.  I am not an excessive sweater normally. I had no probl;ems with a recent swim and bike. I have a follow up with my doc in 2 weeks.  In the meantime - I was wondering if anyone else has any experiences like this and how they deal.  I have a 5 k this coming Friday that I am afraid I won't be able to finish.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• John425 Pro 184 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 20, 2011 11:18 AM (in response to Francessmom)
    Re: High Blood Pressure - who me?!

Hi Francessmom.  For me, high blood pressure is hereditary.  I began taking medications when I was 23 and I am now 63 so I have been living with it a long time.  I am currently taking 2 different medications, a beta blocker and an ace inhibitor.  I am supposed to be taking 3, the third being HCTZ.  HCTZ and your Ziac are both diuretics, or water pills.  This is the reason for your sweating, and also the reason I don't take the pill.  My doctor didn't question me before prescribing it and I naturally sweat heavily even without the pill.  I think the quack is trying to kill me!  At any rate, I have my next appointment next month it is something we will certainly discuss.  As for the other BP meds, an ace inhibitor prevents your blood vessels and arteries from contracting.  A beta blocker, on the other hand, keeps your heart rate low.  Ace inhibitors aren't bad for runners, beta blockers are.  Here's what I do.  I run in the early mornings and I take the ace inhibitor before running.  After the run, I take the beta blocker.  When I race, I put the beta blocker in a small plastic bag with my cell phone and driver license and I take it immediately after crossing the finish line.  I am training for my first full marathon in September and I was a bit concerned with not taking the pill until after the 4 to 5 hour run I expect so I tried running one of my training runs after taking the beta blocker and just forcing my way through.  With the heart rate kept down your energy level will be way down, too.  That was not the thing to do.  When I decided to try pushing my way through it didn't occure to me that the the low heart rate would prevent nourishment from reaching my legs.  It did some damage but luckily it only took a couple weeks to recover.  You really need to talk with your doctor.  Not taking the diuretic will mean that you are not sweating and urinating off the salt he feels is causing a problem.  On the other hand, sweating too much without taking in electrolytes during a run in the summer heat can be dangerous and lead to a hospital stay or death.  And electrolytes are salt so taking a diuretic and then drinking gatorade is somewhat counterproductive.  Yes, it's perplexing.  As far as general health without the running considerations the diuretic is the safest and most desirable medication.  One of the other runners who frequents this board somethimes was quite lucky.  Running brought his BP down without meds.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points