Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7267 Views 49 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2011 10:13 AM by Ericd3043 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • ptgrad2001 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 17, 2011 8:25 PM (in response to JodyW5639)
    Re: Anyone go to races alone?

I ran my first 5K in March 2011 alone. All of my running friends live in other states. Like you, Jody, it was not the running alone that I was worried about, but rather not really knowing what to expect when I got there, the procedure, the route, what do you do when you finish, etc. There were volunteers posted along the route to cheer runners on which was quite helpful. I was disappointed in my time of 31:20. All of my practice runs had been 30:0 or less. Everyone said the actual race would make me go faster and have a faster time... I think my nervousness, unfamiliarity with the course (2 very steep hills), and weather conditions (20 mph winds after major storm the night before) all contributed, but I felt defeated nontheless and had no one to share this with at the time. I have been wanting to register for another race to see if I might do better, but haven't really been able to psych myself to actually search for something in my area. Really hope you do well in your race!!

• runnermommy3 Pro 139 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    18. Jun 19, 2011 5:39 PM (in response to JodyW5639)

Congratulations on your first 5K Jody! I've done 4 races so far, and all of them I've been on my own. My first one I was like you - really nervous about it to begin with, and seeing the thousands of runners around me sort of freaked me out in the beginning...lol. My brother was doing the same race, but he's been in several so he was way up in the more elite corral. But once I started it was amazing! I could go at my own pace, and seemed to stick with the same bunch of runners/walkers through most of it.

My goal the first race was just to finish within the time allowed (miles had to be under 15 min). Luckily I did that, so it counted :) .

So has the race bug bitten you now? I found out that as soon as I finished the 8K, I couldn't wait to do another race!

Carolyn, wife to Chad and mom to three boys

Started WW and C25K on 1/10/11

Starting Weight: 184.4 lbs

Goal Weight: 130 lbs

Current Weight: 131.4

Rookie runner

Race results for 2011:

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 4/10/11 - 1:10:26

Bridge to Bridge 5K 5/7/11 - 39:59

Graham's Sundae 5K 7/31/11 - 38:48

Eagles Run 5K 8/6/11 - 38:28

Run for the Athletes 5K 8/17/11 - 39.04

Pumpkin Run 10K 10/30/11 - 1:12:24

Hot Chocolate 5K 11/5/11 - 34:24 - PR!!!!

Fox and the Turkey Trot 4 miler - 44:34

Snowflake Shuffle 5K - 35:11 - last race of 2011

Race results for 2012:

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 3/25/12 - 56:42!!

• rmtimmons Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 19, 2011
    20. Jun 19, 2011 10:00 PM (in response to JodyW5639)

Jody:

CONGRATULATIONS on your finish!

I participated in my very 1st race yesterday, 6/18/11, in Paducah, KY.  I did the Iron Mom 1/2 Marathon.  I went alone and wasn't near as anxious about being alone until I got there and was in the middle of over 750 runners and thought I was completely crazy.  I thought what in the world am I'm doing here.  I can related to the burning as the same thing happened to me and I thought my legs were going to fall off for the the first 1/2 mile to a mile.  I actually had my cell phone on me per my husband's request because he was worried something would happen to me and he wouldn't be able to find me.  I called him at about the 3/4 mile mark crying and said I wanted to quit because I knew I couldn't keep up with the pace they started at, my legs were burning, and I did not want to be last.  I had a game plan before I went and I wasn't following it whatsoever because I was tyring to keep up.  Anyway he calmed me down on the phone told me to quit trying to do what everyone else was doing and told me to stick to the game plan.  By the way I really don't run but walk fast or very fast I thought.  I knew all the times I had checked my times, front 2 miles vs back 2 miles, I was consistent.  So I knew if I wanted to finish I was going to have to stick to my walking pace.  I was the very last person for the 1st 5 miles and all I could hear was the sound of the "ambulance" behind me that was ready to pick up anyone that struggled.  I finally passed 3 participants and was no longer last and finally could not even see them behind me.  Then came an AWFUL thunderstorm after mile marker 10.  However, at that point I had told the police doing traffic control and the emergency people that came by to tell me how bad the storm was going to be I was not quitting no matter what.  I finshed the race as the last runner to come across the finish line in a torrential downpour which huge amounts of lightning.  Yes, I cried but because I finished.  Now a day later looking at the results and seeing my official time, 3 hrs 40 min I have even more self confidence for many reasons.  I set a few goals prior.  One of those goals was to finish in the the 4 hour time limit, I did.  Another goal was to not be last at first I felt like I had failed but when I was able to see my official time along with my finishing number which was #427 I realized I had accomplished the goal of not being last because there were over 750 people to start the race.  I might have come over the finish line last but I finished and I finished #427 which was NOT last.  The ironic thing of all was the one thing I wanted at the finish line was to see my husband.  I ran the last 2 blocks to the finish hoping to see him at the finish even though there was a horrible storm in progress "he was not there".  He was more upset than me because he had made a point for him and my 2 grandsons to see me at the 10 mile marker and as he tried to get back to the finish which was when the storm decided to hit he got lost and turned around and did not make it.  With all of that said none of this has detoured me from what I have accomplished and am actually looking to see when I can do it again.

So again CONGRATULATIONS on your finish and doing it alone.  You have set an example and that is what is important!

Rhonda

• ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    21. Jun 19, 2011 10:12 PM (in response to JodyW5639)

I have not been to any races alone yet but I have no issues with doing that. The funny thing (for me) is as I have started running races, I always seem to run into people I know, even if we didn't know each other was going to be there. I have ended up running most of the races alone though, because out of my group of friends, people either run much faster or much slower than I do. My goal for the coming year is to take my avg times down so I can run with my friend's husband and a couple of the guys from my first Ragnar. If not.. oh well, I finish just a few minutes after them so it's all good lol. I usually invite my husband to come if I'm not going with someone else, partially because I prefer not to drive home after a race and partially because it's nice to have him there at the finish. If the race starts too early or it's hours and hours away though, I let him off the hook lol.

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

• ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    22. Jun 19, 2011 10:21 PM (in response to ptgrad2001)

I think you should definitely start searching for another local race! I ran my first 5K in 18 years in March and although I did meet up with some friends before we started and then after the finish, I wasn't able to run with them. I don't think any of them came in till 10 minutes after I did, and by then I had found my husband already. I was a little nervous before running that one, thank goodness for muscle memory and my prior training and race day adrenaline, right? I always ALWAYS worry about the possibility of getting lost on a race course, I would get lost in a paper bag if it were possible. I use a gps in my car if I go ANYWHERE away from where I'm familiar, and unmarked or poorly marked courses would be my worst nightmare. One thing to remember, we run for enjoyment, not just for PR, right? When you think of the total number of people who run a race with you, there are sometimes hundreds, or thousands. That's a super time for your first 5K! I guarantee if you find another one and sign up and pay your registration fee, you will then have something cool to work toward and look forward to. It always gives me a little jumpstart after I've paid for a race and know at that point, I'm committed, I can't back out (without dire consequences lol). My next race is another relay and I have 11 other team members I am accountable to, so wussing out isn't even an option not that I would, I am SO looking forward to traveling to Napa! The runs there are going to be gorgeous!

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

• Rachel79 Rookie 60 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    23. Jun 20, 2011 3:38 AM (in response to JodyW5639)

I go to most races alone because my running friends live a couple of hours away and we only meet for "big" races. I don't really mind since there's always someone to talk to. Also, I leave pretty quick after the race. I'm pretty slow so I don't generally stick around for awards. Happy running!

• StevenDMiller Pro 67 posts since
    Nov 21, 2009
    24. Jun 20, 2011 6:36 AM (in response to JodyW5639)

Unfortunately, these days I go to most of my races alone.  When I first started racing, my son or daughter would come with me.  Then my wife started coming.  They took lots of pictures and were there to cheer me on at the finish.  But since none of them run, they slowly but surely got tired of getting up at 5:30 in the morning, earlier for some races.  So, I mostly go by myself these days.  And that means no pictures.  Sometimes I'll get someone to take a before and after shot, but not all the time.  Lately, I have been meeting up with friends form the online social forum www.dailymile.com.

You can't beat the friends you make at these races.  I have met a lot of great people.  Usually we get to hang and talk while waiting for the results.  So, while I'm a bit disappointed that my family doesn't come, I have gained a rich and supportive running family!

Real athletes run, others just play games!

http://sdmiller57.blogspot.com/

http://www.dailymile.com/people/stevemilller

• j9blair2 Expert 40 posts since
    May 6, 2011
    25. Jun 20, 2011 8:17 AM (in response to StevenDMiller)

I will be going to my first race on Saturday alone.  Somehow my husband agreed to come at the end so he could take a picture of me as I'm crossing the finish line.  I was kinda surprised, because the race will be early Saturday morning and usually he sleeps in.  But I also figure this is also the only time he'll be there.

The funny thing is I'm most nervous about getting lost.  I did a dry run of the first half of the race and there were a lot of places where the trail splits off and I wasn't sure which way to go.  I ended up taking a wrong turn, so I hope the race is clearly marked.  I wouldn't be that worried because I could just follow the group - but there is also a 10k running at the same time.  I just keep telling myself if I end up doing the 10k on accident I can just run/walk but I would rather do the 5k.

Jeanine

Started C25K: 4/28/11

Proud to Run 5k: 6/25/11 ~42:36

Chicago Women's Half Marathon: 6/24/12 ~2:49:59

Chicago Fleet Feet Super Sprint Triathlon: 8/24/12 ~1:11:28

Hot Chocolate 15k Chicago: 11/04/12 ~2:10:48

Commitment Day Chicago: 1/1/13 ~not timed

Soldier Field 10 Mile: 5/25/13 ~2:17:06

• StevenDMiller Pro 67 posts since
    Nov 21, 2009
    27. Jun 20, 2011 8:52 AM (in response to Rachel79)

Remember, sticking around supports all those runners that do win awards.  I must tell you, I get a little ticked off to see everyone leave.  What is worse is when people that get early awards leave.  That means the older runners, like me, don't have anyone around when we get our award!

Real athletes run, others just play games!

http://sdmiller57.blogspot.com/

http://www.dailymile.com/people/stevemilller

• Kathy94463 Amateur 14 posts since
    Dec 12, 2010
    28. Jun 20, 2011 9:08 AM (in response to JodyW5639)

Jody,  I am the only one in my family and circle of friends to run...I have talked one friend into running with me once or twice, but she isn't really 'into it'.  I have travelled to races alone, and if I'm lucky, my husband will show up at the end to watch me come in (but only if the race is local, and he doesn't have something else to do).  I do wish he and my friends were more interested, but I've discovered the running community is usually pretty friendly, I meet alot of nice people at each race I go to.  Just keep going and pretty soon you'll have a whole new circle of friends that you'll see at each race you go to!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points