Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6871 Views 61 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2011 5:46 PM by mick0007 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
dironstarr Rookie 21 posts since
Apr 18, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 27, 2005 10:53 PM

Tights?

Just curious if anyone is still self concious about wearing running tights (not the loose ones)?

I was at first but quickly got over it....even though the wife still get a chuckle out of me in them. I admit, they do look a bit funny, imo, but the need to run overcomes any self conciousness.

Before I became a runner I couldn't imagine myself wearing them.

• equinox marathon 43016 Rookie 232 posts since
    Nov 2, 2006
    1. Oct 28, 2005 7:46 AM (in response to dironstarr)
    Re: Tights?

quote:

Originally posted by dironstarr:

Just curious if anyone is still self concious about wearing running tights (not the loose ones)?

I was at first but quickly got over it....even though the wife still get a chuckle out of me in them. I admit, they do look a bit funny, imo, but the need to run overcomes any self conciousness.

I'm nowhere near as self-conscious about it as I used to be. A few years ago I weighed close to 300 pounds and I used to wear them in the winter for running. Today I weigh between 165 and 170, and I'm not self-conscious about them at all...even though I get wise-crack remarks from people every now and then. Usually I just flip them off.

----

Lifetime entrant, bib #43, of the Equinox Marathon.[/URL" target="_blank">

My website[/URL" target="_blank">

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• MGinNYC Amateur 180 posts since
    Jan 18, 2005
    2. Oct 28, 2005 9:38 AM (in response to dironstarr)

This topic was debated at length last winter.  So, FWIW, I’m a guy and I wear tights when it falls below 45 degrees or so, with shorts over them for modesty and so that I have somewhere to put my keys and chapstick.  They’re much more comfortable than looser pants, IMO.
    MG

• pvoss Rookie 7 posts since
    Aug 15, 2001
    3. Oct 28, 2005 9:43 AM (in response to dironstarr)

No, a great majority of the runners in Boston wear them in cool weather.  No worries.  The key thing is you have to be actually outdoors in a running-related activity (no wearing them to restaurants or the movie theater as casual lounge wear.  )

The time I was self-conscious was  many years ago in high school, the first few times wearing them in cross country practice.  But that was because I was slow and junior.  Wearing tights then was more for the varsity kids, the conceptual equivalent of wearing red suspenders on Wall Street.

• LeftRightRepeat Pro 1,452 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    4. Oct 28, 2005 9:48 AM (in response to dironstarr)

I wear them. My running pals say they make my butt look like JLo's!!!!

And frankly, I wear them because they're practical and comfortable. I don't care much about what others think about me in them. (But I wear shorts down to the low 30's before I switch over.)

----

->>>John[/URL" target="_blank"><<<-
    Founder of the
    Newbie Wiki[/URL" target="_blank">

• comet034 Rookie 231 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Oct 28, 2005 10:34 AM (in response to dironstarr)

I always wore tights and never thought much about it.  However, I recently discovered running pants that are not quite tights, but still tight, but just a little bit looser.  I wear them now just for the comfort, because I don't really like something clinging to me. 

----

The road goes on forever
    and the party never ends.

Robert Earl Keen

• Dave26point2078 Rookie 19 posts since
    Feb 23, 2004
    6. Oct 28, 2005 12:38 PM (in response to dironstarr)

My fraternity brothers passed a resolution that I would be permitted to wear tights while running, but only if I did not wear any letters or insignia while doing so.

• joescool Rookie 88 posts since
    Jul 3, 2002
    7. Oct 28, 2005 1:50 PM (in response to dironstarr)

quote:

I wear them, even go commando!  Underwear with tights isn't very comfortable.

• ced53 Legend 727 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    8. Oct 28, 2005 3:26 PM (in response to dironstarr)

Training:
    Just a layers issue. Below 45 or so I go long and the first set up is underwear and running pants ("almost tights" or LL Bean). Below 20 I'll add tights under the running pants.

Racing:
    Shorts down to about 30. Below that just tights (wiht undies). Once at the Derry Boston Prep 16 miler I wore all three (and my thighs were still burning from cold, but it was about 0 deg).

-Craig

• rmccann99 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 6, 2005
    9. Oct 28, 2005 4:31 PM (in response to dironstarr)

30 degrees is my cut-off for shorts.   Tights come on when it gets below 30.   I never felt sub-conscious about it, seems to be the leggins of choice round these parts.  (chicago suburbs)

• tjsnow Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 2, 2005
    10. Dec 10, 2005 9:55 AM (in response to dironstarr)

Nope.  Been wearing them for about 20 years now.  Practical and comfortable.

• Jeri from Houston Rookie 48 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Dec 10, 2005 11:40 AM (in response to dironstarr)

quote:

Never was self concious and have been wearing them since they first came out. My first pair was from Moss Brown. Not even sure that company is around these days. The only time I remember anyone staring at me was a famer in Bib Overalls in a rural town when they first came out. I have always worn them over my running shorts the way they were intended. If I take them off I don't want to have to go to a dressing room to do it. Have no rules of when I wear them.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

Jeri from Houston

• Econo011 Legend 1,429 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Dec 10, 2005 12:10 PM (in response to dironstarr)

Here's an idea.  Go to a store or website that has dancing supplies and buy some men's black tights.  They are built for movement.  Then just wear them under your favorite shorts or warmups or whatever.  No one will know they're dancing tights.

• ljwoodw Rookie 485 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Dec 10, 2005 1:08 PM (in response to dironstarr)

quote:

Originally posted by Dave26point2:

My fraternity brothers passed a resolution that I would be permitted to wear tights while running, but only if I did not wear any letters or insignia while doing so.

The fact that it was even an issue means there's yet another reason to despise fraternities.

• runbob ny Amateur 50 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Dec 10, 2005 6:59 PM (in response to dironstarr)

This topic must be in the CR's Top 5!  It seems there are always at least there threads on the various message boards everyweek about tights etc..

I don't have any awkwardness re tights anymore--been wearing them for about 5 or 6 years and it's second nature to me now. They're warmer and feel great, though I'm no George Clooney, I think I look alright in 'em...

It's funny 'cause lately I seem to notice the runners who wear baggy sweat pants or nylon wind pants more than folks in tights.  I think the sweat pants crowd look more goofy and awkward sometimes than folks in tights (whether we have Olmpian bodies or not)...

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...