Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5941 Views 61 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2011 5:46 PM by mick0007 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • SportiGrl Pro 470 posts since
    Jul 22, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Dec 11, 2005 12:23 AM (in response to dironstarr)
    Re: Tights?

I feel weird wearing tights in public  ... but I also get cold easily and wear my tights under another pair of running pants or sweatpants  ...

... and the goofy thing is I work in a bathing suit only, lol   ... go figure!

• run50096 Amateur 50 posts since
    May 24, 2004
    16. Dec 11, 2005 12:27 AM (in response to dironstarr)

I've walked into the store and the highs school in them. My kids protested the school bit thou.

• ljwoodw Rookie 485 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    17. Dec 11, 2005 2:12 PM (in response to dironstarr)

And for good reason!

I draw the line there. They are great technical gear for running, but there is no reason to wear them to the mall, to the school, to work, to the cocktail party, etc.

Bostonian runners are the worst offenders, I think.  It's like they want to advertise to the world that they're runners.

• joescool Rookie 88 posts since
    Jul 3, 2002
    18. Dec 12, 2005 9:29 AM (in response to dironstarr)

I wear them.  Nothing over/under.  Very comfy.

Does anyone wear them at the gym?  I notice quite a few women wear them there.  Have noticed only 1 guy wearing tights at the gym.  I've considered it but don't think I ever would.  Only for "cold" weather running (outdoors).

• dgb2n_2 Amateur 136 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Dec 12, 2005 2:11 PM (in response to dironstarr)

Does anyone else run around the living room in tights and an under armor long sleeve shirts yelling "I'm super Dad" in front of their kids just to get a laugh out them.

Does that constitute self concious !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

----

My Running Log[/URL" target="_blank">

• markm0027 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 8, 2003
    20. Dec 27, 2005 8:01 AM (in response to dironstarr)

quote:

Originally posted by joescool:

I wear them. Nothing over/under. Very comfy.

Does anyone wear them at the gym? I notice quite a few women wear them there. Have noticed only 1 guy wearing tights at the gym. I've considered it but don't think I ever would. Only for "cold" weather running (outdoors).

I started wearing them to the gym, I have a blood clot (stable, not going anywhere) in my leg and need to wear them to keep my leg from getting too swollen. I usually am te only guy wearing them.

Wait until I have to wear them at the park this summer. I may have to keep working out in the air conditioning.

• Richardsimmons Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 29, 2005
    21. Dec 27, 2005 9:04 AM (in response to dironstarr)

quote:

Originally posted by dgb2n:

Does anyone else run around the living room in tights and an under armor long sleeve shirts yelling "I'm super Dad" in front of their kids just to get a laugh out them.

Does that constitute self concious !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

Hehe.....I guess not. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

As for myself, I ALWAYS wear tights. I have a pair of white ones and a pair of shiny rose-colored ones....LOVELY!  clapping They accentuate my legs.

• runwjc Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 11, 2005
    22. Dec 27, 2005 2:47 PM (in response to dironstarr)

Ive done the 'super-Dad" thing, my son said "Dad, YOU are wierd!" but he did laugh, which was the ultimate goal, so it worked for me  I like wearing tights (short or long) my inner thigh rubs when I run (need i explain) I figure that people that gawk/comment on them really want to be out running instead of what they are presently doing. ?

----

Jesus is Lord! Shamrock 3/06, Bethel Hill Midnight Boogie (50 miler) 6/06

• seanvanv Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 9, 2005
    23. Dec 31, 2005 11:09 AM (in response to dironstarr)

wear them all the time. What is to be self concious about?

Jul 3, 2002
    24. Jan 3, 2006 11:56 AM (in response to dironstarr)

quote:

Originally posted by seanvanv:

wear them all the time. What is to be self concious about?

Well if you go commando with the tights, it has to do with "things" showing through!  

• Johnnystella088 Rookie 16 posts since
    Jul 16, 2004
    25. Jan 22, 2006 7:13 AM (in response to dironstarr)

I wear them when I'm either in a race or training on a cold day.  I don't wear shorts over them, but unlike some of the guys here, I wear something under.  It's not necessary for others to make out my package and corresponding urethral opening.

• only15 Rookie 6 posts since
    Feb 2, 2006
    26. Feb 2, 2006 1:15 PM (in response to dironstarr)

I'm only turning fifteen, and I bought cheap biking/running tights. What is the best way of getting over the "self conciousness"? Personally, I think wearing tights is way more comfortable than normal pants, but I'm a bit shy.

Jul 3, 2002
    27. Feb 3, 2006 9:30 AM (in response to dironstarr)

quote:

Originally posted by only15:

I'm only turning fifteen, and I bought cheap biking/running tights. What is the best way of getting over the "self conciousness"? Personally, I think wearing tights is way more comfortable than normal pants, but I'm a bit shy.

Yes, the comfort comes from not wearing anything over or under!  You may start by wearing a long tshirt.  This is how I started.  Eventually I got over it.  In my case though, I have a small package and I get shrinkage too!!  So wearing anything under really serves no purpose!

• only15 Rookie 6 posts since
    Feb 2, 2006
    28. Feb 5, 2006 4:49 AM (in response to dironstarr)

It is also a question of hygiene.

• door knob Rookie 17 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    29. Feb 5, 2006 9:52 AM (in response to dironstarr)

I wear the loose ones  By far more comfortable and a bit warmer.  I do not get self conscious in the tight ones, but in rural areas, people could draw conclusions from seeing a woman wear close fitting tights.  I wear shorts over tight ones when I happen to wear those, for that reason.  In heavily populated areas like Boston, there is no reason to worry about being attacked or raped.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...