Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

602 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2011 11:23 AM by ChandraBellinger
ChandraBellinger Rookie 3 posts since
Jun 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 20, 2011 11:11 AM

Burning in lungs...just a beginner

Hi all!

I realize this is probably just because I am out of shape but I started the C25k today and WOW the burning in my lungs! I also felt weakness in my calf...Is this normal and will I be able to build past it?

Thank you!

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,164 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 20, 2011 11:20 AM (in response to ChandraBellinger)
    Re: Burning in lungs...just a beginner

Traumatic breathing is one of the first things you will encounter, and  one of the first you will overcome. I thought I was going to die when I  started training, even calling my Mom to say goodbye just in case. I was  winning trophies a year later, lol. Of course you want to be cautious. A  raw throat or irritated lungs, the taste of blood in the mouth - though  not necessarily unusual - may make you more vulnerable to some airborne  pathogens. Fortunately for you the weather is warming and the humidity  will be easier on your lungs, though there is less oxygen in warmer air  and less muscular blood flow to carry it (due to shunting of blood to  the skin for cooling). Just take it easy and allow your body a chance to  adapt. As long as you do not drive yourself to failure, your body will  reward your courtesy with continual improvement, probably for at least  another 10 years if you stick with it and don't run too far too soon, or  too fast.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points