Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

919 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 20, 2011 12:08 PM by BOSNPM RSS
Micah49 Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 19, 2011 9:12 AM

How to determine target pace for marathon.

I am running the Rock n Roll Seattle Marathon next Saturday. This is my fourth marathon but the first that I have actually completed a full training schedule. I peeked at 55 miles per week and completed a 20 mile training run in 2:42 (8:08 pace). I felt good at the end of at run but am nervous about trying to go 10 seconds a mile faster and 6 miles further.  I want to target 3:30, but am scared that I will fall apart in the last 5-6 miles.   The pace calculators say that 3:30 is reasonable, but I don't know wether to trust them.  Anyone have an opinion about whether 3:30 is a reasonable goal?  I have been running for about 2 years and slowly built to the 50 mile a week load I have had this last training cycle.  I have been injury free this time.  Not sure what other info would help, but I will provide any answers anyone generous enou to think about this would like to have.  Thanks very much.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 20, 2011 12:08 PM (in response to Micah49)
    Re: How to determine target pace for marathon.

I have found the race calculators, I used McMillan to work well for me in all races.  My marathon issues which I have had the last two times were because I went out to fast (you cannot bank time in a marathon).  I would guess you can run 8:00 and that will make your time.  In a marathon it is two races the 1st 20 and the last 10K.  Run your 8:00 pace, early in the race you should good HR down if not then ease up a little.  Good luck, be sure to take fuel as often as you can, for me the last 10 miles or so it gets very hard to take any!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points