NEED HELP?|

1213 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2011 11:55 AM by Mike_CVUA
WCLLUMP Amateur 18 posts since
Jul 17, 2004
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 21, 2011 12:17 PM

Batting Order First Time Thru

Hi,

Using Major League Rules, I heard for the first time recently that the batting order the first time through the order is the official batting order, not the batting order tendered on paper before the game.  In other words, the first nine batters must bat before the first batter comes to bat again.  At that time, the batting order is established.

So, if a batting out of order occurs in the first inning, it is not batting out of order because the order has not been completed once.

Anybody want to shed some light on what I heard form a fellow umpire?

Thanks.

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Jun 21, 2011 1:14 PM (in response to WCLLUMP)
    Re: Batting Order First Time Thru

You heard incorrectly.

The order is what you hand the plate umpire at the plate conference before the game. It matters not what happens during the first time, or next times through the order.

Have your fellow umpire buy you a beer.

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Jun 23, 2011 5:24 AM (in response to WCLLUMP)

Kyle is correct.

Take a look at 4.01(a), (b) and (c).

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    4. Jun 27, 2011 11:55 AM (in response to WCLLUMP)

Whoa!  Someone has been smoking some bad vegetation here!

What matters in the list of names on the lineup card that the umpires get from the managers.  Names!  Not Numbers!

And, the defense may let the other team bat out of order many times until they get a chance where the offender gets a hit, and THEN they make the appeal.

That is why a) getting the lineup is so important, and b) why the ump needs to know substitutes in the lineup when the happen.

I have had maybe 3 BOOs in my experience, but they were all done right, and the proper batter was called out.  Ended a game on one where the imporper batter had just tied the game with 2 outs.  Smart manager!

Mike CVUA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...