Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6000 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2011 3:50 PM by Julie Ann Hackett RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 17, 2011 8:18 AM (in response to christine94)
    Re: After race drink...

I drink Ensure plus. 350 cals, 13g of protein, vitamins and omega 3 for your tired heart. It comes in 4 flavors: Vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, butter pecan. If our cancer patients recover from radiation treatment it must be good for recovering from a long run. You won't be hungary after drinking one even after you just burned through 2600 calories.

• ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    16. Jun 18, 2011 3:52 PM (in response to christine94)

Right after a race I'm just looking for water. I usually drink a whole bottle before I look around for the line to get oranges, bagels, whatever else is available. Usually within the first 20-30 min after, I am typically STARVING and count on my friends to want to go have brunch, lunch, or dinner somewhere before we head home lol. I know it's important to hydrate, so I usually do have about 2 bottles of water right away, I might have gatorade or something if it was cold, but I don't think I'd want milk. I don't drink milk plain anyway, I use it in coffee and sometimes cook with it (in sauces, soups, etc) and have it in smoothies but the idea of just drinking it after a race bleh. I might just bring a few protein bars with me to my next race and eat those after I drink the water.

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    17. Jun 22, 2011 3:50 PM (in response to christine94)

I usually drink heed or some type of electrolyte drink mixed with chia seeds while I'm working out.  After I'm done my workout and cooldown I drink chocolate milk.  We use whole raw milk (non-pasturized, non-homogenized, lots of good pro-biotics), raw honey and cocoa powder.  I'm not a big eater right after I work out and the chocolate milk goes down just fine with no upset tummy.  If you are having trouble keeping some protein down right after your workout, make sure you are taking the time to cool down properly.  Try getting your heartrate down to 50-60% before your recovery drink/meal.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...