Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2592 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2011 5:45 AM by freesia777 RSS
freesia777 Pro 98 posts since
Mar 13, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 24, 2011 5:28 AM

Just finished C25K.  When will it get easier, or, dare I say, fun?

Hi all,

I'm a total newbie, but I'm posting in General Discussion in hope of getting feedback from those who have been running awhile too.

I just finished C25K this week- it took a little over three months and some repeated workouts.  I can now successfully run 30 minutes without stopping - about 2.3 miles at my penguin pace.  But it is still SO HARD for me to do.  My time line goes something like this:

Minutes 1-13 -- "Hey, this isn't so bad.  Wow, look, I ran a mile!"

Minutes 14-20 -- "Oh my goodness, I'm going to die!"
Minutes 21-25 -- "Cool, I think I've found my rhythm"

Minutes 26-30 -- "Oh my goodness, I'm going to die!  Isn't it time to stop yet?!"

When does it get easier?  Is it just because this is the first time in 30+ years that I've exercised and I'm expecting too much too soon?  I read threads full of newbies that are running 10 minutes miles, going right onto B210K, hitting that 30 minute mark and feeling like they can go on forever, etc.  I am no where near that.  I plan on continuing the 30 minute runs for awhile before even thinking of moving on to something else, but it's a little frustrating.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kate

Kate in NH

Started C25K: 03/16/2011

First 5K: 06/04/2011 (Over the River and Through the Woods 5K, Concord, NH): 40:30!!

Second 5K: 08/04/2011 (Thunder Chicken 5K, Portsmouth, NH): 39:32!!

Third 5K: 10/09/2011 (Great Island 5K, New Castle, NH): 38:18!!

Current words to live by: "4 mph is faster than the couch" --FaithInSC

• Zarika Amateur 13 posts since
    May 14, 2011

I'm also a newbie, just finished my first 5K race last week.  I don't have much advice, just some encouragement.  It's perfectly fine to not feel ready to move forward.  I don't know, but maybe you're pushing too hard on your runs.  I think during training there are going to be some uncomfortable runs, but it probably shouldn't be every one.  Maybe you just need to slow down a bit. Take it  a little easier for a while.  Keep running 30 minutes, but go at a pace where you don't feel miserable around the 15 minute mark.  It does get more fun.  I used to hate it, then I became indifferent, now there are days I enjoy it and days where I don't want to go.  On days where I don't want to head out the door I think about how great I feel when I'm done and that gives me motivation.

Good luck!

• Nanette Vogler Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 5, 2011

Go out and run a short run...maybe 1-1.5 miles only and you will feel that its so easy.  All your energy is focused on the larger distances that are still hard for you, but if you run a short one, you will be amazed at how much you really have accomplished.  And, because its only 1-1.5 miles, I bet you will find yourself running faster because you mentally know you dont have to store up your energy for a 2.5 mile run

Given that, just imagine what it will feel like when you continue on this path and struggle to run 4 miles....and then go to a 5k and run a 3.3 without worry!

• emiss Pro 70 posts since
    Feb 7, 2011

Hi Kate,

One thing that's worth mentioning is that I know for myself that I tend to post more when things are going well (those great Forsest Gump "I could go on forever" moments).  But, the reality is, I have days that are just horrible and I'm sure everyone does.  There are days when I feel like I'm going to die and other days that feel great.  I agree with what people are saying about taking the pressure off yourself and just getting out there and doing whatever pace and distance feels good.  Even if it's just a mile that feels great, go with that; if you put too much pressure on yourself it will get frustrating.  One thing I've done when I start to get burned out  is trying to stop when I'm still happy, even if it cuts my run a bit short.  Just try not to compare where you're at with anyone else, it will just make you nuts; instead celebrate all of your victories.  They all count, even if they seem small right now.  You're out there doing it and you're doing great!

Elaine

Completed Races:

3/19/11 Holy Grail 5K 36:20 (First 5K)

4/10/11 Wellness 5K 30:48

4/23/11 Stonyfield 5K 30:28

5/7/11 Dover 5K: 29:39

5/23/11 Get Fit in May 5K 29:44

5/29/11 Redhook 5K 29:32 (PR)

6/11/11 Market Square 10K 1:08:40 (First 10K)

8/18/11 Saunders 10K 1:07:35.49

9/5/11 St. Charles Childrens' Run: 29:54

9/10 Fox Point 5 Mile: 49:03

9/25 Holy Grail 5K: 32:33 (with bronchitis)

10/9 Great Island 5K 32:54.23 (still with bronchitis)

11/13 Seacoast 1/2 Marathon: 2:31:39 (1st 1/2 Marathon)

1/1/12 First Run 10K 1:4:45 (PR)

2012 Races:

2/19/12 Half at the Hamptons 2:28:18 PR

3/24/12 Holy Grail 5K 28:17 PR

4/21/12Whale of a 5K (first trail race) 30:24

3/30/12April Fools 4 Miler 36:39 (9:10mm)

6/12/12 Margaritas 5K 27:52 (9mm) PR

• Jessica21094 Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 8, 2010

I am also a newbie. I started the C25K back in January and got about 2/3 through it when a knee injury sent me back to walking. I am running again but I have found another training program that I use instead of following the C25K. I use MiCoach by Adidas. The first run is an assesment run and then it sets your zones to paces that are accurate for what you can do (there are 4 levels: easiest, easy, medium, and hard). I have been using it for a while now and I love it. I have it on my android phone and it tells me when I fall out of my zone or if I'm going too fast (usually the case). Since I've started this, I've increased my running to 2.5 miles at a time and love it!! My problem (which some other people have already suggested may be yours as well) is that I would push myself too hard. I have several friends who run and I was always thinking "They can run a 6/7 min mile, so I can". Yea, not when you start out!!! I am averaging around 12:17 per mile and realize now that it will take time to get to that higher level. I agree that you should either go shorter distances or, if you are set on a certain distance, slow down so you enjoy your whole run. This will boost your confidence and you will enjoy it more. Worse case is that running isn't for you and you need to find someother form of exercise that you enjoy (I also Mountain Bike with my husband as he HATES running!!). Good luck!!!

• SherryWTN Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 26, 2011

Kate,

Congrats on getting moving!  I did C25k about three years ago.  I am still a very slow runner, but I've learned some lessons.  First a couple of quotes - You don't have to go fast; you just have to go.  And my favorite - Find your happy pace.  If you haven't yet discovered the running coach, Jeff Galloway, I suggest you go to his website and review his info and consider buying a book or two.  I went to one of his running retreats a couple of years ago.  He autographed a book I bought.  His message in my book - Enjoy every run!  That's really hard to do when you feel like you're going to die.  I really resisted his advice for a long time; 'real runners' don't run 1 minute then walk 1 minute.  But at the beginning of summer in the south, the heat and humidity hit hard and heavy, and I was struggling with two different injuries.  Runs, even with 4:1 intervals, were just torture.  No better word.  So I got up one morning and decided to just TRY 1:1 to see how I felt.  I enjoyed that run!!!  Felt awesome!!! And my average pace was only a few seconds slower than my average pace doing 4:1s.  So for about four weeks now, I've been doing 1:1 and loving it.  I occasionally throw in some other interval, but typically do 1:1.  I did run:walk for an hour and ten minutes this morning, and I could've easily kept going.  Had to quit b/c I ran out of time.  Six weeks ago, an hour of 4:1 would've killed me instead of energizing me.  So for now, it's 1:1 and keep moving for me.  When I recover from injuries and lose my last 20 pounds, and when the weather cools again, I'll look at other options.  My personal goal is to be able, some day, to use '5 miles' and 'easy run' in the same sentence, without walk breaks.  But I'm a long way from that right now, and that's okay.  In the meantime, I will try to Enjoy Every Run!  Best of luck, and keep running!

Sherry

• jeljohns Pro 106 posts since
    Jan 4, 2011

Also a newbie. I've been running exactly a year. I also took a long time to finish C25K, and when I did finish I could only run 2 miles in the 30 minutes.  Most of this year running has been really REALLY hard for me. I had times when I asked this exact same question..."When does it get easier, or fun?"  Now, I can't answer when it gets easier, because it is still NOT easy for me. I have days where I just can't push through or my pace is a 13 min/mi. But I also have days where my pace is under 11 min/mi and I can do 3 miles pretty easily and feel great afterwards. I think it became fun for me when I started entered 5Ks.  When I ran my first 5 miles without stopping was a huge mental boost too.  So....it does get more fun, but I believe it's always going to be hard work for me. I don't have a runner's body and before last year was not physically active at all! I hurt my knee and have to be extra diligent about strength training to prevent injury again. So I have to do a lot of non-running work to keep me running!

Keep at it!

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010

I second the "relax and don't hold yourself up to someone else's standard" sentiments.  The fact that you're still looking forward and striving to do good things for yourself puts you WAY ahead, miles and miles, literally, than where you were.  Find a strategy like the 1:1 that works for you and takes you out of purgatory.  Running can be mostly a pleasure, even for you who's so new on the path.  With care and a carefully developed good attitude you can visualize yourself into being a runner for the rest of your life.

...& you can find wonderful support here if you just keep with it.

Good luck and keep moving!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• blissrocks Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 26, 2011

In the beginning I felt like you do. I kept asking and wondering when it would "feel" better. Someone finally mentioned to me that I could always run slower, something that never occured to me. That helped a lot, it made the duration of the runs much more bearable and helped me increase my mileage much faster then I had previously been able to. I also found that the later in the day that I ran the easier it was, night being the easiest so back then I'd do most of my long runs very late in the evening.

That being said it was about 9 months into running when I basically stopped feeling like my body had endured an intense beating. My leg muscles feel strong, my runs go smoother and it's no longer horrible it basically feels like a brisk walk now (on most days). I still have days where it's hard now and then and on those days I take a couple of walk breaks or cut my run short if needed.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008

Will running ever be fun for you? I'll be totally honest and tell you that the answer is "maybe".  I know its not PC to say this here, but everyone doesn't love to run and for some people it never gets "easy".  Not to say that is true for you - but I'm just speaking generally.

If you are running because you really love running, then it will be fun for you even when its hard.   I can honestly say I loved running from the very first step I ran.  Not that it is always easy, and not that I am a talented runner - or even a good runner - but just because it clicked for me.  I am a mediocre runner, but I love running and I hope I never stop.

I know you didn't actually say you hate running, but I see posts from people along those lines.  People who hate running but keep doing it and wondering when they will suddenly go out one day and love it.  Again, maybe that will happen, maybe it won't.  If it never happens, then there is nothing wrong with that.  Just decide whether this is something you WANT to do.  If it is, keep at it and it will get easier as you get more conditioned.  How long that takes depends on your individual fitness level and body structure.   And this is my own .02, but it should ALWAYS be fun!  From my point of view, life is just too short to spend a lot of time, effort and energy doing something I hate to do (that isn't absolutely mandatory).  If I didn't love to run, no way would I do it.  I'd do another activity I enjoyed instead because there are many different ways to get in shape.

But that is just me!

Anyway, I hope it does click for you if this is what you really want to do.  There are no guarantees that it will ever be fun for you, but I hope so!  If you come to love running, it will give you many years of satisfaction and joy.  Good luck!

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010

Hi Kate!  Great question and great answers from this amazing community.   I completely agree with all the above answers.  I can honestly say that  when I am running I do not enjoy it.  But when I am done (like an hour later) I like the way I feel.  I like the challenge as well as the success and occasional failure that comes with the challenges the program has laid out.  That being said C25K is not for everyone and like someone else said, you might decide running is not for you.

I have three suggestions for you is one I am taking on for myself (also a penguin- and even slower than you based on the numbers you've given).  1) Step back into the program and try to complete it for distance.  Based on the numbers you listed that would be Week 6 - but I've read plateauing (if that's a word) is good for our bodies, so go all the back to Week 5 Day 1 if you want to.  2)  Ask yourself why you want to run? What are your honest expectations?  3) Stay connected  pick a thread and share your ups and downs (and read other people ups and downs).  I personally love the 200+ thread (unfortunately I qualify), but its real people with real challenges and amazing success stories -I was a lurker long before I started the occasional posts.

Good luck to you - in everything you choose!

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• SherryWTN Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 26, 2011

Kate, Try that last uphill mile with 30 second run/30 second walk. Sometimes even the worst hills are manageable. As for adding distance and still feeling good, please try 30:30 or 1:1 for just one run and see what you think. I've been struggling  with injuries, and two miles was torture. Then I started 1:1, and now i'm working my way back up. Regular, easy morning run:walk is now 3.5-4.  Working on increasing weekend long runs. I'm still struggling with real runners don't walk, but I'm doing more time and distance and more importantly ENJOYING it all than when I was trying for longer run intervals.  You're doing great! Keep moving!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...