Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

834 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 1, 2011 11:41 AM by BradW44
zach1996 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 24, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 24, 2011 1:48 PM

Advice for a serious high school runner

In my freshman year of track, I became one of the fastest runners in a relatively slow state. I currently have a PR of 4 29 in the mile and 1 59 in the 800m.  I finished up my track season last week with a ninth place finish at the New Balance outdoor national championships in the freshman mile.  As happy as I am with my time, losing absolutely disgusts me, and I want to be the best.  Not only the best in my state, but I want to be a national threat.  I want to take the next step this summer by uping my mileage from the usual 35 to 40 miles a week.  My team is one of the favorites to be the state champions, and my coach is concerned that if i push myself to hard, I may be injured, which would theoretically end our chances.  He is also worried that pushing myself to hard could result in me burning out towards the end of the year, considering im still only 15 years old and have only been running for  year.  He told me to research what works best, so i came here.  I want to know what a runner of my age and caliber should be doing in the next 2 months before school starts.  I am not asking the advice of the recreational jogger, or the guy who likes running but isnt very good at it.  I want the advice of a competative runner, a former high school or college runner, or an established coach who has trained many successful runners.  Nothing against everyone else, but this advice will impact my career and I am in need of a way to become the best.

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 1, 2011 11:41 AM (in response to zach1996)
    Re: Advice for a serious high school runner

No offense to you Zach, but you have limited your request to a very small number of people.  Understand as well that many great coaches arent great runners and in fact may not have coached an elite athlete at all.  That doesnt mean they are not a great coach with a ton of knowledge to share.  Since your coach clearly doesnt know what to do with someone who has your talent, I strongly suggest you contact your nearest college coach, explain your situation and see if he/she can help you.  Best of luck!

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...